• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Shrimps (1) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Morecambe

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shrimps (1) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
The Mazuma Mobile Stadium
Tuesday, October 24, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 24, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Goodison
Adkins is part of the problem, nothing has changed except the way he dresses makes him look vaguely employable, and he speaks well to the press.

The actual important bit, the football, is exactly the same. Actually think we’d have the same points if Dawes was still here - which isn’t an argument to have kept him either!

Palios needs to emerge from the silence and provide some clarity. I think the squad is poor but the management are not deploying them to their full potential (whatever that is).

I fear they have their heads in the sand that getting Norris back will fix everything, it won’t, especially if he’s played in a 4-3-3. The defence is flaky and midfield must be the worst midfield of the past 30 years at least. We’re the worst side in the EFL and only heading one way.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Worrying, that the goals have dried up, and we can't keep a clean sheet.
Still look weak at the back!
Stockport will run riot if we play like that at Edgeley park.
Once again a poor team, has beaten us.
With Colchester winning, good job FGR and Sutton lost.
It's not looking good with thirty odd players, need to offload to get quality in!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Adkins is part of the problem, nothing has changed except the way he dresses makes him look vaguely employable, and he speaks well to the press.

The actual important bit, the football, is exactly the same. Actually think we’d have the same points if Dawes was still here - which isn’t an argument to have kept him either!

Palios needs to emerge from the silence and provide some clarity. I think the squad is poor but the management are not deploying them to their full potential (whatever that is).

I fear they have their heads in the sand that getting Norris back will fix everything, it won’t, especially if he’s played in a 4-3-3. The defence is flaky and midfield must be the worst midfield of the past 30 years at least. We’re the worst side in the EFL and only heading one way.
Yes I agree about Norris. We’re so desperate to have him back he won’t answer all our problems. We shouldn’t be so reliant on one player anyway

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Il
Yep LOC good call for MOM Sparky.
Chances late on, but Dennis off by then....would have buried one I'm sure.
Apter looked good again
I thought the same higgy when apter put that cross in and Jolley just watched it go by.
Im sure Dennis was knackered with all that ridiculous running he has to do but we needed a goal so why not keep him on and he may react to a cross because apter and hawkes were putting balls into the box.
It’s not a massive issue but if you’re losing a game you keep on a striker who scored 20 last season, even if he can’t move!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Overall, I thought it was an improvement on the Doncaster game and while Morecambe had the better chances, it wouldn't have been daylight robbery if we'd come away with a point. I still don't understand the Adkins love affair with 433 and the reluctance to try different formations.

Until the substitutions we'd barely had a chance, but Apter in particular made things happen and as well as the shot that tested the keeper, he put a few teasing balls into the box and the great cross which Jolley didn't go for; think Sam Taylor might have done better with that. Connor Jennings uncharacteristically fluffed a couple of chances late on.

I agree with Lee O'Connor as MoM. Also thought Apter and Pike had decent games when they came on and McGee was his usual steady self.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Well more promise for me, very unlucky. Lewis did a job and other fact finding Saunders couldn't finish his dinner and Dennis has done and several others. FFS Morris wide really? Wood five yards in front of his man and he doesn't even react? Walker is an insurance claim hobbling but does a bit, Hendry actually outworks Jenno. Back two are solid as a rock just so exposed.
Saturday is a spin to nothing, we have to have an outlet valve Apter on the left!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Overall, I thought it was an improvement on the Doncaster game and while Morecambe had the better chances, it wouldn't have been daylight robbery if we'd come away with a point. I still don't understand the Adkins love affair with 433 and the reluctance to try different formations.

Until the substitutions we'd barely had a chance, but Apter in particular made things happen and as well as the shot that tested the keeper, he put a few teasing balls into the box and the great cross which Jolley didn't go for; think Sam Taylor might have done better with that. Connor Jennings uncharacteristically fluffed a couple of chances late on.

I agree with Lee O'Connor as MoM. Also thought Apter and Pike had decent games when they came on and McGee was his usual steady self.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Sorry Boz must pick you up on McGee again he goes to ground easily and then makes a miracle save which would have been a mundane one. Watch him back. Mind you better than the 120k clown we sold lol

Player
Goodison
Rough maths suggests we have to double our points per game between now and the end of the season to stay up. The only thing that might reduce that is if forest green and Sutton also flounder.

I personally fear they will both kick on at some point and we’re going to end up adrift at the bottom.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

So where do we go from here? Time is ticking and we are no further forward.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, Ian. I think both interviewees said what they had to say. I’m sorry my prediction was wrong, but with more luck and better finishing, we certainly could have won. I feel it will come right soon.

We are not alone in being worried supporters. Seven of the bottom eight lost. Only Colchester won - and they beat Grimsby. I’d be very surprised if we have one of the two worst teams in the EFL. There are positive signs. I’m expecting nothing at Stockport. However, if we don’t beat FGR, I may think again.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was an improvement on all of the previous away performances, which is not saying much I know, and we were a lot better tactically. The pairing of Walker and Hendry gave good protection to the back four who were not unduly stretched, unlike the majority of recent matches. I thought Morris was having a decent game prior to his injury and I agree with Sparky that O'Connor was outstanding.

I actually agreed with Adkins' decision not to start Apter. Wood is a weak link defensively and was poor again tonight and we needed the protection Saunders gave on that side with his workrate and tracking back, which almost got us a point. Apter makes a good impact from the bench but I think he is a luxury away from home at the moment.

I thought it was a decent display and a step in the right direction, as we actually seemed interested in defending properly and stayed compact and resilient for the full ninety minutes and probably deserved a point against a team in decent form.

However, it is yet another defeat and the season has been such a shambles that you wonder whether it will be possible to get this group of players confident, organised and competitive in the timeframe required, notwithstanding tonight's display. The jury is still out on Adkins and if either Sutton or FGR find any kind of form, we are staring relegation in the face.

Last edited:
Player
Aldo
Swa were in fine voice tonight , really got behind the team. Very unlucky tonight, would say a draw would have been about right. Apter ( and Hawkes) did great when they came on - maybe should have had more game time tonight. Saunders did a lot of running but didn't really trouble the full back , but none of todays front 3 looked like scoring, Jennings looked a bit tired tonight. Wood had a torrid time against MOM Bloxham . On another day we wouldn't have conceded OG and Davies would have scored an easy header early on.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Lots of ifs and buts; the reality is, we need points on the board. It is a bit worrying that even though we played better, which we did, we didn’t really look like scoring and their keeper had little to do. Our main strikers don’t look as if they have too many goals in them, certainly not of their own making; I though the crosses were better last night and Apter’s to Jolley near the end summed up the fact that we’re missing an instinctive forward. The FGR game is starting to look a pivotal, must win game even this early in the season. Our away results have to change or the writing could be on the wall.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel very positive about the effort etc and so he should be. However it’s all about consistency and we need to show the same level of commitment on Saturday in what will be a much tougher game.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
The effort was definitely there Sparky, but the nature of the goal and our lack of goal threat must be soul-destroying for the players in a game they probably felt they should have got something from. It’s no wonder Adkins has to portray positivity to try to keep the players in a positive mindset. I can’t imagine confidence is too high in the camp at the moment, which would be understandable. I’m not even going to say we were unlucky as you create your own luck or at least it balances itself out over a season (Luck is just a concept anyway). It’s getting to the point where you feel we must beat or at least get something from all the games v Colchester (already lost away), FGR, Sutton and Grimsby (already drawn at home).

ADD

Player
Norwood
Agree with others that overall it was a better performance defensively at least. However that starting 11 was never going to score and we were reliant on keeping a clean sheet which we didn't manage. Slightly unlucky goal fair enough but also McGee made a very good save. Surprised walker was taken off. Didn't look like he was shot and had been doing well. he must be capable of 90 minutes at some point surely.
Pike seems better than Wood for sure who had a poor first half- suggestion from Adkins post match that he was not fit enough when he came on his 1 month contract but better now so maybe he will get that slot nailed down.
Apter needs to start IMO as looks so much better than the rest around him when he came on - creates chances on his own and got their defender a booking within a minute of coming on. Had he been there all game who knows. Dennis simply shouldn't be playing in that role - fine play him alongside Norris when he is back but until then bench at best and Saunders really offered so little it was unreal. Whatever has happened with Taylor not getting a look in since Adkins took over IMO needs to change. He should be starting also.