• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It seems that our new home shirt could be blue, judging by the hints from the club and MP. Hmm.......

drwhoman

Interesting. I do have memories of Rovers playing in blue before Dave Russell changed things. Peter Farrell, Tommy Eglington come to mind. Former Everton players so no change for them!

Player
Manager
John King
When I started supporting in the mid eighties we were wearing blue. MP played in one of those teams, which might be the reason for the switch (if it happens). Personally, I think it would be bizarre to revert to it now, given the association of the white shirts with our greatest period under JK and everything that followed.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think it wi!! Be white shot some blue bits on it rather than mostly blue.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Blue would be a bit retro for me. But if they really want retro, why not the 1889 kit of maroon and orange shirts with navy shorts?

Player
Manager
John King
a sad day if the season is encded whether we stay up or are relegated
I don't really see why. It is the most sensible course and gives clubs at our level a better chance of survival. Plus, we might well stay up. Far better to play a full 20-21 season than have several clubs go bust.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The longer we go without a restart, the more likely abandoning the season becomes the favourable option. The availability and costs of all the necessary safety measures are a factor. Also, the likely TV revenue at our level won't make up for the lack of gate money. Far easier to leave players on furlough and allow contracts to run out. When we know when we can start again, we can think about signing players and plan pre-season training.

I think the only decision left is whether the season is voided or not - and if not, how our fate will be decided. If it's by vote of the clubs, I think we may be doomed. But to be positive, we are in a much better financial position than most clubs so I expect us to do well next season, especially if we can hang onto Micky.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the only decision left is whether the season is voided or not - and if not, how our fate will be decided.
I think it would be extremely unfair to relegate teams with games remaining. Look at our position. We spent money to strengthen the team and the results improved massively. We were on an excellent run cut dead by COVID19.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
I think that we will follow the model that Scotland has adopted, therefore there will be rules for the lower leagues and rules for the money making top league! I expect the season will be called to a close now, and that there will be promotion and relegation based upon the final position or a points per game ratio, which is very unfair.

My personal opinion is that I couldnt give a monkeys backside as long as there is football to go back to at some point, and that will be very much dependant upon how long this situation lasts.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Charlton that there are much bigger issues to worry about than football at the moment. However, I still think it is unlikely we will be relegated, even if points per game is used to determine positions, as the playoffs will be cancelled and I am not convinced the fourth placed team in League Two will be promoted automatically. The mood music from the EFL also suggests all relegations could be cancelled this season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t know how it will be resolved but if, as reported, Stevenage won’t be relegated from the FL and only NL side promoted, arguably that sets a precedent which should be followed in L1.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I don't really see why. It is the most sensible course and gives clubs at our level a better chance of survival. Plus, we might well stay up. Far better to play a full 20-21 season than have several clubs go bust.
If fans are not allowed to attend games until January at the ear!jest then teams are likely to go bust

Player
Manager
John King
If fans are not allowed to attend games until January at the ear!jest then teams are likely to go bust
Precisely. Which is why we can't afford to play games behind closed doors and the season needs to be scrapped. Playing with no fans guarantees that lower division clubs will go bust. Cancelling the season and getting rid of players until we can play in front of crowds again improves our chance of survival, it does not reduce it.