• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Cobblers

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Northampton

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Cobblers
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, May 8, 2023 - 12:30 PM
Until: Monday, May 8, 2023 - 02:15 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Even at one point in the second half we had Burton, Taylor and Turner Cooke up against their defensive giants and it was men against boys

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
What a load of cobblers!

How can our main striker go into the last ten minutes, when we are losing, end the game in midfield?
I'm afraid, it was totally pointless having him on the pitch!

Some nice football, with no end product. We didn't have a striker/ forward/ goalscorer on the pitch at any time!
we played a team that have gone up automatically, and they were not that good! Great strike but it wasn't a game full of chances!

so underwhelmed at the poor level at league two, shocking really!

Hendry, player of match. Wish we had his commitment further up the pitch! Davies decent!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hopefully we can sign hendry in the summer. The standard this season hasn’t been great but we finished 17 points off the play offs so a big gap to shorten next season.

Re Hemmings. He was playing as a number 10 in the hope he could hit one from the edge of the box.
Given he nearly left us in January I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re trying to offload him in the summer

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fairly mundane end to the season. Taylor looked promising, Tom Davies strong and Hawkes and JDC looked good in patches. Bristow had a day to forget, although think he was involved in the ball across the box needing a touch to get a goal.

Hemmings was manhandled by their big no 6 in the first half and given no protection at all by the mediocre referee. Doesn’t really look like scoring or get into a position to score in games like this. If we are able to move him on, I wouldn’t argue.

On the age balance we went from being the oldest squad to one of the youngest. Hoping we can strike the right balance, but will need some youngsters to maintain the development model. Need to find a decent striker for this level, pay the going rate and get them embedded early, we can do the thrift elsewhere.

Was Adkins there today?

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Fairly mundane end to the season. Taylor looked promising, Tom Davies strong and Hawkes and JDC looked good in patches. Bristow had a day to forget, although think he was involved in the ball across the box needing a touch to get a goal.

Hemmings was manhandled by their big no 6 in the first half and given no protection at all by the mediocre referee. Doesn’t really look like scoring or get into a position to score in games like this. If we are able to move him on, I wouldn’t argue.

On the age balance we went from being the oldest squad to one of the youngest. Hoping we can strike the right balance, but will need some youngsters to maintain the development model. Need to find a decent striker for this level, pay the going rate and get them embedded early, we can do the thrift elsewhere.

Was Adkins there today?
Adkins was present, sat next to Palios

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I was thinking at one point I hope it isn’t too many cooks on the bench next season. You’ll have Dawes, Parky, Murphy, Danns and Hodgy. Am guessing Adkins will be in the stand or might even be a part time appointment as think he lives down south

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Yeah, he was next to MP!
The lip reading went like this.....
Nigel.... 'who is the p!ayer on the left?'
Mark.....' Didn't you buy a programme?'
Nigel.....' How many of this team, has a contract?'
Mark.....' A few of the kids that can be sold on, if possible!'
Nigel.....' I've heard AM, can do a mean lunch?'
Mark.....' He charged too much! You should go the chippy round the corner at half time!'

Or something like that!

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Good interview with their manager on radio 5.
10 first teasmers out, playing CMs at CB and their captain/goal scorer at RB. Not a great budget and could only bring in players discarded by other L2 clubs on minimum wage. But they bought into their story and put the effort in. Think he said it was barely a top ten budget. Credit where its due.
Their dark arts p#ssed me off.....equally we might be a bit green in that regard.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I know it was experimental time but players such as Taylor, Mumbongo and Burton should be nowhere near the first team. We have to strengthen a hell of a lot over the next few months. I'm not convinced..

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Need to find a decent striker for this level, pay the going rate and get them embedded early, we can do the thrift elsewhere.
Yes, absolutely crucial that we bring in a decent centre forward or next season will be a case of rinse and repeat.

If we have not signed one by early August, we will know we are simply repeating the errors of previous seasons.

Reactions: Boz

ADD

Player
Norwood
A penny for Mellon's thoughts reading that.......
Based on today's showing there is a stong argument Taylor should have been played much earlier this season by MM.
Very unlucky not to score his second in two games and was in space so many times it was unreal. Looked like he needed better playes to find him! We will find out next season but locking him in for 2 years might prove to be a lovely piece of business by MP given we sold Doohan for £100k. He could do very well for us.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Based on today's showing there is a stong argument Taylor should have been played much earlier this season by MM.
Very unlucky not to score his second in two games and was in space so many times it was unreal. Looked like he needed better playes to find him! We will find out next season but locking him in for 2 years might prove to be a lovely piece of business by MP given we sold Doohan for £100k. He could do very well for us.
Mellon blooded numerous young players this and last season, several of whom will probably be sold for money in the summer.

Dawes has been manager for over two months and has only given opportunities to Taylor in the last couple of games due to injuries. He clearly was not ready earlier in the season.

My point related to the balance of youth and experience in the squad, which clearly was not right this season, as Dawes has admitted.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Taylor has done fairly well in the last two games but I don't think we should get carried away. He's very young and inexperienced. We do not want to go down this road again. We need experienced pros that can do the business.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I know it was experimental time but players such as Taylor, Mumbongo and Burton should be nowhere near the first team. We have to strengthen a hell of a lot over the next few months. I'm not convinced.
I just don't get how inept Mumbongo is. He must know what his attributes are and what would be expected of him, but he just doesn't make or have any physical contact with the opposition CBs. What does he think he's there for. At least Hemmings was there backing in and battling without the same physical attributes of Mumbongo.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m hopeful that’s the last we’ll see of mumbongo (and Burton),

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I just can't work out what Hemmings is doing? He shows some neat touches on the ball, plays neat passes and can compete physically but he is never in a goalscoring position. What is his position? He seems to have morphed into a midfielder.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Taylor has done fairly well in the last two games but I don't think we should get carried away. He's very young and inexperienced. We do not want to go down this road again. We need experienced pros that can do the business.
As the development project is going to continue, we are going to have young inexperienced players in the mix though Ian. There’s an argument that even without the project, there’s a need for some young blood in a team for the energy it provides.
Specifically re Taylor, it was an encouraging performance. Although too early to call, I wouldn’t rule him out of having some part to play next season.