• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Cup Rovers v Newcastle

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Newcastle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Call me defeatist but I’d take a 3-0 defeat now, some cash in the bank and move onto Colchester on the Saturday with no real damage done.

A heavy defeat similar to spurs and Man Utd could do a whole lot of damage to already fragile confidence
Yes, I just hope we put in a decent shift and stay in the game as long as possible. We need to take something positive from the game after the second half yesterday.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Call me defeatist but I’d take a 3-0 defeat now, some cash in the bank and move onto Colchester on the Saturday with no real damage done.

A heavy defeat similar to spurs and Man Utd could do a whole lot of damage to already fragile confidence
I expect it will.be double that at least

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Newcastle starting to use subs, cracking game of football

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great game of football. Trippiers red card changed on VAR to a yellow. Bet he was panicking he might miss the big game on Wednesday !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think Newcastle will want to win a trophy quickly to keep the new owners happy, so expect they will play as weak a side that they think will still be capable of seeing us off. However the bench will be rammed with stars in case it doesn’t quite go to plan.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Think Newcastle will want to win a trophy quickly to keep the new owners happy, so expect they will play as weak a side that they think will still be capable of seeing us off. However the bench will be rammed with stars in case it doesn’t quite go to plan.
Yes I agree. Top 4 is out of their reach, top seven maybe on current form but as Boz says they’ll surely have cup competitions as a priority

Player
Manager
John King
Wilson went off with a suspected hamstring injury, so almost certainly won't be in their squad.

drwhoman

I know I am a wet blanket but I cannot get excited about this game. Obviously I hope we play well but against a 'sportswashing' team? Some guy got 34 years in Saudi the other day for supporting activists and dissenters on Twitter!

Player
Manager
John King
I know I am a wet blanket but I cannot get excited about this game. Obviously I hope we play well but against a 'sportswashing' team? Some guy got 34 years in Saudi the other day for supporting activists and dissenters on Twitter!
If it was down to me the EPL in its entirety would not exist, but unfortunately we don't get to choose who we play.

I am sure Liverpool won't forfeit the points they earn against Newcastle this season.

Reactions: Boz

ADD

Player
Norwood
Worse it was a lady supporting women's rights on twitter....
It's a poisoned chalice the last thing we need is Hemmings or Turnbull injured trying 110% to keep the score reasonable.
What we need is not to be embarrassed and for them to go easy once 2 or 3 up..

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We haven’t even got a reserve team any more to suggest sending them out :)

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I am keeping away seen the last few games against the spurs and man u so If I stay away we will win or lose 20-0

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'm finding the negativity towards this fixture surprising. We have the opportunity to welcome (possibly) the best fans in the world to Prenton Park and some fantastic footballers. We are massive underdogs so, should the unexpected happen, it could be one of those "were you there when...?" nights. As far as the "sportswashing" is concerned we can only play who is put in front of us; can you imagine if we had taken a stand against all corrupt/immoral/dubious opposition owners over the years? We have been really fortunate in the past few years to have had some top teams at PP and this could be the last time for years, we should embrace the occasion. We had to wait wait 4 years between the visits of Swansea and Spurs, and Swansea hardly had the allure of a Spurs, United or Newcastle!

There will be a healthy turnout and we are making good TV money. I can guarantee that every available player will want to be on the pitch on Wednesday to test themselves against the best in front of a TV audience. Their expectations will probably be similar to ours; we need to play our best, the opposition need to be poor and we probably need some luck to have even a chance. I would be astonished if even a heavy defeat would impact our confidence ahead of Colchester on Saturday.

Let's enjoy the occasion and take it for exactly what it is!

Player
Manager
John King
I would be astonished if even a heavy defeat would impact our confidence ahead of Colchester on Saturday.
I agree with most of the above post, apart from this line. I think it is a valid concern that such a young group of players could be negatively affected by a real thrashing. Even some of our experienced pros, such as Steve McNulty, never really recovered from the Spurs mauling.

However, I agree that we should try and enjoy what is a big occasion for the club (as far as is possible).

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just to cheer us all up before tomorrow’s game. Despite our worst start to a season for years, we actually gained as many points in our first three games as Liverpool and Everton combined. ;)