• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the key point is that although this crisis is a massive blow to football at all levels, particularly our league and below, when it restarts we will be in a stronger position relative to other clubs. How many other L1 clubs could have afforded to install a new state of the art pitch?

I think a huge number of players will be out of contract and unemployed this summer. What club would sign new players not knowing when they will start work? In fact, a few players with longer contracts might even get made redundant. It will be a buyer's market for players for at least a couple of years, even if most clubs survive.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we will come out of this crisis in a better position than some of our competitors, but it will still be terrible for lower league football if, say, twenty clubs of similar size and history to us go bust. Much of the unique character of the Football League will be lost for ever.

Player
aldo
Colchester are already saying contracts won't be renewed. some 15 players are to leave them. there are going to thousands out of contract very soon. so the EFL need to make decisions now for the player's sakes. and so clubs can move on . also if as there saying there is going to be no fans at games till Jan 21 . that's 9 months away and 6 months of next season what will the club do with those who have got there season tickets I know loads who are saying they're not to bothers as there supporting the club but with getting close to 1000 sold wich, by the way, is amazing support again when you think we don,t even know when the season will finish or even start

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Colchester are already saying contracts won't be renewed. some 15 players are to leave them. there are going to thousands out of contract very soon. so the EFL need to make decisions now for the player's sakes. and so clubs can move on . also if as there saying there is going to be no fans at games till Jan 21 . that's 9 months away and 6 months of next season what will the club do with those who have got there season tickets I know loads who are saying they're not to bothers as there supporting the club but with getting close to 1000 sold wich, by the way, is amazing support again when you think we don,t even know when the season will finish or even start
next season will not likely start in August as clubs will not be able to afford to take players on.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have always marvelled at how many football clubs a country the size of England can support and how resilient they seem to be. Of the original 12 members of the Football League, most are still in the top two tiers and only one has gone completely out of existence. Nearly all of the top 100-150 or so clubs seem to bounce back to where they were. The classic is Accrington Stanley. It’s easy to forget that Lincoln City were a non-league side for many years. Barrow may soon return to the EFL after 50 years.

We are in very difficult times and I’m sure a few clubs might go under but most are seen as community assets and fans tend to do all they can to keep them alive.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think we will come out of this crisis in a better position than some of our competitors, but it will still be terrible for lower league football if, say, twenty clubs of similar size and history to us go bust. Much of the unique character of the Football League will be lost for ever.
I agree and it would be rather ironic if one or two other League One clubs go the way of Bury, thereby leaving a place in the third tier for us next season. That’s not what I would want to happen.

Player
aldo
that's what mp was saying on Facebook the other week it's going to change how football clubs are going to function . with wages and the stupid prices they pay. in a mad kinda way we might get some better players than we would normally not be able to afford. at the end of the day, the EFL need to bring in wage caps so safeguard clubs futures that's what mp has done and we are in a much better place for it

Player
Manager
John King
I have always marvelled at how many football clubs a country the size of England can support and how resilient they seem to be. Of the original 12 members of the Football League, most are still in the top two tiers and only one has gone completely out of existence. Nearly all of the top 100-150 or so clubs seem to bounce back to where they were. The classic is Accrington Stanley. It’s easy to forget that Lincoln City were a non-league side for many years. Barrow may soon return to the EFL after 50 years.

We are in very difficult times and I’m sure a few clubs might go under but most are seen as community assets and fans tend to do all they can to keep them alive.
That is true, but I am not sure this crisis can be compared with any other in the League's history. It is on a far bigger scale.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
at the end of the day, the EFL need to bring in wage caps so safeguard clubs futures that's what mp has done and we are in a much better place for it
I don't want to be overly pedantic and do get the gist of your post AM. However, I'm not aware that MP has introduced any salary cap; what the he is doing is simply paying wages within the club's means which is a basic principle for any sustainable business. Other clubs, even at our level, have significantly different revenues (and cost bases) than us and they should be able to reap the benefits of that by paying their staff (including players) more if they choose to do so. Bringing in wage caps would take us back half a century, and we would ultimately end up with fat cat owners stripping the value out of football.

Ultimately clubs need to safeguard themselves. The worst culprits at present are the Championship clubs, most of whom seem willing to stretch themselves beyond belief in a chance of joining the EPL gravy train. If nothing else, I hope the current situation provides a salutary lesson against unsustainable business models. Without particularly wishing it on any specific club, worse things could happen than a club from higher up the food chain going under.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't want to be overly pedantic and do get the gist of your post AM. However, I'm not aware that MP has introduced any salary cap; what the he is doing is simply paying wages within the club's means which is a basic principle for any sustainable business. Other clubs, even at our level, have significantly different revenues (and cost bases) than us and they should be able to reap the benefits of that by paying their staff (including players) more if they choose to do so. Bringing in wage caps would take us back half a century, and we would ultimately end up with fat cat owners stripping the value out of football.

Ultimately clubs need to safeguard themselves. The worst culprits at present are the Championship clubs, most of whom seem willing to stretch themselves beyond belief in a chance of joining the EPL gravy train. If nothing else, I hope the current situation provides a salutary lesson against unsustainable business models. Without particularly wishing it on any specific club, worse things could happen than a club from higher up the food chain going under.
I think AM was referring to the salary cup which MP believes should be imposed for all EFL clubs when the pandemic is over. He has said that current levels of spending simply won't be sustainable when football resumes.

drwhoman

I cannot see the season being completed other than the PL where huge money is at stake. Even then games behind closed doors at about ten neutral grounds. A bit of a mockery really and a lawyers paradise. I see that all games at under 23 and other junior levels have been cancelled. Standings to be decided later! What a mess, seemingly caused by the sale of live wild animals at a wet market. We sometimes forget the power of nature!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
3 players from fc cologne have tested positive for covid 19

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
3 players from fc cologne have tested positive for covid 19
And it looks like they are still looking for a Bundesliga restart late May. Not sure this is a good idea at all.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Looking at the problems the EPL are having restarting (extensive testing, neutral grounds etc.), I can't see League One clubs being able to afford all that. So, it's gong to be a long time before Rovers play their next match and it's looking increasingly likely it won't be "this season". I'm not even convinced it will be "next season", as I can't see proper games starting for the foreseeable future.

Player
aldo
that's what I was getting at there needs to be one if you see the numbers just in the Championship that's what they are in Debt with its scary . its a ticking time bomb and if they don,t get to the prem some of them will be a new Bolton or worse a Bury

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mainly white with blue at the top, Mark is wearing it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That blue strip on the shoulders is very annoying. Not a big fan myself but at least most of it is white.

Player
aldo
I have got one I never pay full price as I think £50 for a top is way over the odds. but that's just me. also selling 1000 st is amazing