• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Cobblers

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Northampton

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Cobblers
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, May 8, 2023 - 12:30 PM
Until: Monday, May 8, 2023 - 02:15 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the 'technical director' do?

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I know it won't be Jimmy Harvey we had a chat last night he said his phone was going mad with guys asking questions but as he said he is way past it we hsd a good talk abt palios and Daws

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Looking to bring in more Tom Davies characters suggesting we’ll bring in some more leaders in the summer
Based on the balance of the squad in recent times, it may equally mean half a dozen centre backs. Sorry, gallows humour kicking in....

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the 'technical director' do?
Here you go Ian: "Football technical directors help football clubs to develop a sustainable business model and sporting identity over a multi-year period. They may cultivate global fanbases to increase annual revenue, design young player and coaching development programmes and manage squad recruitment."

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Looking to bring in more Tom Davies characters suggesting we’ll bring in some more leaders in the summer
Strange that Mellon leaves and then we start bringing in more of the kind of characters favoured by Mellon, rather than kids. A lot of things don't entirely add up at the moment.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I
Strange that Mellon leaves and then we start bringing in more of the kind of characters favoured by Mellon, rather than kids. A lot of things don't entirely add up at the moment.
indeed. You can imagine micky thinking it sounds like they are going to bring in the types of players he would have wanted and may well have had success with….

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think there will still be a number of young players signing as well as some experienced players

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hopefully they'll have learnt something from this season and we get a bit of a balanced squad.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Here you go Ian: "Football technical directors help football clubs to develop a sustainable business model and sporting identity over a multi-year period. They may cultivate global fanbases to increase annual revenue, design young player and coaching development programmes and manage squad recruitment."
Sounds quite a tough job, especially cultivating global fanbases.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't actually think we will be turned over heavily as there will be a lot of anxiety in the Northampton players, particularly after last season's events. I think a draw or narrow defeat is the more likely outcome.

In recent years we have had to endure several opposition promotion parties at Prenton Park, so it would be good if we could prevent this one.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Any team updates, is Saunders going to be fit and will Jolley feature at all?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Any team updates, is Saunders going to be fit and will Jolley feature at all?
No specific mentions but Saunders injury last week was his hamstring so given we don’t have much to play for I’d be amazed if they risk him. More likely Taylor will start after his goal and Jolley on the bench and can come on with 20mins to go when we’re 3-0 up! :)

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I would love for the team to turn up and win thats all i want just a win

ADD

Player
Norwood
Looking forward to this. Hope we turn up as Am says and more importantly put in a preformance. We tend to do better against the better sides so here's hoping.

Team wise think the only change will be Taylor starting as doubt we will want to risk Saunders for what at the end of the day is a meaningless fixture for us notwithstanding the benefits in potentially settling down at least some of the fan base if we play well under Dawes as permanent Manager.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
We did well against the top sides under Mellon, including a draw at Northampton earlier in the season.

Dawes has not been tested in that regard, other than a humiliation at Carlisle.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
just a win to close what has been a poor season then for a change let us assemble the team early so the management can work with them but we know that never happens

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our performances v Carlisle home and away under Mellon and Dawes were both poor and conceding an early goal in each game certainly didn’t help. The new manager hasn’t had a home game against one of the top sides yet.

In the reverse fixture, Rovers played
well and could easily have taken all the points. A lot of water under the bridge since then. Think it’s very important how we approach this game mentally. A battling performance, even if we lose is a must for me. Anything less and given the general unhappiness with Dawes’ appointment, things could turn toxic. My inclination is that we lose this one given Northampton’s greater need for the points.

Player
Manager
John King
Our performances v Carlisle home and away under Mellon and Dawes were both poor and conceding an early goal in each game certainly didn’t help. The new manager hasn’t had a home game against one of the top sides yet.
I was not focussing purely on the Carlisle games. I was focussing on performances against the top sides in general.

The implication in the previous post was that 'we' have done well against top opposition this season, whereas all of our strong performances and good results came under Mellon. I appreciate Dawes has only played one fixture against a good team, due to his easier run of fixtures.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Off topic but our old play off rivals borehamwood currently 2-1 up at notts county