• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Saddlers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well it was certainly good to be back. I thought both teams played well but both lacked a real goal threat. Walsall were pacey but pretty toothless and although the first half wasn't that eventful I thought we came out much better in the second half and with much more purpose. Defensively we looked solid and started to make a difference in midfield with some good passing and movement. The goal was really well worked and an excellent finish from McManaman. Feeney was back to his best with a great all round performance and a Micky fist pump to top it off.

The squad looks very promising and with a few more quality additions, we could have a decent season.

Player
ian goodison
just great to be back didn,t know what to expect with so many new faces, thought davies MOM for me thought mani showed some nice touches at times and thought he played quite well, thought feeney 1st half slowed things down whereas 2nd half he really came into the game, as for the sending off it was right in front of me and seemed a good tackle the official who made the call ref/lino needs a 3 game ban never mind the player

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A tight game, which Rovers just deserved to win Both sides had changed personnel significantly from last season, so getting used to new team-mates and carrying things forward from pre-season to a competitive game. We're a work in progress where not all the pieces are in place yet.

Defensively, I felt Murphy and the central defensive pairing did well. As has been highlighted, the area we were tested more was on the wings. For the most part, Merrie handled it well and Glatzel was willing to come back and give him an out ball, whereas Cogley on our right was more isolated particularly in the first half and at times left to contend with the winger by himself.

In midfield, I felt Glatzel did well, he looked comfortable on the ball and linked with team-mates. Mcmanaman on the other side drifted in and out of the game, but made some telling contributions, firstly with the shot at the keeper when perhaps he should have passed to a better-placed team-mate and subsequently the clinical finish for what proved to be the winning goal. Spearing was his usual self, breaking up play, one or two quality cross-field balls. Watson did some decent defensive work, but didn't get much chance to show the attacking side of his game.

Up front, Dieseruvwe was feeding on scraps but didn't seem to be as influential as in pre-season and the only real chance he had from Feeney's corner was headed straight at the keeper. Feeney had a reasonable game, though it puzzles me why Glatzel as a striker isn't deployed in the more forward role. However, the quality of his set=pieces was mixed at best and my view is that our threat from set pieces would be enhanced by using different players to take them rather than giving them all to Liam.

MoM Harsh red card notwithstanding for me was Chris Merrie, who looked comfortable out of position and set up the winning goal. Had he been on the pitch longer, Glatzel would have been a contender.

drwhoman

I have just seen the highlights and I can only say that the sending off was ridiculous. Not a good tackle and probably a yellow but a red? Some refs like to be the centre of attention unfortunately!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
The footage confirms what I witnessed and thought first hand. The sending off highlights the weakness of referees and how easily they’re influenced by player reactions. Yet again, another ridiculous decision from an official. Sadly, I doubt any appeal will be assessed objectively and preservation of the original decision and protection of the referee will be the prime motivator. If that’s the standard for a red card, we’d see half a dozen per game. I’d be embarrassed if the shoe was on the other foot and any of us would have called for or viewed it as a tackle worthy of a red card and I’d be vehemently challenging anyone who thought different. Thankfully, it didn’t affect the result.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Enjoyed that. Great to get our first opening day win in 5 years against what I thought was a decent Walsall side.
Walsall probably felt a little hard done by in respect of how many corners and attacking free kicks they had but then Murphy didn't really have anything to do did he? Did anyone who was there see was Glatzel injured or looked to be tiring as I was surprised he came off otherwise? Mani seems to have impressed many fans pre- season/ yesterday but I didn't think he was that good with a poor first touch and surely he will drop to the bench if anyone else half decent does come in. Until he comes in I would prefer Glatzel to be playing as a genuine No. 9 but MM clearly doesn't fancy that at least for now. Think Glatzel will only grow and grow into it and assuming he stays fit will be excellent for us this season - seems a confident lad also as he was telling Mani where he should have moved to when we had 3 against 1 when Mcmanaman shot. McManaman will definitely come on leaps and bounds and will score enough also hopefully.
Only gripes thought Cogley was poor first half but hopefully just taking him a bit of time to get back into it as he was sharper second half for sure. Also does Feeney really have to take every corner/ attacking free kick? They really aren't that great.
Finally watched it back at 1/4 speed today and never a Red card in a month of Sundays - if we don't appeal I will be amazed.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Cogley seemed to struggle with his positioning in the first half and was caught on the wrong side of the winger on a few occasions. It was surprising, considering how solid he looked in pre-season, although he was not given much protection by MacManaman.

In the second half he was back to his pre-season self, defensively and going forward.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Cogley seemed to struggle with his positioning in the first half and was caught on the wrong side of the winger on a few occasions. It was surprising, considering how solid he looked in pre-season, although he was not given much protection by MacManaman.

In the second half he was back to his pre-season self, defensively and going forward.
I thought they targeted Cogley quite a bit with diagonal balls and due to a lack of cover from mcmanaman he was often exposed 2 on 1.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I really enjoyed the match on Saturday; possibly not the greatest game but we were decent and it was a great result. More than that it was the whole weekend experience that, amazingly, almost felt seamless from February/March 2020. The travel down, the match, curries and catch ups, stop over with family, the journey back - everything felt back where it should be. Even the match experience itself; a bit of banter with the same fella on the same turnstile, sat with the same people, even the MM fist pump, it felt like a fortnight had passed rather than 18 months. The only things that felt wrong were that it was a League 2 game, their big centre half had put on the wrong shirt and my Dad wasn't confident enough yet to take his place listening to my ongoing stream of consciousness! I hope it won't be too long. I thought that the Mike Dean cameo was amusing; clearly the Walsall manager needed some persuading for him to step in as 4th official. I was hoping to God he wouldn't celebrate when we scored (he didn't - not obviously, at least) and I bet at least 1 of the 7 added on minutes was to avoid any claim of bias!

To me that actually feels like 4 wins in a row with a pre-season between the 3rd and 4th. Live football and the poor imitation we have had feel like entirely different sports in different universes.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
McNanaman made Sky team of the week.
Other TRFC connections in there were Shamal George, George Ray and Dave Challinor as manager.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I just don't know how you can interpret that challenge as a red card. Merrie's studs were not showing and the only contact he made with the Walsall player was with his thigh.