• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Saddlers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thought I’d start this nice and early given it is the first game of the season and the excitement is starting to build.

Our first game of the 21/22 season sees Walsall visit PP with 3 rovers old boys added to their squad over the summer in Labadie, Ash Taylor and Monthe. I would hope Manny would get a good reception given his success with us but I’m less sure about the other two. Ash left PP a long time ago and Labadie likes to wind opponents up and spend a fair bit of time rolling around on the floor. Whilst on paper they have made some decent signings, Walsall finished 19th in league two last season so despite their additions this is arguably a winnable game.

Much may depend on whether rovers are able to bring in another striker this week as we havent exactly looked potent in that area during pre season. My guess is Micky will likely go with his 4-2-3-1 with something like:

Murphy

Cogley Clarke KP Merrie

Spearing Watson

McManaman Morris Glatzel

Mani

That is assuming we don’t have a recognised LB fit yet. Feeney could also start on the left as Glatzel despite showing neat touches hasn’t impressed albet he is being played out of position.

Prediction: a narrow rovers win which will do nicely.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think Davies will start ahead of Clarke and agree it will be a narrow win 1 0.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I expect you are right about the team and formation, as things stand with our squad. However, Morris may not be risked even if he is fit. In that case, I would expect Sam Foley to make his debut, unless Glatzel plays at number 10 to accommodate Feeney.

I had expected an announcement of some sort today (Mark Duffy, at least), but nothing on the OS. I am sure they are as frustrated as we are. Let's hope we get at least two more players in by Saturday.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it is more likely that Feeney or Duffy will start in the number ten role if Morris is not fit, as that is where they have played in pre-season and looked very good. Foley will be on the bench.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think it is more likely that Feeney or Duffy will start in the number ten role if Morris is not fit, as that is where they have played in pre-season and looked very good. Foley will be on the bench.
Ah yes i forgot about Duffy. Agree as a number 10 he could be a good option

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with most of Sparky's opening post.

Walsall have made some high profile signings, but I still think our side is better. We have looked sharp in pre-season, and also quite creative considering the strength of the opposition. We all know the absence of a goalscorer is an issue, but I still expect us to win the game narrowly.

In terms of the opposition, a centre back pairing of Monthe and Taylor looks like an accident waiting to happen to me. However, Joss Labadie will be his usual disruptive self in midfield, and I think Connor Wilkinson is a really good player, a striker I would have liked us to sign.

I think we will start in the 4231 formation suggested above, with Feeney in the hole if Morris is not available. I think Clarke and NKP will be the centre back pairing, as Davies has not looked quite as good in pre-season as those two in my view. Maguire might start at left back if his period of isolation has ended.

It will just be great to be back in Prenton Park for a proper match without restrictions. I think the gate will be 6,500 - 7,000, with 1,000 from Walsall.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Going to be big turnout from Walsall as already sold 900 tickets

Player
Manager
John King
Going to be big turnout from Walsall as already sold 900 tickets
1,200 sold now and they have requested more tickets.

I think we will have a big following at Vale too: all supporters club coaches already sold out.

drwhoman

I hope all you guys have had your two doses. Delta is really bad from what I read. You would not want to get it without the vaccine. Anyway, the best of luck from Australia where the government's handling of the vaccine roll out has been very poor even if we have had relatively few cases as compared with UK or many other countries. It will be great to be back in the ground with other fans!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Walsall were one of the best sides to come to PP last season, beat us comfortably and yet were down near the bottom for most of the season. They've got a new first team coach in Matthew Taylor, who hasn't a great deal of experience and while Wilkinson is a decent player, Wiki suggests they've only got one other striker, a youngster on loan from Huddersfield on their books. Most of last season's team have moved on. They seem to be regarded favourably by the pundits, but it's always hard to know how a rookie manager will fare, hopefully Rovers will give him a rough a start as possible.

If the team selection were down to me. I'd like to see more players in their 'natural' positions, so Merrie in centre midfield, Watson in a more advanced position and Glatzel as a forward. It may be injury dictates that isn't possible in all cases.

Prediction: Score draw.

Player
aldo
I would have Watson just behind the front two we need Glaltzel and mani close together like a Muir and Steel partnership, as normal I am going positive 3-1 goals spread about

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think a low scoring game and I have a terrible feeling Walsall might nick it 0-1, despite some good possession for us.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Besides the 2 ex rovers centre halves who else plays for them anybody of note

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
wow guys let's be positive
It'll probably be a 7 goal thriller A.M. - who knows?☺️
If we're having a go at predicting - that's my hunch and desperately hope I'm wrong. Were not prolific on the goal front yet, and even though we'll probably play well.....even a bad side can nick a goal. I never moan at the ground and whatever I write won't effect the result A.M.

Player
Manager
John King
It'll probably be a 7 goal thriller A.M. - who knows?☺️
If we're having a go at predicting - that's my hunch and desperately hope I'm wrong. Were not prolific on the goal front yet, and even though we'll probably play well.....even a bad side can nick a goal. I never moan at the ground and whatever I write won't effect the result A.M.
We have been very solid defensively in pre-season against good sides, so I don't necessarily see it going that way.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Absolutely. I think we are solid and that's why I am guessing Walsall may just nick the one......hopefully none. 7 goal thriller was tongue in cheek reference to my prediction abilities.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Absolutely. I think we are solid and that's why I am guessing Walsall may just nick the one......hopefully none. 7 goal thriller was tongue in cheek reference to my prediction abilities.
Not wishing to be negative I could easily see Walsall nicking one (a monthe he from a corner no doubt!!), and us huffing and puffing but not testing their keeper. Hopefully I’m wrong but wouldn’t surprise me.

walsall have now sold 1,048 tickets and have been given another 900

just collected my season ticket. Excitement is building!!

Player
Manager
John King
We actually scored in all but one of the pre season games. We obviously need a striker, but we still look like we have got a goal in us. If we do go ahead, we look solid enough to see the game out.