• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Shrimps v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I noticed the interviewer said it’s strange questioning the desire when you have experienced players and Dawes said it wasnt everyone making me think it was a dig at the likes of CBT, Morris and Lewis who lets face it, did nothing

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I noticed the interviewer said it’s strange questioning the desire when you have experienced players and Dawes said it wasnt everyone making me think it was a dig at the likes of CBT, Morris and Lewis who lets face it, did nothing

And Manny who was shocking first half

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
He was suggesting a clear out is needed, regardless of who is manager is next season. As I keep repeating, I think these players had the ability but the temperament can certainly be questioned.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Interesting that Dawes was non-committal when asked if he wanted the manager's job. He was clear about why the team fell away after Wembley and laid the blame on a few players. If Dawes does get the job, I expect we'll know who they are when the new contracts are offered.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As well as Dawes, the other managers had comments about budgets. Adams reckons Morecambe had the smallest in the league. Duff said he thought Cheltenham and Cambridge were in the bottom six financially. It just shows what can be done with the right manager, playing style and attitude. I daren't dwell on the past season, as it was definitely a big chance missed. We had the talent, but not the organisation and the desire - at least when it mattered.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As well as Dawes, the other managers had comments about budgets. Adams reckons Morecambe had the smallest in the league. Duff said he thought Cheltenham and Cambridge were in the bottom six financially. It just shows what can be done with the right manager, playing style and attitude. I daren't dwell on the past season, as it was definitely a big chance missed. We had the talent, but not the organisation and the desire - at least when it mattered.
Indeed and totally agree with this.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m not judging it on the play offs alone but Dawes in my view isn’t the answer going forward. Happy to have him on the coaching staff though

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting post-match interview from Dawes. While I'd agree with him about the lack of desire in the opening period today from some, we played poorly and the subs had minimal effect in the second half of the home game, so for me, things were not that clear-cut.

On finances, would be surprised Morecambe had the smallest budget, they've had some more investment, but none of the 3 BBTC mentions are top third.

I would be very surprised if Dawes is our next manager or even in with a shout.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting post-match interview from Dawes. While I'd agree with him about the lack of desire in the opening period today from some, we played poorly and the subs had minimal effect in the second half of the home game, so for me, things were not that clear-cut.

On finances, would be surprised Morecambe had the smallest budget, they've had some more investment, but none of the 3 BBTC mentions are top third.

I would be very surprised if Dawes is our next manager or even in with a shout.
I think Dawes was referring to a lack of desire for some time, not just in the first half today.

Player
Manager
John King
I’m not judging it on the play offs alone but Dawes in my view isn’t the answer going forward. Happy to have him on the coaching staff though
It feels like we need someone who has not been involved in the dressing room politics this season. A different voice and a fresh approach.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good to see some emotion from Dawes, shame we don't get that from half the squad on the pitch. It's about time we questioned the players because they have not been good enough. They had a chance today, a real good chance to get stuck in and take the game to Morecambe and that first half was terrible. Let's reboot and get some players that want to play for the shirt and go from there. It's OK having skills but that will only get you so far. We need mentally strong players with positive, winning attitudes..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Dawes was referring to a lack of desire for some time, not just in the first half today.
Yes, got that impression. However he seemed to be pinning a lot of the blame on the outcome down to how certain players failed to start the game with the right determination and desire today. I didn't feel that reflected our failings in the second half of the home leg.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, got that impression. However he seemed to be pinning a lot of the blame on the outcome down to how certain players failed to start the game with the right determination and desire today. I didn't feel that reflected our failings in the second half of the home leg.
That is true, but presumably we had worked on the failings from the first leg since that game, yet the first half performance today was even worse than the second half on Thursday. There was no reaction from the players, which I think is what he was getting at.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Pundits mentioning we are the oldest squad in the league and someone may need to come in and break things up
Pundits mentioning we are the oldest squad in the league and someone may need to come in and break things up
Now that the season is over, it's not what we got wrong, but what we didn't get right, too many poor performances, too many managers, and we're still looking for one, the oldest squad of too many not being good enough for Tranmere, too many goals conceded from set pieces, which has haunted us for quite a few seasons now.
The right balance, the right shape, play to our strengths and the tinkering with the defence every game. Players in wrong positions, Vaughan isolated, our set pieces, not good enough.
Somehow, we had the opportunity to get automatic promotion and we couldn't get enough points from a great position, then we didn't get the play off semi final right
Last summer, along with covid and no fans, was a series of big decisions, Mickey Mellon leaving, hasn't been replaced as yet.
This is why everyone last summer and after Michael Jackson was sacked, the majority of fans wanted someone like Nigel Adkins or the Cowley brothers. We needed our own way of playing, an organised system, and building for the future, we needed a manager who believed in team ethics and togetherness.
What did we get?
You know the answer.
A season that flattered to deceive, a wasted opportunity in a league that was even winnable with the right man in charge. If Cheltenham, Bolton, Cambridge can go up and Morecambe and either FGR or Newport go up through the playoffs, we must be poor.
I'm really disappointed, with the way things have happened to our club since last summer. The club needs stability, the team needs stability, the fans want to see and expect passion, fight, and a positively better group to have a brighter future.
We don't do things easy, but we usually have a really good attempt and wear the shirt with pride. It feels like the direction of the club is totally in disarray. It does feel like the players have let us, the supporters down and to me I believe that next season, we need another season, to give us a platform for the future. We need to invest in the squad and a really good manager, not the poor man's Hobsons choice.

A bad season highlighted by the lack of good leadership and performance on the pitch.
As a club we have to be better than what has been served up in the past nine months or so.

Dave Challinor, please?

If Challinor is under consideration we might have to wait another month to get him with the VNL playoffs being so late this year. The final is on June 20.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If Challinor is under consideration we might have to wait another month to get him with the VNL playoffs being so late this year. The final is on June 20.

Yes that’s the dilemma as they’ll need to make decisions on player contracts before then

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Ahhh well it will be an interesting close season with the comings/goings and the associated speculation.

Player
Manager
John King
Currently 4-2 to Forest Green in the other semi final and going to extra time.