• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Rovers v Newcastle

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Newcastle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They have dominated possession without creating too many chances, Hemmings needs to cut out the silly fouls and was lucky need to see red. Some decent performances so far need try to keep the effort up as long as we can

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Wood scores from another corner, Turnbull lost his man too easily, very disappointing to concede twice to corners.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Goal came from a Trippier corner. Krafth's injury led to Trippier's arrival and that has changed the game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Hawkes on for Nolan. Good switch, more attacking. Hawkes will be up for it - he's ex-Sunderland and Hartlepool!!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Jameson off Injured looks like a muscle injury

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Decent effort without really causing them too many problems, our defending on corners was poor. Mom for me was O'Connor who was very good was also impressed with Hewelt

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
No complaints about the result, but didn't we play well? We never gave up. All of them heroes. I just hope they can take heart from that performance and kick on. No hangover on Saturday, please!

MoM is difficult. Nevitt took his goal well, but Hewelt didn't put a foot (or a hand) wrong. One great save late on.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Encouraging performance from Rovers. As well as the pair BBTC names thought the wing-backs did well. Hope that there will be some more funds to strengthen the squad though as looking fairly threadbare

ADD

Player
Norwood
Very pleased with the performance all things considered aside from the defending at the set plays.
Hewelt was excellent I thought. Would play him rather than Doohan going forward. Much better distribution.
Hawkes did well when he came on. Thought Merrie would have been perfect for this game but clearly he was never going to get the nod. Nolan wasn't great I felt in any event.
Trippier set piece delivery awesome have to say.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Great effort, really good goal from Nevitt and assist from Cogley...but poor poor defending for their goals...and Hemmings left to try to win headers in our defence and it just doesnt work. Trippier's coming on gave them the edge and we paid the price...just hope we can carry something positive into Saturdays game but we must defend better from set pieces if we are to win matches, simple as.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We desperately need players in and quickly as the squad is threadbare

Reactions: Boz

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Good hope he's out for ages he is shit now being more positive we need to play more like it in the first half in all games rough and ready and be bullies we have lacked that over the last season or so more the merrier

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good hope he's out for ages he is shit now being more positive we need to play more like it in the first half in all games rough and ready and be bullies we have lacked that over the last season or so more the merrier
AM, if you mean Jameson, he played well tonight. I'd never want any Rovers player to be injured, especially when we are so short of centre-backs.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
not arsed abt Jemison or whatever his name is he is shit and we don't need shit in the team as for Nevitt if he can,t get confidence from scoring tonight then he never will fair play to him he has scored more than Kane

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
The lads did themselves justice there. Tbh I didn't have a problem with Hemmings getting stuck in. Couple of times I thought the free kicks given were harsh. Granted the foul on the keeper looked bad. Equally he had to go for it.
Some good performances and I though O'Connor was immense.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Actually enjoyed that game. Yes, the difference in quality was easy to see but the lads never gave up, they gave it their all and that is all you can ask. We scored a great first goal and that was worth the admission fee, such a great feeling with a good crowd. They started to control the game in the 2nd half with some slick passing and movement as you would expect but really proud of the lads tonight, I don't think we should be too critical against a team leagues above us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A frustrating night as in open play we did very well but switched off at two key moments to concede from set pieces. If their full back hadn’t got injured then trippier probably wouldn’t have come on as he’d have been rested for the weekend. Never mind.

Thought after they went 2-1 up we sat off them for 20 mins and couldn’t get the ball. We stepped it up for the last 15 and got in their faces and with a bit of luck could have got an equaliser but it wasn’t to be.

The priority is Saturday now but the players put so much effort in tonight we could have a few knocks for Colchester. The front two did so much running and our lack of back up could be a problem.

Well done lads tonight - couldn’t have given any more

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the highlights. Although I thought the ref was poor overall Hemmings could have easily been sent off