• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v County

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Stockport

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v County
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, November 1, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Stockport has sold the away end out or will do by the end of the week we should have 8k plus let us get positive and hope rovers turn up after Mellons rant at the weekend 3-0 rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Two teams struggling for form with the exact same record after 7 games, although Tranmere's GD is slightly better. I'm hoping with a decent crowd under the lights, the lads will give a solid performance and we can come away with three points.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They sold out initial allocation so will be the only team to fill the away end this season. Imperative we win this and think we will 2 1, hopefully Hemmings will net

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Need to watch the centre back horsefall who scored twice from corners for Northampton against us last season and got the winner in the same way for Stockport when they won last Saturday

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Very much doubt the game will go ahead after today's sad news (and that is coming from a Republican).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would think most sport be off at the very least this weekend

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Disappointing, but to be expected I suppose. Don't really get it - albeit I'm a Republican.

Player
Manager
John King
This weekend's games were postponed purely as a mark of respect, but next week's fixtures are also apparently in doubt due to lack of available policing as a result of the funeral. However, a fixture like Salford v Tranmere would probably have a very low police presence anyway, so will the League One and Two games be unaffected ?

I would presume the Bradford game on Tuesday is still on, but who knows.

drwhoman

Why am I not surprised by another strange decision? I say this as a monarchist living in Australia. Respect is best shown when people come together. Britain was more monarchist in 52 and yet football carried on when George VI died. Other sports are carrying on now. They understand the best way to show respect. And there may be more cancellations next weekend although the European games in the week will probably be played! At the same time many casual workers will lose pay (not just at the game but in surrounding businesses) at a time of huge energy prices while good luck to anyone trying to get refunds on train or plane tickets! It apparently took the Premier League 20 minutes to throw the weekend into chaos for people around football. The Queen always put duty above self. I wish the football authorities had done the same!

Player
Manager
John King
I personally think it was right that this weekend's games were called off, but it should not go beyond that.

However, I do find it bizarre that 'upper class' sports like rugby union and cricket are carrying on as normal tomorrow.

drwhoman

I personally think it was right that this weekend's games were called off, but it should not go beyond that.

However, I do find it bizarre that 'upper class' sports like rugby union and cricket are carrying on as normal tomorrow.
In 1952 ‘rugger’ was postponed but football carried on! Man City will pay its 1000 casual workers while others will pay when the relevant game takes place. Liverpool are donating 30 trollies of food to local charities. There are some positives! It is worth remembering that many casual workers are not employed by the relevant clubs so they will probably get zip.
I think that next weekend is about policing in London with the funeral on the Monday so it may be just about some PL games including Chelsea v Liverpool.

drwhoman

The latest advice is that the Tuesday game against Bradford will go ahead. The Football Supporters Association has said that ‘while it was a difficult decision, an opportunity to show respect has been lost this weekend’.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I understand the respect thing, but don't get why football should take the hit. Dept of Culture, Sport etc have said Theatre performance in London and across the country can go ahead as per schedule throughout the period of mourning. As a mark of respect they will dim the lights for 2 mins each night at 7 pm. Could football not organise a minute's silence?
Strangely there is Premiership rugby, Super League and Test Cricket this weekend if ppl need a sports fix. Crackers.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m a bit annoyed that grassroots football is off. I coach u16s and my daughter players u12s. Instead of being out in the fresh air being active they’ll all be playing on their Xboxes and phones.

Arguably it would I have been more respectful for them to have a minutes silence and wear black armbands. Only one weekend hopefully although if the funeral is next Saturday then they may miss out again. In Scotland they cancelled professional sport but not kids which is better I think

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think it’s probably right to cancel but surely all sports should have followed, voluntarily of course. I hardly think a round of applause in the 96th minute would have been appropriate.

From a selfish point of view, the cancellation may be a good thing as hopefully we’ll have fewer injuries when the game is eventually played.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
. Instead of being out in the fresh air being active they’ll all be playing on their Xboxes and phones.
My lads team couldn't even do a training session so we all went to the park and did one anyway, we just weren't allowed to wear the team kits. Bit silly really.

drwhoman

As I alluded before. This was a bad decision but what do we expect from the people running the sport? To even include children was pure nonsense. 1952 was a different more conservative world but even they had moved beyond this decision. They saw how football and so many lives are intertwined. Their lives included the late King who had done such a great job during the war, as had the rest of his family, which included the Queen of course.

drwhoman

They sang God Save the King at the cricket, observed silence, wore black armbands. 'We were very proud to do that in the Queen’ honour' said Ben Stokes! Enough said!