• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Rovers v Newcastle

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Newcastle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really don’t think it matters whether we play 4 or 5 at the back. They will punish us wherever we play. My only reservation with 5 at the back is is just a bit too defensive and we’ll be lucky to get 1 shot on target.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I really don’t think it matters whether we play 4 or 5 at the back. They will punish us wherever we play. My only reservation with 5 at the back is is just a bit too defensive and we’ll be lucky to get 1 shot on target.
Interesting, I was thinking of the 5 being more attacking with JDC and Bristow trying to push forward as wing backs.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it matters in terms of the understanding in the defence. We have played a back five in all of pre-season and in every league and cup game bar 45 minutes, so it is risky to change to an unfamiliar system against vastly superior players, particularly with so many youngsters in the defence.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They play a 4 3 3 system, the pace and movement will be what we won't be able to cope with, although they won't be as quick as their current 1st choice line up.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think it matters in terms of the understanding in the defence. We have played a back five in all of pre-season and in every league and cup game bar 45 minutes, so it is risky to change to an unfamiliar system against vastly superior players, particularly with so many youngsters in the defence.
If we plan to play 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 this season and have recruited on that basis, then why change? We need the players to get used to the system as soon as possible. This system is flexible, giving us 3, 4 or 5 in midfield, as the situation warrants. I would hope we throw everything at them for the first ten minutes and see what happens. That would make them wary. It’s our best chance. If we sit back and rely on breakaways, I think we’ll get slaughtered. With Clarke and Spearing that might have worked, but not with the players we now have.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
11393 sold so far, there are a number of pop up bars to help with the large queues which us a very good idea

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In response to some of the above remarks about formation, it would have made sense to try out different options in pre-season rather than sticking fairly rigidly to 532, while it makes sense to build a squad that is able to play in more than one way. My concerns of playing with 3 central defenders is that unless well-drilled there’s a danger they get in each other’s way, while it seemed at Newport that the wing-backs switched off on their defensive duties at times. We’re likely to stick with the same formation regardless tonight, so can re-evaluate at full time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
With five at the back, we wont use the wing backs. We'll pump it up in the air for Hemmings and the attacks will come to nothing et al Acrington Stanley 1st half.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
With five at the back, we wont use the wing backs. We'll pump it up in the air for Hemmings and the attacks will come to nothing et al Acrington Stanley 1st half.
Their centre halves will win virtually everything in the air

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Hewelt O'Connor and Nolan for Doohan Lewis and Merrie

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pleased Hewelt starts after his efforts in the last round. Disappointed about the line-up otherwise.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
GOOOOAAAAAL! Great move finished by Nevitt! 1-0

We are really up for it tonight, fighting for every ball.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Free kick awarded. Trippier takes. Not cleared and Lascelles equalises. Keep it tight till half-time, lads!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good first half. Score is fair. We are really fired up but Hemmings is lucky to still be on the pitch after several fouls and a foot-up challenge on the keeper.

We look dangerous in attack down our right flank but also vulnerable to Newcastle's attacks.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Better than I expected from Rovers. Second half a real challenge to stay in the game as the Barcodes likely to introduce some more talent off the bench.