• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Rovers v Newcastle

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Newcastle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hopefully that's just Micky playing things down as it sounds like budget is all gone
Finally got around to listening to this. It was a good interview but didn’t sound to me like we definitely won’t be bringing more players in ~ is more equivocal depends on the budget

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Finally got around to listening to this. It was a good interview but didn’t sound to me like we definitely won’t be bringing more players in ~ is more equivocal depends on the budget
I think his insistence that this is a development squad and there will inevitably be inconsistencies in performance was significant.

Just reflecting on last night's game and I was really impressed by our athleticism. The amount of ground covered by our players was remarkable and the effort was sustained for ninety six minutes. It would have been easy for us to capitulate in the period after their second goal when they were dominating the ball, but we hung in physically and mentally and restricted them to relatively few chances. We then had the energy to get right back on the front foot in the final twenty minutes. I was exhausted just watching.

Whatever other shortcomings this squad has, there is plenty of youth, dynamism and energy. The Rovers team of McNulty, Buxton and co. could not have put in last night's performance.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I don’t see Merrie as a direct alternative to O’Connor, he’s a more attacking player and given the opportunity could have done a decent job alongside O’Connor last night.
They are both essentially defensive midfielders, although very different players, so it is unlikely they would be picked together.

I thought Nolan and McAlear were both fine last night. The latter showed some very nice touches.

drwhoman

They are both essentially defensive midfielders, although very different players, so it is unlikely they would be picked together.

I thought Nolan and McAlear were both fine last night. The latter showed some very nice touches.
McAlear has the potential to play at a higher level.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Just want to echo all the positive comments about last night. Strange feeling satisfied after a defeat. Got home and the Mrs thought we’d won such was my good mood. We’ve clearly got plenty of potential and need to show up consistently in the league. The only downside is the bitterness from many Newcastle fans who clearly live in some sort of deluded bubble.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Interesting. I'd have classed Merrie as more of an attacking midfielder. However it wouldn't be the first time we'd played two defensive midfielders together.

I think McAlear is a decent prospect. Corner taking remains a weak point though.

Player
Manager
John King
The only downside is the bitterness from many Newcastle fans who clearly live in some sort of deluded bubble.
Some of the comments on social media were unbelievable. Very different to our attitude to non league teams we have met in cup competitions, for example.

Interestingly, we have reached the latter stages of the League Cup more often than Newcastle: appearances in a final and a semi final, compared to their single final defeat. Plus, we beat them three times in a single season (1991-92), something they have never done to us.

Bet the Twitter warriors don't know that.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Interesting. I'd have classed Merrie as more of an attacking midfielder. However it wouldn't be the first time we'd played two defensive midfielders together.

I think McAlear is a decent prospect. Corner taking remains a weak point though.
I agree Boz, Merrie isn't attacking in the same way as Lewis is but he is equally not set up to be defensive either - I would personally describe him as a playmaker - always showing and looking to link play up. I think he and O'Connor could play in the same team with McAlear pushing forward but MM we all know whatever our personal views does not rate Merrie sufficiently so I don't expect it to happen.
Nolan may well come on with more game time and familiarity of players around him of course so we will have to wait and see but I didn't personally think he was any improvement. MacAlear not surprisingly seems a bit inconsistent to me at present but has shown some nice periods of play and also will likely improve significantly as he plays more.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As much as I think merrie has been unlucky at times, it wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t start another game for us and drifts away. Unless we have an injury crisis of course.
It looks like McAlear will always start and probably OConnor. That just leaves one place in the middle 3 and merrie is up against Lewis and Nolan and I’m just not convinced Micky would pick him when everyone is available

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Merrie is probably the weakest out of that bunch anyway. If Nolan gets games and keeps fit, he could be a real good player for us.

Player
Manager
John King
As much as I think merrie has been unlucky at times, it wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t start another game for us and drifts away. Unless we have an injury crisis of course.
It looks like McAlear will always start and probably OConnor. That just leaves one place in the middle 3 and merrie is up against Lewis and Nolan and I’m just not convinced Micky would pick him when everyone is available
Yes, I agree. However Merrie is described, he is basically a holding type player that occupies similar areas of the pitch to O'Connor. It would be quite cautious to play both of them, certainly at home against weak opposition, and I don't think Mellon will want to very often when he has more attacking options such as Morris, Hawkes, Lewis and Nolan (when fully fit) available.