• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Starting football again

drwhoman

MP has already said that we won't take legal action ourselves but will piggy back on those bigger clubs that do.
Fair enough RLC but there has to be a decision sometime or the next season we can look forward to is 21-22! I am not sure how many clubs will be left then.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Six clubs near the top of the table have said they will vote against PPG. The plot thickens......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's got the potential to become very messy. Presumably Rovers would also be backers of this approach.

Player
Manager
John King
It's got the potential to become very messy. Presumably Rovers would also be backers of this approach.
I would think so, but having been an honest broker so far, MP probably does not want to get involved in a public slanging match.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Six clubs near the top of the table have said they will vote against PPG. The plot thickens......
Yes. Not surprisingly the clubs in and around the playoffs who would still have a chance of promotion if the games were played. Pboro, Oxford, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Fleetwood and Sunderland. And then you have Rochdale four points above us who want to end it on PPG, again no surprise there.

It’s a real dilemma with conflicted interests and I don’t think we could ever get to a 75% majority verdict for these reasons.

drwhoman

This article summarises the complexity of it all. We all want to get back to supporting the team, in a safe way. I would imagine that the supporters of every club want this. The Division we are in is surely less important?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This article summarises the complexity of it all. We all want to get back to supporting the team, in a safe way. I would imagine that the supporters of every club want this. The Division we are in is surely less important?

It is a complete mess, with clubs predictably backing the solution that serves their immediate interests best. Although “finishing” the season is seen by many as the “fairest” solution, I actually think there is no longer any fair solution - certainly in our league. Things have changed so much. Many players’ contracts will have expired by the restart and mid-table clubs will surely not extend their contracts just to finish the season. If so, they will field weakened teams and the integrity of the competition will be damaged. Let’s stop the season and start to sort out what happens next.

Player
Manager
John King

I don't see why the two are mutually exclusive. It is as easy to end the season by voiding it or postponing it for twelve months or longer, as it is by ending it on points per game. The financial impact is the same.

Finishing the season in a year with different players is preferable to PPG, which is arbitrary and a terrible outcome.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It is a complete mess, with clubs predictably backing the solution that serves their immediate interests best.
Exactly so we are never going to reach a solution that’s fair. I agree with RLC. I think the only solution to this is to void the season and restart again when safe to do so. No winners, no losers.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What if it costs clubs more to end the season than it would to complete the season as Peterborough owner says ?

Player
Manager
John King
What if it costs clubs more to end the season than it would to complete the season as Peterborough owner says ?
I would not entirely trust what he is saying, although I agree with him that PPG should not be used.

If it is not safe to play, it is not safe to play. That is dictated by the virus. But if we resume playing next January, why can't we finish this season then ? The financial loss to clubs will be exactly the same as if the 2020-21 season started on that date.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would not entirely trust what he is saying, although I agree with him that PPG should not be used.

If it is not safe to play, it is not safe to play. That is dictated by the virus. But if we resume playing next January, why can't we finish this season then ? The financial loss to clubs will be exactly the same as if the 2020-21 season started on that date.
nothing agreed at today's meeting, further meeting next monday.

The government will decide if it is safe to.play or not, they appear to favour it starting next month.

If the season was suspended till Jan 2021 then a lot of players will have left the clubs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The government will decide if it is safe to.play or not, they appear to favour it starting next month.
The government have also decided to allow certain year groups back in schools on 1st June but that does not mean they will open the doors. I know a few schools are not willing to do this if they feel it is not safe and currently they feel it is not.

I will not be allowing my children to go back to school at the moment, no matter what the government says.

Already we have players and clubs stating they do not feel safe (at the moment) to continue.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The government have also decided to allow certain year groups back in schools on 1st June but that does not mean they will open the doors. I know a few schools are not willing to do this if they feel it is not safe and currently they feel it is not.

Already we have players and clubs stating they do not feel safe (at the moment) to continue.
But the chances are without a suitable vaccine will anybody truly feel safe ?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
League 2 clubs have voted to end the season and will use points per game for the final table, they havens for the play offs to take.place but there is no decision yet on promotion and relegation.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes. They have said ending the season was the only sensible outcome but want to stage the play-offs although it has still not been decided how the league table will finish. PPG has been mentioned with a weighting to reflect home and away results.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sky sports have it as no teams relegated from league 2, surely this can't be right

Player
Manager
John King
nothing agreed at today's meeting, further meeting next monday.

If the season was suspended till Jan 2021 then a lot of players will have left the clubs.
Finishing the season with different players would have been preferable to points per game. However, it seems PPG is inevitable now.