• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Rovers v Newcastle

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Newcastle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we were excellent and realistically could not have given any more.

The turning point in the game was the injury to Krafth and the arrival of Trippier. For all their possession Newcastle created next to nothing in open play, and both goals came from Trippier deliveries. I am not convinced they would have scored without his set plays. I have seen some criticism of our defending for their goals, but his delivery for the winner was world class and very difficult to defend. However, we scored the best goal of the game, a superb move.

I thought everybody put a shift in and played well, but Turnbull and Cogley were excellent, and O'Connor was outstanding. He was absolutely everywhere and also produced a lovely dinked through ball to Cogley in the build up to the first goal. That fifty-fifty he won in the second half was a delight to behold and had the ground bouncing.

I think Mellon also delivers a lot of credit for the tactical set up. We knew exactly when to drop off and when to press and were very well drilled. I also thought Nolan was tidy with the ball and justified his selection in the first half, and O'Connor showed why he is ahead of Merrie in the pecking order.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just watched the highlights. Although I thought the ref was poor overall Hemmings could have easily been sent off
I did not think it was a red because it was a ball he was entitled to go for. There was no malicious intent.

Player
Aldo
Watched it on the telly. Feared a tonking like we sufferred vs Man U and Spurs so was happy with the 2-1. I think we finished well which is always good. The passing got better as the game went on, and it seemed their confidence too. For me, it seemed like we improved once Jameson went off. Highlight for me was the Hewelt save in the second half, the kid played really well. I thought the fullbacks also played very well too and Nevitt never gave up. Hopefully that TV showing can bring a few more to PP on Saturday.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
How come the crowd was 10961 yet according to the trust the last update was just under 11700 did quite a few not turn up.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With reference to the midfield last night, thought O’Connor played well. Nolan, aside from his role in the build up to Nevitt’s goal didn’t seem that involved and McAlear seems to have lost his way a little in recent games.

I don’t see Merrie as a direct alternative to O’Connor, he’s a more attacking player and given the opportunity could have done a decent job alongside O’Connor last night.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hopefully that's just Micky playing things down as it sounds like budget is all gone
Yes I heard that. Suggested the pot is empty or very low but may just be mind games with the deadline not far away.

If it is true then we could be in a bit of trouble notwithstanding the excellent display last night

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I thought we were excellent and realistically could not have given any more.

The turning point in the game was the injury to Krafth and the arrival of Trippier. For all their possession Newcastle created next to nothing in open play, and both goals came from Trippier deliveries. I am not convinced they would have scored without his set plays. I have seen some criticism of our defending for their goals, but his delivery for the winner was world class and very difficult to defend. However, we scored the best goal of the game, a superb move.

I thought everybody put a shift in and played well, but Turnbull and Cogley were excellent, and O'Connor was outstanding. He was absolutely everywhere and also produced a lovely dinked through ball to Cogley in the build up to the first goal. That fifty-fifty he won in the second half was a delight to behold and had the ground bouncing.

I think Mellon also delivers a lot of credit for the tactical set up. We new exactly when to drop off and when to press and were very well drilled. I also thought Nolan was tidy with the ball and justified his selection in the first half, and O'Connor showed why he is ahead of Merrie in the pecking order.
Agree OConnor was excellent last night and will have Earned his place back in the starting 11 for Saturday. Tactically we were spot on with the shape and organisation in open play fantastic. Also thought Nolan did well but not sure he can last the 90 yet although to be fair it was against top level opposition .

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
what made me chuckle last night Talk sport said we were playing downhill and how Newcastle needed protection from how rough Rovers were playing, as for what I said about Jamerson ok it was Harsh but I don't think he is good enough and when all players are fit he will be on the Bench, and yea sounds like the Budget is all gone, and we know the cast from last night will go into other areas of the club and I respect MP for it, although we do need a couple more players

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Really enjoyed the match last night, they did us proud. I was actually more upbeat after the match than many we have won.

Highlights for me:
1) Obviously the goal which would have been a great goal at ANY level of football
2) JDC. Pure class. Always looks like he has time when he has none. He may not be Trippier but looks like he would be comfortable at a much higher level
3) Hewelt kicking with both feet. Nearly one clanger but the ability to do this reduces so much risk, with under-pressure back passes in particular.
4) O'Connor's attempted tackle in front of the Main Stand followed by his charge across the pitch to clear man and ball into the Johnny King. I haven't seen quite that passion since Eddie Bishop and it brought the crowd to their feet. More of it, please!

Really hoping they can take a load of positives from this and be fired up against CUFC with half the crowd and a tenth of the away support.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Newcastle fans making me laugh saying how dirty we were. Imagine if they played a real dirty team! If anything, Rovers aren’t dirty enough!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Newcastle fans making me laugh saying how dirty we were. Imagine if they played a real dirty team! If anything, Rovers aren’t dirty enough!
Crazy! This is why it is typically so difficult for EPL Academy-schooled players at L2 level. Some of the Newcastle "tumbles" etc. were embarrassing and there was one in the second half that definitely warranted a booking. (Obviously, the lad stretchered off is excluded from any criticism, although the challenge was innocuous). You are right, if anything we are far too saintly for L2 and haven't had much bite in recent years. In fact I'm struggling after Harris, Labadie and Welsh. O'Connor could get there!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What? After all the shirt tugging and simulation that they did! What gets me is that for both their goals, our defender was "blocked" by our opponents, leaving the scorer unmarked. Even the Sky commentators noticed and mentioned this to Eddie Howe afterwards, but he refused to comment! Micky claims in his interview that he told the fourth official and the assistant referee that this was happening, but they took no action. With a better referee and/or VAR we might have won, but who knows? It shouldn't take anything away from a great advertisement for English cup football, which even the neutral must have enjoyed.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes. Probably shows you have far detached these clubs and supporters are from the rest of us.