• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Shrimps (1) v Rovers (0)

Match result

• Morecambe

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shrimps (1) v Rovers (0)
Posted by Ian
The Mazuma Mobile Stadium
Tuesday, October 24, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, October 24, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Josh does track back at times buts let be honest he doesn’t want to and being a young lad is probably more likely to switch off as he did on Friday, compared with say Morris, CJ or Saunders.

I’d be tempted to give Hawkes a rest and give Apter a start as he impressed in his cameo v Donny. If we don’t give these young loanees game time, especially when we’re struggling then clubs may think twice about letting us have them

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hawkes is lazy which is why some days he turns up, other days he doesn't.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure I agree Hawkes is lazy. The defensive side of his game is not his forte, but even in matches when he performs poorly he does try to make things happen in the attacking areas.

I think he is simply underperforming at the moment, as are most of the squad. Low confidence is seriously affecting other players like Turnbull and Davies.

Last edited:
Player
Aldo
I don’t find anything wrong with Hawkes being expected to track back and help out the full-back. Saunders Morris Jennings etc all do it and we need to defend from the front. Lee O’Connor is a perfectly capable right-back at this level, thought would be better deployed in central midfield where our needs are greater. Who would you pick for the wing-back positions?
It would have to be Morris and Hawkes in the 5. Players like Hawkes will be thinking of their futures , and for him that will mean wanting to score goals. LOC is a good right back, but right now he is needed in CM.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I don't think the full backs are good enough this season to play three at the back. I don't see the need to complicate things and 442 can be solid defensively.
I'd love to be able to play 442, but I can see our midfield being overun with only LOC plus one in CM alongside our traditional wide midfielders. Out of the four there is little in terms of decent defensive attributes. Unless the plus one was Lewis, and possible Saunders as one of the wide men. We know Hawkes, for sure, can't be relied upon in that regard.
I'd prefer 3/5 at the back. Using regular full backs as wing backs. I can see Pike doing a good job. He showed against Accrington he can make intelligent runs going forward, and did well against their talented LB. Then we could have LOC, Hendry and Lewis in the middle.
The 3 CBs could pick themselves, or you could play one of our full backs - say Starbuck in there for added mobility.
Dennis and Jolley up front.

Plenty of energy and grit and I'm sure Dennis would still get chances in the absence of our more forward thinking wide men. Bring them and Taylor on second half when hopefully we're still in the game and have shown some battling qualities.
ps
If one of the full backs were in a back three, I'd rate Saunders as a decent deputy in terms of tracking back in a wi g back role.

Save Hawkes, Apter, Morris and Taylor for second half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Higgy 2, no place for our best player in your starting xi? While think he’s doing well in his current role, in that formation I’d have Connor Jennings ahead of both Dennis and Jolley up front.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Higgy 2, no place for our best player in your starting xi? While think he’s doing well in his current role, in that formation I’d have Connor Jennings ahead of both Dennis and Jolley up front.
An oversight Boz.
Not in place of Dennis though, who in turn might turn out to be gold if played to his strengths.
So in for Jolley, Hendry or Lewis as he could do a couple of roles in midfield. But you get the idea.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'd love to be able to play 442, but I can see our midfield being overun with only LOC plus one in CM alongside our traditional wide midfielders.
We played that way under Mellon for most of last season with the same midfield personnel, and had a solid defensive record which kept us out of trouble.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
We played that way under Mellon for most of last season with the same midfield personnel, and had a solid defensive record which kept us out of trouble.
Granted and I'd be happy to play like that again, as would many on here. My reservation is that the actual defence doesn't seem as strong this term, and I'm not sure the wide men are as diligent at defending this season. Which might be down to poor management, or player attitude.
Let's hope he tries so.ething that gets us two up Top, and if it's 442 and it works - gappy days.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Wow i had forgotten about this game says everything really about how i am feeling about the state of the club. Let's face it it's going to be another loss until the change the formation and mindset of the players and club

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Granted and I'd be happy to play like that again, as would many on here. My reservation is that the actual defence doesn't seem as strong this term, and I'm not sure the wide men are as diligent at defending this season. Which might be down to poor management, or player attitude.
Let's hope he tries so.ething that gets us two up Top, and if it's 442 and it works - gappy days.
What is frustrating is that I like many of the SWA thought our defensive spine this season with McGee, Davies and Turnbull would be good. The latter was in team of the year at Salford and did well last season overall. Davies was good too and as RLC says it was our poor goal scoring record that caused us problems. Our defence was decent.

Turnbull was rumoured to want to leave at one point and you wonder if he still does. Perhaps with Davies he’s suffering under the pressure of being captain. Who knows really, but it needs sorting out as they are still our best two centre halves.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Davies back in as is Walker. Hawkes dropped but no Apter in his place. Looks like 4-3-3 again possibly with CJ leading the line and Dennis and Saunders wide?
At least that’s what I’m guessing

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mcgee Davies and Walker start, I think Jennings be wide in a front 3.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Or perhaps a 4–3-1-2 with Jennings behind Dennis and Saunders

ADD

Player
Norwood
Taylor not even on bench. Weird if not injured. Not sure what Apter needs to do to get a start.
Not feeling confident...

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
If its 433 I think Dennis down twiddle with Saunders and Morris wide.
Jenno in midfield with Walker and Hendry.

Player
Goodison
4-3-3 again, sigh. (Unless Jennings and Morris are wide in a 4-4-2 but that would be too sensible).

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The irony with Sam Taylor is that in Adkins first game I think he scored one and set up Jolley.

You wonder whether in our predicament Nigel doesn’t want to play youngsters like Taylor, Apter etc