• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Saddlers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few clubs have already gone this way. I’m not in favour and the poor communication has been symptomatic. The Trust and Supporters Club seem to have been concentrating on fan park fund raising and taken their eye off the ball over other things going on.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apparently, no cash turnstiles. Ticket or season ticket card!

Doesn't the club want this extra money, cos the shop willl be even worse.
Don't make things easy!
I think this is down to the local SAG (safety advisory group) but also the club don't want it either

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In the short term it is being done for track and trace, which seems reasonable. In the long term I think the club don't want to handle loads of cash, which you can understand as it is rife for theft etc.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can understand the health and safety implications. However the shop is too small to cater with significant numbers of on the day sales, so think they will need to look at going back to a separate ticket office. Particularly when they finally get the new shirts to sell...

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think this has already been answered so apologies in advance, but why can't people just buy a ticket online and then present it at the turnstile. This system worked quite well in previous seasons. Queuing and buying tickets in the shop is so 90's.. or have I missed something?!

Player
Manager
John King
I think this has already been answered so apologies in advance, but why can't people just buy a ticket online and then present it at the turnstile. This system worked quite well in previous seasons. Queuing and buying tickets in the shop is so 90's.. or have I missed something?!
I think they can, but would need to register on the system first, which is a bit cumbersome.

Player
aldo
I like going to the club shop Normally the day b4 to get my ticket then have a sit and Think of the great JK at the statue thats my normal routine

Player
Manager
John King
Davies and Clarke start at the back, KP must be isolating or injured and not in squad. Otherwise as expected. Maguire and Morris on the bench.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No central defender on the bench, with NKPs absence, highlights we’re a bit thin in that area. Otherwise as expected. Walsall have all 3 ex Rovers starting along with Osadebe who got the winning volley at their place last season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers started brightly but Walsall getting back into it, although not really tested Murphy yet. The referee a bit random with decision making and hope the Macmanaman booking doesn’t come back to bite us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Slightly odd substitution, Glatzel who’s been one of our better players today, replaced by Morris.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great to be back at PP with a cracking atmosphere and the roof lifting off when the goal went in.

We started really well with high tempo but didn’t really test their keeper. They grew into the game and looked dangerous with some pace out wide. Second half they had a decent spell but we then had our own culminating in mcmanaman finishing well after a good move down the left with merrie the provider. This was after mcmanaman missed the best chance of the game a bit earlier firing straight at their keeper. The sending off looked a bit harsh but I was far away. We held out despite 7 minutes added time.

Defensively we looked good with Clarke and Davies looking solid and cogley good going forward. Midfield worked hard and a felt a bit sorry for glatzel playing out wide again. Really not sure about Mani. Lost most headers to Ash Taylor and headed a great chance straight at their keeper, but we know we need more bodies in as apart from Morris the bench didn’t look great today.

onwards and upwards!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ll write in more depth when I get home. It was a hard fought win today and great to be back in the ground with a decent crowd.

Walsall had the more attempts on goal but can’t recall Murphy having a save to make. There were a few Rovers bodies thrown in the way to make blocks though. The goal followed some good build-up play and a clinical finish from Macmanaman.

I said at h/t the ref was a bit random with his decision-making. Those in the Johnny King will be best placed to comment on the Merrie sending off but from the opposite side of the pitch in the Paddock it looked harsh. Thankfully we clung on for the win despite a generous 7 minutes being added.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was expecting at least 7 minutes added time after the sending off plus the linesman going off injured which resulted in Mike dean being 4th official

Player
Manager
John King
A deserved victory for Rovers after an up and down first half.

I thought we started really brightly in the first ten or fifteen minutes, but then seemed to gradually lose our way in midfield. We seemed to sit a bit too deep, losing too many second balls and not putting Monthe and Taylor under enough pressure in possession, and Walsall grew into the game. They looked a decent side and had a bit of pace out wide which caused us problems.

However, Mellon clearly had a bit to say at half time and in the second half we were far more compact, created the better chances and played some great stuff in the final twenty minutes. As Sparky says, for all their possession Walsall did not have a genuine attempt on target and Clarke and Davies looked very solid.

Elsewhere, I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Liam Feeney as man of the match, but Paul Glatzel pushed him close. His touch and technique were excellent today and I am sure he will be a good player for us, particularly if we can get him into central areas more often. I thought Mani did fine. I don't think winning headers is really his strength, but his touch and awareness of runners around him was very good. MacManaman drifted in and out of the game, but whenever he got the ball on the edge of the box you thought something was going to happen, and he had the two best chances of the game. There was great work from Morris and Merrie in the build up to the goal, which was a lovely move, and Kieron made a difference when he came on.

The red card for Merrie looked incredibly harsh to me: a full blooded challenge and a probable yellow, but not a red.

As expected, Walsall looked a reasonable outfit and definitely pushed us, but we had the quality and experience when it mattered. Onwards and upwards.