• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v County

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Stockport

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v County
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, November 1, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m not surprised at the formation but a little at who stays and goes. Lewis thought he’d be fit for the Cup game so a bit of a bonus to have on the bench tonight and good to see Tom Davies making the bench after a long absence. Still not convinced we’ll have enough tonight though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A fairly even half although we’re giving quite a few free kicks away. Not doing much in the final third but doing ok overall

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Feels a bit more like containment to me. Five at the back are keeping Stockport at bay but we are doing nothing up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Definite improvement on Saturday. However Gareth Roberts who is the Ifollow summariser thought Stockport were getting to control the game towards the end of the half and felt Rovers were too quick to get rid, rather than carry the ball more. I’d say need to get Morris more involved, barely had a touch. Bit worried about this ref, thought if anything it was a foul on O’Connor and certainly not deserving a yellow card.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
god we are shit up front the two lads both need replacing if they both were gone in Jan, or next summer would we complain it is just the same shit another day we have scored 1 goal in 3 home games and won non not good enough our so-called forward line is just not up to standard rant over

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There was plenty of effort from both teams bit a lack of quality going forward and a poor ref

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Steady game for Rovers, one good chance which Lewis couldn't convert after Hemmings cross-shot and a late flurry of Stockport corners made for a slightly nervy ending. For the most part we blunted the visitors attacking threat though. Players like Bristow and Merrie who'd been below par on Saturday did better tonight, but no stand-out performer in this game and nobody off the boil either. Rot stopped, though I wouldn't want us to play 532. every match. We progress in the Pizza Cup too...

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
god we are shit up front the two lads both need replacing if they both were gone in Jan, or next summer would we complain it is just the same shit another day we have scored 1 goal in 3 home games and won non not good enough our so-called forward line is just not up to standard rant over
You must have been watching a different game to me.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
In isolation, I’d say that performance wasn’t too bad against a team who’re in good form. However, in the context of the three home games, the point and the way we set up that appeared to be more about nullifying/containing the opposition, adds some disappointment. Had a real feeling of us being the away team. Having said that, I’m quite relieved about not getting beat as I had a bad feeling before the game, which is quite a rarity for me.
A lot less frustrating than Carlisle and even Rochdale for me.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought we played well and I am disappointed we did not win after the second half display. I would say we had three very good chances to win the game in the second half, the two efforts from Lewis and another superb ball from Bristow where we could not get a final touch. The performance was hardly just about containment because we looked the more dynamic and adventurous side after the break.

I thought Stockport edged the first half and generally kept the ball better, although we defended well and played some decent football in spells. However, after half time we settled better into the formation and dominated for the most part, playing the more incisive football. I would be perfectly happy to see us use the 532 in formation in future, as this was nothing like the early season displays and we would win games against poorer opposition with this set up.

I thought pretty much everybody played well. Morris was my man of the match, but Merrie, Bristow, O'Connor, Cogley and the two regular centre halves all had very good games. Jameson also deserves praise for his performance, a couple of nervy moments in the second half but generally very solid. Ross Doohan was also composed and very good with the ball at his feet this evening.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree it was a good performance overall but I left frustrated thinking from 3 home games we’ve got 2 points…. and scored 1 goal.

Once again their was plenty of effort and some good build up play at times, but also once again we were fairly toothless. The ball Bristow put in was excellent and why neither of our strikers could anticipate where it would go is beyond me. Lewis had a couple of half chances and Morris and merrie could have gotten shots off in the second half. Defensively we did well and had to survive some very late pressure.

It’s just frustrating that 3 homes games has yielded so little. Hemmings was poor again and I would have preferred Nevitt staying on. Morris worked hard and merrie was better than he was on Saturday. MOM for me was turnbull but there were a few good performances. Doohan was noticeably playing it out from the back more which did get us into a bit of trouble at times but he looked overall more dominant which he needs to be. OConnor played well and to be honest I’d have either him or turnbull has captain to take some heat off Kane.

Not sure where this leaves us overall. Probably just floating along and hoping come January we can improve the squad. The division is still very tight

Player
Manager
John King
I agree it was a good performance overall but I left frustrated thinking from 3 home games we’ve got 2 points…. and scored 1 goal.
But by contrast, we recently won three away games in succession which nobody would have anticipated. We are experiencing a dip in form, but today's performance was an improvement on the previous two.

We played two decent sides this week and it is a long season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
But by contrast, we recently won three away games in succession which nobody would have anticipated. We are experiencing a dip in form, but today's performance was an improvement on the previous two.

We played two decent sides this week and it is a long season.
Yes 46 league games of course and we’re only two points off the play offs albeit most teams have a game in hand but a long way to go.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The first half was definately a cautious one where we stopped Stockport making any meaningful surges forward however we only had one shot on target and going forward was not really part of the plan. However, we stepped up a gear in the second half and were more adventurous. Overall we had the better chances and Lewis really should have buried one of them but both teams had chances and both teams were wasteful.

But.. it is a point against a decent team in form and we have stopped the mini rot so hopefully we can build on this. Still not so sure about five at the back as I think it leaves us quite thin in midfield but maybe it works against certain teams.

Player
Manager
John King
Just a mention for the useless referee as well.

Nevitt actually had the shirt ripped from his back, but the ref did not deem the foul a bookable offence. Remarkable.

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Agree. We've now lost only once in the last nine and there have been six clean sheets in that period. Lack of a goal threat remains the issue, all the more so when you leave out a potential goal source (Hawkes) to accommodate an extra defender.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just a mention for the useless referee as well.

Nevitt actually had the shirt ripped from his back, but the ref did not deem the foul a bookable offence. Remarkable.
Yes and Stockport were throwing themselves to the ground on a regular basis.

On the plus side I believe we’re in the next round of the pizza trophy !

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Agree with a lot of what has been said above. I enjoyed the match, it was very competitive between two evenly matched teams. It could have gone either way and I thought a draw was a fair result. I feel certain that Stockport will finish well above their current league position. Credit to the Stockport fans who supported their team magnificently. I suspect there won't be many occasions when they away support forms such a high proportion of the total gate at PP, since the home support looked pretty sparse tonight.