• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Shrimps (1) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Morecambe

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shrimps (1) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
The Mazuma Mobile Stadium
Tuesday, October 24, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 24, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some financial concerns when Morecambe were relegated that they might drop straight down again back into non-league and they didn't initially offer deals to any of their players out of contract in the summer. It seems things have stabilised since and they're currently comfortably in upper mid-table. While Bradford fans disliked him, Derek Adams appears to be a good fit with The Shrimps and shows the advantage of having an experienced manager when money is tight.

Micky's son Michael is on loan and scored at the weekend. Adam Mayor, who also scored was on our books as a youngster, while two figures with differing reputations from their time with Rovers; John McMahon who managed our relegation to L2 and Ged Brannan, left-back/midfielder are on their coaching staff.

The hosts have lined up in their recent games with a 4231 formation, with Micky's lad as the lone striker. Wonder if Nigel will make any adjustments to counteract that line up. Unless he's playing mind games, it sounds like Lewis will come into midfield in the hope of offering more protection to our beleaguered defence. McGee and Davies are back from suspension and would expect straight into the starting xi. Assuming he sticks with the favoured 433, decisions also have to be made about the back four and the front three. I felt Saunders played better on his left side and because of the defensive work he does there was less pressure on Wood in the second half. However, Hawkes seemed less involved when shifted to the right. While I think Apter will play some part, think he probably isn't physically strong enough to start.
At the back, there are options of trying Turnbull, Pike or Belehouan at left-back, if the manager feels that would improve things. The first two would be out of position, unsure whether Jean's preferred position is left-back or central defender? While I'm unsure about Wood at left-back, he's was up against difficult opponents the last two games in Shillow and Molyneux. Morecambe don't seem to play with an obvious winger, so he may get another chance.
Predicted xi, which is not the one I'd like to see;
McGee
O'Connor Davies Turnbull Wood
Morris Lewis Hendry
Jennings Jolley Saunders

Rovers need something from the next two games to avoid falling adrift at the bottom. No idea if we'll get it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We are way = lose

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’ve just voted for a Tranmere win. I’m not sure why, but it must come eventually and I think we some personnel changes and a slice of luck, we might get something.

There’s nothing wrong with the effort and the players are no less skilful than any squad in recent years. Nigel must know what he’s doing after so long in the game, even though none of us can see it!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Some financial concerns when Morecambe were relegated that they might drop straight down again back into non-league and they didn't initially offer deals to any of their players out of contract in the summer. It seems things have stabilised since and they're currently comfortably in upper mid-table. While Bradford fans disliked him, Derek Adams appears to be a good fit with The Shrimps and shows the advantage of having an experienced manager when money is tight.

Micky's son Michael is on loan and scored at the weekend. Adam Mayor, who also scored was on our books as a youngster, while two figures with differing reputations from their time with Rovers; John McMahon who managed our relegation to L2 and Ged Brannan, left-back/midfielder are on their coaching staff.

The hosts have lined up in their recent games with a 4231 formation, with Micky's lad as the lone striker. Wonder if Nigel will make any adjustments to counteract that line up. Unless he's playing mind games, it sounds like Lewis will come into midfield in the hope of offering more protection to our beleaguered defence. McGee and Davies are back from suspension and would expect straight into the starting xi. Assuming he sticks with the favoured 433, decisions also have to be made about the back four and the front three. I felt Saunders played better on his left side and because of the defensive work he does there was less pressure on Wood in the second half. However, Hawkes seemed less involved when shifted to the right. While I think Apter will play some part, think he probably isn't physically strong enough to start.
At the back, there are options of trying Turnbull, Pike or Belehouan at left-back, if the manager feels that would improve things. The first two would be out of position, unsure whether Jean's preferred position is left-back or central defender? While I'm unsure about Wood at left-back, he's was up against difficult opponents the last two games in Shillow and Molyneux. Morecambe don't seem to play with an obvious winger, so he may get another chance.
Predicted xi, which is not the one I'd like to see;
McGee
O'Connor Davies Turnbull Wood
Morris Lewis Hendry
Jennings Jolley Saunders

Rovers need something from the next two games to avoid falling adrift at the bottom. No idea if we'll get it.
Decent analysis.
Although can't see the formation being that at all.
Midfield five I think will be Hawkes, Jennings, Lewis, Hendry, Saunders with one of the two up front.
I would leave Hendry where he was, the facts never changed and the goals didn't come from there. Forget about Lewis and keep Morris.
I'd look to drag the wide players for Taylor and Apter, the latter might benefit from his outside left foot. Also I think Jolley's fizz is worth starting while Dennis might benefit from crosses into tired defenders.
We won't lose.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I’ve just voted for a Tranmere win. I’m not sure why, but it must come eventually and I think we some personnel changes and a slice of luck, we might get something.

There’s nothing wrong with the effort and the players are no less skilful than any squad in recent years. Nigel must know what he’s doing after so long in the game, even though none of us can see it!
On Nigel's upside he is the fifth manager to chose Lewis and persists in ignoring Taylor, both at complete loggerheads with most fans

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The system will be 4 3 3 we will change a few players and we will lose

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
With 6 defeats from 6 away league games most would see this as a banker home win but surely our poor run must end sometime. That may depend however whether Nigel persists with his 4-3-3 without a recognised central defensive midfielder, or makes some changes.
I’m expecting Lewis to start in that role as also wonder if he’ll go back to Davies and Turnbull as Yarney hasn’t overly impressed albeit JT was at fault for Donnys second goal.
Further forward I’m sure apter will start ahead of hawkes and perhaps Jolley for Dennis. Could also see Morris being dropped.

Either way I can’t see past a home win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Could also see Morris being dropped.
Yes, I agree. He seems to be Nigel's scapegoat, despite actually performing quite well under his management, or at least better than most.

I think Davies will return and Lewis will play in the holding midfield role, but I think Hawkes may actually start again with Apter on the bench.

An ugly, scrappy nil-nil would be a very good result, but I am not convinced we will get it with the likely tactics and starting line up. If we lose again, followed by a near-certain defeat at Stockport, there will be huge pressure on the games against Forest Green and Sutton which follow.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I'm not hopeful to be honest. I think we have forgotten how to win and do enough, maybe for a draw.
it was interesting reading about Reading 's away form. And of course Cheltenham first win of the season.
We are in a slump and it usually takes getting a lot of luck, just like we had at PP.
But I do believe Morecambe have a stronger squad and will be too good for us!
A couple of changes, for changes sake. But overall not good enough.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I see the chairman of Accrington Stanley intends to put them up for sale. Theres been a fall out with the management team, who have them on a roll atm despite a few crippling injuries.
We could do worse if Nigel is definitely only interim.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm going to start betting on Tranmere to lose away from home and then bet all the winnings on the next one etc etc. I'll be rolling in it at the end of the season so a positive I can take from this season.

Player
Goodison
If it’s going to be 4-3-3 I hope they see sense and get some steel in midfield. We don’t have much of that so I’d stick O’Connor and Lewis in alongside Hendry (push Jennings further forward with Apter and Taylor).

I’ve got a funny feeling we’re going to switch to 3/5 at the back, no idea why apart from thinking a flat 4-4-2 seems to be banned.

Im not hopeful at all, if we can’t start keeping clean sheets and getting to say 10/15 for the season we’re going down. We simply can’t go into every game needing to score 2 goals for a win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Michael Mellon will likely want to get one over on us given we sacked his Dad last season.

I just hope we set up differently as the system in away games so far has led to 6 defeats from 6 games. Surely we can’t just keep the 4-3-3 and hope something changes? Even with a few personnel changes

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
If it’s going to be 4-3-3 I hope they see sense and get some steel in midfield. We don’t have much of that so I’d stick O’Connor and Lewis in alongside Hendry (push Jennings further forward with Apter and Taylor).

I’ve got a funny feeling we’re going to switch to 3/5 at the back, no idea why apart from thinking a flat 4-4-2 seems to be banned.

Im not hopeful at all, if we can’t start keeping clean sheets and getting to say 10/15 for the season we’re going down. We simply can’t go into every game needing to score 2 goals for a win.
The 3/5 at the back sounds like a plan. Hives us a chance to have three CMs in the middle. As you say get LOC and Lewis in there. Kind of protection the defence needs.

Player
Aldo
Having 3 fit CBs gives Rovers the option to go 352 . Woods IMO is not much more than a squad player, any opposition manager worth their salt would target him. It leaves the left sided midfielder (egJosh) with the task of constantly tracking back. Pike, doesn't even seem like a full back to me, and LOC giving his tackling ability really should be in our midfield given our current roster. I have my doubts about Lewis as a CDM , given the amount of action that he will see I fear that it wont be long before he sees red. I am not sure that Nigel will do anything more than shuffle the pack. We really need 2 decent full backs, we are really weak in that area. Will be at the game so hoping that we get a win, stranger things have happenned.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Defence will be tested. Morecambe have scored 3 in each of their last 3 games.....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Having 3 fit CBs gives Rovers the option to go 352 . Woods IMO is not much more than a squad player, any opposition manager worth their salt would target him. It leaves the left sided midfielder (egJosh) with the task of constantly tracking back. Pike, doesn't even seem like a full back to me, and LOC giving his tackling ability really should be in our midfield given our current roster. I have my doubts about Lewis as a CDM , given the amount of action that he will see I fear that it wont be long before he sees red. I am not sure that Nigel will do anything more than shuffle the pack. We really need 2 decent full backs, we are really weak in that area. Will be at the game so hoping that we get a win, stranger things have happenned.
I don’t find anything wrong with Hawkes being expected to track back and help out the full-back. Saunders Morris Jennings etc all do it and we need to defend from the front. Lee O’Connor is a perfectly capable right-back at this level, thought would be better deployed in central midfield where our needs are greater. Who would you pick for the wing-back positions?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think the full backs are good enough this season to play three at the back. I don't see the need to complicate things and 442 can be solid defensively.

Reactions: Ian

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I don’t find anything wrong with Hawkes being expected to track back and help out the full-back. Saunders Morris Jennings etc all do it and we need to defend from the front. Lee O’Connor is a perfectly capable right-back at this level, thought would be better deployed in central midfield where our needs are greater. Who would you pick for the wing-back positions?
Agreed. The problem with back fives or front twos is the potential for teething problems especially the former. The latter only works if Norris is fit so if goes again you need to change. Meanwhile

Goalkeeper Luke McGee and captain Tom Davies return to the side after serving their suspensions picked up at Crewe.

Jake Leake and Luke Norris continue to recover from their injuries, after joining the non-selected group in full training on Friday.