• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v County

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Stockport

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v County
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, November 1, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It will be interesting to see whether we make any tactical changes for this game.

Stockport play five in midfield similar to Carlisle, so if they start the game confidently there is a danger we will be overrun as we were in the first half yesterday. However, I don't think five at the back or playing with a lone striker suits us at the moment, so I can only see a change to something like a 442 diamond to give us more of a foothold in the game.

Our problems in the last three games have all stemmed from giving away a sloppy goal in the first half, so it is vital that Simeu in particular gets back to basics and we are solid defensively.

In terms of personnel, I think Merrie is almost certain to be dropped. My preference would be to replace him with McAlear, as patchy as he was earlier in the season, but I could understand Mellon opting for Nolan to at least improve our ball retention in that area of the pitch.

Stockport are a moneybags club with numerous attacking threats including Sarcevic, Madden and Wootton and a victory would be particularly sweet if we can achieve it. Connor Jennings has been on the bench for the majority of the season but Callum MacDonald is likely to start.

I will be at The Etihad on Wednesday night for a Chamions League game, so in little over twenty four hours I will have watched the best team on the planet and Manchester City.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not sure what to expect from this game after yesterday's horror show, would take a draw but think we will lose 2 1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Surely we can't put in another inept performance? I'm hoping they have some pride and come out fighting for the ball.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I suspect we’ll start the game well with good intensity as Micky will have given them a rollicking yesterday. If we do start well and can keep it tight then you never know. However the visitors come in good form and with a large vocal support and good players at this level, it’ll arguably be a bigger challenge than Harrogate, Rochdale and Carlisle.

I think it could go either way but I am fearful of another defeat and a toxic atmosphere….

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In his post match interview yesterday, Micky seemed to accept that neither the substitutions or tactical tweaks made a significant difference to the game, so he has the option of largely playing the same starting line up and formation or changing tack completely. While I wouldn't start Merrie for the reasons set out on the Carlisle thread, it would be delusional to think that just replacing him and minor tactical tweaks would solve things, as the second half yesterday when we arguably played worse and created less chances demonstrates.

If we stick with 442, I would like to rest Bristow, but with Robinson out we don't have the option to do that. Also worth considering is resting Simeu after his recent dip in form and there are options available, though too soon for Tom Davies. While Nolan is the more likely starter, it would be good to see McAlear back in action during the game

It feels more likely to me that MM will opt to mirror Stockport in a 523 formation. Unsure if that will work.

There were too many players off their game and failing to show enough fight in the Carlisle match for it to be acceptable to our fans. Regardless of result, Rovers need to put in a more feisty performance and get the crowd behind them. We need a point, ideally 3, but not confident of getting anything unless there is a significant improvement on the pitch.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
While I wouldn't start Merrie for the reasons set out on the Carlisle thread, it would be delusional to think that just replacing him and minor tactical tweaks would solve things, as the second half yesterday when we arguably played worse and created less chances demonstrates.
We were better in the second half than in the first twenty minutes of the first half. We at least regained some control in midfield when Nolan replaced Merrie and stemmed the tide of opposition attacks.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We were better in the second half than in the first twenty minutes of the first half. We at least regained some control in midfield when Nolan replaced Merrie and stemmed the tide of opposition attacks.
Agree regarding the control element and initially Nolan was also trying to set up attacking moves until Carlisle put a man on him. However aside from the Nevitt half chance we created almost nothing in the second half.

Player
ian goodison
I think the limitations of the squad are coming home to roost, I would leave merrie & hawkes out but are left with the question will the players coming in make any difference? mellon states the subs wouldn,t have made any difference which begs the question regarding his limitations, 3 games in a week being a pensioner even though the stockport ticket was bought some time ago is a struggle, but won,t put up with many more performances like last sat. mellon has some job on his hands at the moment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes and with so little room for movement in the squad, it also makes competition between the players non-existent. Complacency can set in too easily.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I usually go for a Rovers win, but can't see us getting anything out of this game, given the relative form of the two teams. Suddenly, a seven-game unbeaten streak has become three matches without a win! Some changes are needed. Tinkering with the system alone won't help, so I'm expecting at least two or three new players and maybe a tactical switch. The thing is that Micky knows who's performing in training. We don't, so we can't know who (if anyone) is knocking on the first-team door.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
in the last few games, the front two have done FK all something needs to change in Jan its crazy that we have been in this situation now for over a season, just not good enough

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I usually go for a Rovers win, but can't see us getting anything out of this game, given the relative form of the two teams. Suddenly, a seven-game unbeaten streak has become three matches without a win! Some changes are needed. Tinkering with the system alone won't help, so I'm expecting at least two or three new players and maybe a tactical switch. The thing is that Micky knows who's performing in training. We don't, so we can't know who (if anyone) is knocking on the first-team door.
I think a tactical switch is really the only way to go if we want to rest more than the odd player. A switch to a back 5 would do this and potentially create more natural opportunities for the likes of McAlear and Hughes to step in further forward. It would be a brave move by Mickey, though, following the slating he had earlier in the season from some quarters. I do think he needs to freshen things up by some means and rest some legs.

I've gone against the grain for a Rovers' win more for our tendency to make a mockery of any statistical logic (WWWWWDDL?) than any real conviction. I really don't want to be leaving PP tomorrow to the sounds of moans and worse which will be inevitable if there is a repeat of Saturday.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Stockport have won their last three league games, whereas Carlisle had lost their last two prior to playing us. Clutching at straws, but I’m hoping Stockport may be a little over-confident and we surprise them with a ruthless display (I’m adding wishful thinking to my straw clutching to come up with a winning formula :)).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The more I think about this game, the more it starts to worry me. I think we may be playing Stockport at a bad time now they have found some form but football does surprise us in many ways. I just hope it's a nice surprise!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just as an aside, our last home fixture against Stockport was Les Parry's first game in charge in October 2009.

Seems like another world now.
Having your physio as manager. What dark days befell us.