• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v County

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Stockport

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v County
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, November 1, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Considering the money they have spent on their squad I thought Stockport were very disappointing and Carlisle last Saturday were much better than them

Reactions: Ian
Player
ian goodison
forget the 1st half I thought the 2nd half was much better, both teams really going for it, I too thought a draw a fair result and for all the money spent stockport only really troubled us from corners, for me jameson/merrie my MOM but a big improvement from sat. what annoyed me was with a couple of minutes to go and hemmings received the ball he looked to be wasting time whereas nevitt would have at least tried to make something of it, as others have said 2pts from a possible 9 at home is shocking.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Ironically, Stockport turned Carlisle over at home before Carlisle played us; funny game football.
I think Stockport are now finding their feet in League Two and looked a pretty solid unit with some good ball players. I’d expect them to be in the top half as a minimum and possibly a good shout of the play-offs, but like I said, it’s a funny old game.
I also think Challinor is an astute manager and talked a lot of sense in his post-match interview (that’s not a reflection/comparison with Micky by the way).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Considering the money they have spent on their squad I thought Stockport were very disappointing and Carlisle last Saturday were much better than them
I think it would be safe to say that Carlisle have spent less on their squad than Rovers, a glance at wiki suggests only Sho-Silva attracted a fee. It's not just about money.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it would be safe to say that Carlisle have spent less on their squad than Rovers, a glance at wiki suggests only Sho-Silva attracted a fee. It's not just about money.
I don't think that is correct. It is not about transfer fees. They have a much larger squad of senior players, and their wages have to be paid.

The side they put out on Saturday was much better than ours would have been with eleven players missing due to injury or suspension.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few thoughts about the post-match comments.

It's harder to evaluate who's playing well when watching on screen rather than at the game. It looked to me as though we were quieter down our right, where Calum Macdonald had a good game at left wing-back. I didn't think Morris did anything wrong, save the header where I'd rather he was the provider and Hemmings/Lewis on the end of, but he seemed to have less time on the ball than in the Carlisle game, maybe doing more work out of possession? I was a little surprised he was sponsor's MoM, although I'd be hard-pressed to pick anyone, a decent team performance rather than any stand-outs.

Shirt-pulling seems to be let go more by referees this season. The Nevitt one was an extreme example, but Turnbull did it more than once, he's already racked up a few bookings, so perhaps need to be grateful for the lenient approach.

I agree with the sentiment that Hemmings ought to be the one making way sometimes, Lewis/Nevitt played quite well together in the first half Pizza Cup game v Leeds kids and Hemmings wasn't doing that much last night. There should be no sacred cows...

My assessment was this performance wasn't as good as Rochdale, although the opponent was unquestionably stronger.

Crowd numbers; think a lot stayed away due to a combination of the poor showing v Carlisle and the weather forecast. Personally, originally arranged time off to get to the game, but when my usual plans for a Wirral stop-over weren't available, decided not to bother. If we'd played well on Saturday I'd have made more effort to sort something.

Micky's post-match would have been better if he'd cut out the references to how much more money Stockport have. In between that and previous remarks about the younger players we're working with it is getting a little tedious.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Micky's post-match would have been better if he'd cut out the references to how much more money Stockport have. In between that and previous remarks about the younger players we're working with it is getting a little tedious.
I know what you mean Boz but I think he feels he needs to justify the reasons why we don't win every game as some supporters seem to think we have a right too.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think that is correct. It is not about transfer fees. They have a much larger squad of senior players, and their wages have to be paid.

The side they put out on Saturday was much better than ours would have been with eleven players missing due to injury or suspension.
Carlisle played just about their full-strength defence at the weekend, and Dennis and Guy would normally start if fit, as they did, so no more than about four missing. Some of their own fans have admitted making a meal about absentees. On squad size, they had a few more than us, but quite a few names I didn't recognise, can't say if they're senior or not.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think the quotes of "goals goals goals" and "more risk taking" from Mark and Micky are coming back to bite them as its clear neither are close to being right.
January will be interesting to see If any signings are young project type players or more senior professionals. Also scottish press have linked Cogley with Aberdeen next summer meaning we would get nothing for him

Player
Manager
John King
Carlisle played just about their full-strength defence at the weekend, and Dennis and Guy would normally start if fit, as they did, so no more than about four missing. Some of their own fans have admitted making a meal about absentees. On squad size, they had a few more than us, but quite a few names I didn't recognise, can't say if they're senior or not.
If they had eleven missing in total, whether regulars or not, they must have a deeper squad than ours. We could not name a 'senior' squad of twenty two players.

Player
Manager
John King
I find the idiotic comments on Twitter and elsewhere after every game more tedious. He is simply stating the facts, whether people are prepared to accept them or not.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If they had eleven missing in total, whether regulars or not, they must have a deeper squad than ours. We could not name a 'senior' squad of twenty two players.
They had four regulars at most missing for the weekend game.
I find the idiotic comments on Twitter and elsewhere after every game more tedious. He is simply stating the facts, whether people are prepared to accept them or not.
Micky knew the reality when he re-signed though. Most fans understand the situation too.

Player
Manager
John King
They had four regulars at most missing for the weekend game.

Micky knew the reality when he re-signed though. Most fans understand the situation too.
They had eleven squad members missing. We don't have eleven squad members in addition to our matchday squad. They must have a bigger squad.

Yes, Mellon does understand the financial situation, which people who claim we should be a shoo-in for promotion do not.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Regarding the crowd, we had three home games in eight days so it is hardly surprising the home turnout was lower yesterday. However, there were more than 5,000 home fans in the ground, which is perfectly respectable for a Tuesday night game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says the attendance was always going to be impacted by three home games in a week. Had we beaten Carlisle then more May have come but let’s face it was pretty dire. Furthermore the weather was shocking albeit the rain stopped but many people will have looked out the window, thought about Carlisle and thought not tonight.

Micky does get accused of saying the same stuff e.g. we’ll keep going but what else can he say? He gets asked the same questions often. As bigmart says the issues is the suggestions made pre season that we’d be a lot more attractive to watch this season, but as Micky says it could leave us open.

Whereas in fact we’re as toothless at times as we were last season so nothing has changed in the goals scored column. 18 scored in 17 leagues games so 1 goal a game on average. Whereas only 13 conceded. Sound familiar?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As RLC says the attendance was always going to be impacted by three home games in a week. Had we beaten Carlisle then more May have come but let’s face it was pretty dire. Furthermore the weather was shocking albeit the rain stopped but many people will have looked out the window, thought about Carlisle and thought not tonight.

Micky does get accused of saying the same stuff e.g. we’ll keep going but what else can he say? He gets asked the same questions often. As bigmart says the issues is the suggestions made pre season that we’d be a lot more attractive to watch this season, but as Micky says it could leave us open.

Whereas in fact we’re as toothless at times as we were last season so nothing has changed in the goals scored column. 18 scored in 17 leagues games so 1 goal a game on average. Whereas only 13 conceded. Sound familiar?
After 17 games last season we had 23 points and a goal difference of zero. This time, despite our last four results, we have 25 points and a goal difference of five. For me, that's an improvement.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
After 17 games last season we had 23 points and a goal difference of zero. This time, despite our last four results, we have 25 points and a goal difference of five. For me, that's an improvement.
On the downside, we’re all a year older; I would say wiser, but not always the case….speaking for myself of course :)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
On the downside, we’re all a year older; I would say wiser, but not always the case….speaking for myself of course :)
And I have said that more times than you, GTS! Slightly more seriously, although all the fans are a year older, the team is actually a few years younger than last year. ;)

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
And I have said that more times than you, GTS! Slightly more seriously, although all the fans are a year older, the team is actually a few years younger than last year. ;)
It’s just a myth that team age thing BBTC; they just look younger because we’re older!
In all seriousness, when you do see some of the players up close in the club shop, walking into the stadium (even seen some in the TESCO local buying meal deals) they look so young! I remember seeing Jolley last season and if it wasn’t for his height, I’d swear he was about twelve!