• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Shrimps v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Currently 4-2 to Forest Green in the other semi final and going to extra time.
I wasn’t going to watch it as no interest now but now I t’s in extra time I’ve got it on. Don’t like FGR of course but don’t really want Labadie or Ellison having success either

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Surprised how this has gone, thought Newport would see it out. 3 ex-Rovers on the score-sheet. On balance I'd prefer Newport to go up, less of a money-bags team, despite Labadie and Ellison being on their books. Conditions are awful.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would prefer Newport to reach the final, even if FGR have the bigger financial backing and theoretically represent more of a threat next season. Forest Green getting to Wembley would make a bad day worse.

I hope Morecambe win next week.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Both teams fighting for a place in the final. Maybe our players could learn a thing or two..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Newport it is who have just scored in the 119th minute.

agree I hope Morecambe win at Wembley

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Missed the first half but the second half and extra time of that game were very good in comparison to our game.

While as a team, I'd probably prefer Morecambe to go up, it's likely that Derek Adams will be moving on and their out of contract players have been linked with other clubs at a higher level. It's unlikely they'll show so strongly next season. While Newport also will lose some key players, they've got an experienced manager and likely to be there or thereabouts next season if still in this league.

Going back to the Morecambe goal today, while he could have done better, I'm not in the it was all Manny's fault camp. There didn't appear to be tracking back from the midfield in the build-up and while it was well-placed, Murphy went down late.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I agree that for selfish reasons it would be better if Newport went up, but I hate their style of play and the Morecambe story is something of a fairytale.

I still think Manny was principally to blame for the goal. If he comes that far out of position he simply has to win the ball; he did not, and left a gaping hole in behind for the scorer to run into.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Manny wasn’t the only one at fault but he was involved. We were cut open far too easily but the problem with manny was he miscontrolled a pass early on and I remember let a ball bounce in our area.

I think he’ll leave move to a club down south

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well so ends a case very much of a "what may have been" season. Disappointing, as I thought we could have overturned teh deficit but yesterday we were simply not as good as we needed to be with the desire and determination lacking from my perspective in certain quarters.
Important decision for for MP - hope this time he makes a much better call...

drwhoman

I did not see the game given the time difference but I have really been surprised by the level of criticism against most of the players here on the blog and, indeed, Dawes really laid into them after the match. It was as if many of them had given up before the game and were not listening to Ian. This confirms that many of them have to go. If Dawes gets the job, he need his own squad with a good level of mutual respect. As well known Managers have said in the past. ‘If you do not want to buy in , there is the door’!

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
What a great birthday present that would be if the lads can do it! Fingers crossed guys, let’s get at them from minute one and book another trip to Wembley !
Yes, had the potential to be a great present, even after the defeat. Went to collect the signed shirt today, our original request to have all the players sign, especially Manny as my son's favourite (no accounting for taste), was written down at the time by one of the shop staff so what could go wrong. Surprise, surprise, only one signature looking lost on the replica shirt, that of Manny Months. Explanation was that the paper must have been folded with only the bit mentioning Manny's name showing; only at Tranmere. Bought a frame to display the shirt now that ain't gonna happen. Double disappointment for my son; I did find it slightly amusing!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, had the potential to be a great present, even after the defeat. Went to collect the signed shirt today, our original request to have all the players sign, especially Manny as my son's favourite (no accounting for taste), was written down at the time by one of the shop staff so what could go wrong. Surprise, surprise, only one signature looking lost on the replica shirt, that of Manny Months. Explanation was that the paper must have been folded with only the bit mentioning Manny's name showing; only at Tranmere. Bought a frame to display the shirt now that ain't gonna happen. Double disappointment for my son; I did find it slightly amusing!
Not good. How do you explain to a child? I suppose the players have ll gone on holiday, so you would be lucky to get many more signatures. Why not wait till training starts and try to get a few more?

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
You have to remember that a lot of the staff were made redundant and also some have left since including a few of the club shop.
Feel for the lad. Watching that game and being disappointed with his present.
It feels like the club and mainly the players are out of control.
I have never heard or seen such disunity within the club.
I hope most of the squad is history before they get the chance to sign the shirt.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Surprise, surprise, only one signature looking lost on the replica shirt, that of Manny Months.
When my son was mascot a few years ago, I struggled to get him to even look up at us even after I told him he was my sons fav player! Probably the most miserable of all the players in that dressing room. Davies, Norwood and Caprice were very good though. Caprice burst out laughing so maybe that didn't go down to well :lol: :laugh:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
When my son was mascot a few years ago, I struggled to get him to even look up at us even after I told him he was my sons fav player! Probably the most miserable of all the players in that dressing room. Davies, Norwood and Caprice were very good though. Caprice burst out laughing so maybe that didn't go down to well :lol: :laugh:
That’s the way manny plays too. Like he’s away with the fairies half the time in another world

Player
Manager
John King
Brentford have been promoted to the EPL. A good story really, as they have not had massive investment and have raised funds largely by developing players and selling them on. However, I can't help but feel jealous after our near misses in the nineties.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Brentford have been promoted to the EPL. A good story really, as they have not had massive investment and have raised funds largely by developing players and selling them on. However, I can't help but feel jealous after our near misses in the nineties.
Good luck to them. They have been close for some years. A genuine Cinderella story. It was not that long ago that I was at Griffin Park to watch Rovers when Brentford were in dire financial straits. They had a bucket collection and I put my hand in my pocket. So I have played a small part in their eventual success. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Got a soft spot for Swansea as at Uni there, but Brentford deserved winners today. Do Brentford still have a decent academy set up?

Player
Manager
John King
Got a soft spot for Swansea as at Uni there, but Brentford deserved winners today. Do Brentford still have a decent academy set up?
No, their success is based on buying players from lower divisions, developing them and selling them on, the latest examples being Ollie Watkins and Ivan Toney.

I think Matthew Benham did invest quite heavily when they were in League One, but not a huge amount by modern standards.

Reactions: Boz