• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The only bonus from relegation would be that we would have a good chance of promotion, whereas I think another season in League One would see us finish in midtable.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it is too early to know what our promotion chances would be if we did go down.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes and who knows what kind of team we will be fielding when football restarts again.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Macclesfield deducted 7 points for failing to fulfil fixture and non payment of wages, whereas bolton.....

Player
Manager
John King
It's always too early until the season is almost over, but if we went down then - given our relative financial strength - we should be able to capture some good players.
I don't think we really have any idea yet what football will look like when the crisis is over.

Player
Manager
John King
It is now being suggested that the highest place play off team in each division will be promoted and hence we will go down. In terms of fairness that seems utterly ridiculous to me, but why am I not surprised ?

• Sad
Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
I think the suggestion is that Stevenage will be relegated and the second placed NL team promoted. It still stinks however, as none of the play off sides had any more than a one in four chance of promotion, even assuming they ultimately qualified for the play offs, whereas it is reasonable to assume our chances of survival were far greater than that. In addition, a relegation has far greater negative consequences than a play off side missing out on promotion, which they would have anticipated as a likely outcome anyway.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It is now being suggested that the highest place play off team in each division will be promoted and hence we will go down. In terms of fairness that seems utterly ridiculous to me, but why am I not surprised ?
it will come down to a vote and I think this will happen

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Even dafter is that we will be replaced by the team currently in 5th in league two of it happens

Player
Manager
John King
it will come down to a vote and I think this will happen
For the proposal to go through, 75% of clubs need to be in favour. The current bottom three and clubs like Peterborough, Portsmouth and Sunderland will vote against (some for the wrong reasons) so it is not cut and dried yet. It is bloody depressing though.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
For the proposal to go through, 75% of clubs need to be in favour. The current bottom three and clubs like Peterborough, Portsmouth and Sunderland will vote against (some for the wrong reasons) so it is not cut and dried yet. It is bloody depressing though.
Peterboroughs owner has threatened legal action

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can see this rumbling on for a while yet. There is no pleasing everyone whatever decision is made.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is depressing. If we do get relegated it will feel like we were cheated out of a place in L1. I accept that's not entirely rational, had the season played to an end no guarantee we'd have finished in line with our recent good form, but there it is.

10 years ago today, the last time I saw Rovers win away; the 0-3 at Stockport.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
They will have to decide something. They can’t do nothing. If no proposal gets 75%, what happens then?

Player
Manager
John King
They will have to decide something. They can’t do nothing. If no proposal gets 75%, what happens then?
They will have to reach a compromise, hopefully involving play off teams staying where they are. I still think the fairest and least litigious option is voiding: no team has earned, or failed to earn, anything.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They will have to reach a compromise, hopefully involving play off teams staying where they are. I still think the fairest and least litigious option is voiding: no team has earned, or failed to earn, anything.
totally agree with this, no team in a play off position should be promoted, it would be a total farce and dare I say it would undermine the integrity of the league

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There is no completely fair solution. To play devil’s advocate, even if the season was completed as normal, it may be argued that we would have an unfair advantage at home because we have relaid our pitch .

All they can do is to do all they can to minimise the unfairness. I think promoting those in the automatic promotion slots ( now or using average points or whatever), scrapping play- offs and relegation in the top five leagues would be the least worst option. It would mean the EPL enlarging temporarily.

As I have already said, that would solve a number of problems including the unfairness of restarting the EPL behind closed doors at neutral venues.

Player
Manager
John King
I see the Premier League is now trying to blackmail lower division clubs into accepting B teams in return for financial assistance. If that happened I would walk away from football.