• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Rovers v Newcastle

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Newcastle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
10,031 tickets sold so far, should be near 11k
That is a decent gate for an out-of-form home side playing a televised match against one of the less glamorous EPL sides. It shows our fans aren't as fickle as some make out. It should be a great atmosphere.

If we can just get a good start to get the fans roaring us on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It shows to me they only come out when its a glamour tie. It would be nice for some of them to turn up throughout the season.
Having said that, I know plenty of fans across the water are also attending. They obviously want to see some decent football this season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Most of the games tonight between League One / Two sides and EPL / Championship teams are tight affairs. Hopefully our match tomorrow night will follow suit (unless we win 4-0).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, cracking result for Crawley too.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Hope springs eternal. The tone’s been set with no real thumpings; let’s hope we don’t buck the trend.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
See Newport beat Pompey tonight, so perhaps our demise in S Wales can be viewed in that context.

Still fear a hammering tomorrow though

Player
Manager
John King
See Newport beat Pompey tonight, so perhaps our demise in S Wales can be viewed in that context.

Still fear a hammering tomorrow though
No real hammerings tonight, although Bolton and Grimsby lost by three goals, the former against a very strong Villa side.

Who knows what will happen, but there is no Kane, Son or Lucas Moura in the Newcastle squad. They are much improved, but they are not at the same level as the Spurs and United sides that thrashed us.

Last edited:

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Sadly I fear that the gulf in class will be far too much for rovers. Newcastle may not be a Spurs or a Man United, but they will be so comfortable against a team that will no doubt set up to defend. There is no way MM will try and take the game to Newcastle, and I really dont think it will be pleasant to watch.

Really hope that I am wrong, but the fact that we have really struggled to compete against some of the dross we have played so far makes me fairly worried!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Fear a tonking, but it would be great if our strikers could sneak a goal against a Prem side. Would be a real confidence boost.
I think Micky will put his best team out for this tie - which may not include Nevitt for this one.
Possibly play both O'Connor and Merrie sitting deep with McAleer and Lewis behind, but close to Hemmings.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think I’d prefer us to play 4 at the back, no strong views further forward. It will be interesting to see who gets the nod in goal .

drwhoman

It depends what team Newcastle put out. If it is mostly squad or young players then we may go ok but if they bring out the 'heavy' brigade.... They are going to have a good season under Howe. The way Liverpool are playing they will fancy their chances at Anfield when they go there soon.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I don,t think its negativity to the game but more so our team of players , but let us get down to it first half we will be 2-0 down then Super Kane and the Busy Nevitt will score 3 in the last 10 mins

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Think I’d prefer us to play 4 at the back, no strong views further forward. It will be interesting to see who gets the nod in goal .
5 at the back for me. I think our best opportunity for any attacking threat is via Cogley and Bristow - struggling to think how else we would have any chance of hurting them. Probably guaranteed that MM will switch to a 4 then...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
5 at the back for me. I think our best opportunity for any attacking threat is via Cogley and Bristow - struggling to think how else we would have any chance of hurting them. Probably guaranteed that MM will switch to a 4 then...
You were at the Accrington game and it sounded like Bristow and Cogley were much more involved as an attacking threat when we switched to a back four there? If Davies/Robinson were available I’d be more confident with 5 at the back.

Player
Manager
John King
I would stick with five at the back. The players are familiar with that system and it gives us a spare man in midfield, which I think we need against higher level opposition. I also don't think Jameson looks comfortable in a back four.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
You were at the Accrington game and it sounded like Bristow and Cogley were much more involved as an attacking threat when we switched to a back four there? If Davies/Robinson were available I’d be more confident with 5 at the back.
While that's generally true I don't think that it's entirely the full story, @Boz . In the context of the game I think our attacking intent changed (as it had to at 0-2) and Accy weren't able to change gear. This was particularly so after our first goal. Illogical as it sounds, McAlear may not have been in the position to deliver the killer pass if he hadn't been in the position Cogley would (should) have been in if we still had the 5 there. In a game starting at 0-0 against EPL opposition there will be a different mindset than against Accrington where we were 0-2 down and had to be more gung-ho or we were out. I guess that all this shows is that the players understanding their roles, adapting to the context of the game and having a positive mindset are fundamental irrespective of the formation.

Reactions: Boz