• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Cobblers

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Northampton

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Cobblers
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, May 8, 2023 - 12:30 PM
Until: Monday, May 8, 2023 - 02:15 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree Boz. I'm not saying he shouldn't be a part of the team but he is way off being ready for the standard we need. Probably my fault for tarring him with the same brush as Mumbongo and Burton .

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Hemmings just needs to be moved on just not good enough for our Amazing club we have MP at the club next week i realy hope he likes the carved buffet i am doing its quite an amazing buffet the sirloin beef is 20hrs cooked as i the Lamb leg still rare ans juicy marinated for 48hrs b4 cooking.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Hemmings just needs to be moved on just not good enough for our Amazing club we have MP at the club next week i realy hope he likes the carved buffet i am doing its quite an amazing buffet the sirloin beef is 20hrs cooked as i the Lamb leg still rare ans juicy marinated for 48hrs b4 cooking.
MP is vegan! Ha!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I just can't work out what Hemmings is doing? He shows some neat touches on the ball, plays neat passes and can compete physically but he is never in a goalscoring position. What is his position? He seems to have morphed into a midfielder.
It would be useful to move Hemmings out and spend his fairly considerable wages (by our standards) elsewhere. However, I doubt that is possible given the contract he is on.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The standard this season hasn’t been great but we finished 17 points off the play offs so a big gap to shorten next season.
Actually, if we had had just one decent goal poacher who could have given us the lead in the matches we eventually lost 0-1, we might have got those extra 17 points and reached the playoffs. Certainly, one proper striker plus an experienced leader anywhere in the team could have made all the difference.

In my view, we are not too short of having a decent team, although we will probably lose JDC and sell another two or three of our better players.

That said, if we can do an effective job recruiting this summer, I am hopeful of a better season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We definitely have the core of a half decent side. If we can get a decent RB in (or use OConnor), then the back 4 is sorted assuming Bristow stays.

In midfield we’ll hopefully have hawkes, Merrie, Morris, an improved hughes and I’d like hendry to stay.

A keeper, couple of strikers and the odd midfielder and injuries permitting we could have a good season. That said the division will be harder

Player
Manager
John King
I think we also have to consider that there will almost certainly be sales this summer.

I would expect Bristow to be sold, although I am hoping we will keep hold of Hawkes given the paucity of goals in the squad. Dawes does not seem to rate O'Connor much, so I wonder if he will also go.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think we also have to consider that there will almost certainly be sales this summer.

I would expect Bristow to be sold, although I am hoping we will keep hold of Hawkes given the paucity of goals in the squad. Dawes does not seem to rate O'Connor much, so I wonder if he will also go.
I’d be very sorry to see O’Connor go. He is versatile and quite experienced for such a young player. He rarely misses a game through injury. He will certainly get better. He can’t be bad if he has an Irish cap already.

I expect him to stay, although if Merrie re-signs, Hendry joins and Walker gets fit again, he may become surplus.

With all business, you try to predict which way “the market” will go. So you sell a player when he’s at his peak and buy when you think he’ll get better. That’s why I think the sales of Nevitt and Doohan were such good deals. So were the signings of Hawkes and Bristow.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree with RLC that I’m not sure Dawes rates OConnor that highly. Couldn’t believe the header he put wide yesterday and he was I suspect supposed to be picking up Hoskins for the goal.

It may be that if cogley goes then OConnor has the RB slot to try and make his own

ADD

Player
Norwood
I’d be very sorry to see O’Connor go. He is versatile and quite experienced for such a young player. He rarely misses a game through injury. He will certainly get better. He can’t be bad if he has an Irish cap already.

I expect him to stay, although if Merrie re-signs, Hendry joins and Walker gets fit again, he may become surplus.

With all business, you try to predict which way “the market” will go. So you sell a player when he’s at his peak and buy when you think he’ll get better. That’s why I think the sales of Nevitt and Doohan were such good deals. So we’re the signings of Hawkes and Bristow.
Nevitt and Doohan sales were "worldies"given they were both simply not very good. Re O'Connor I understand the versatility angle but he seems to have lost pace for some reason - can't be age and looks too slow to me. Thought he was again disappointing yesterday

Player
Manager
John King
I think we should keep O'Connor, or at the very least replace him with somebody similar, as we have not got another genuine defensive midfielder. He is a good player.

An issue under Dawes has been the lack of protection the midfield gives to the defence, and it is noticeable that Dawes has actually used O'Connor against better opposition (including yesterday) because of this problem.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Nevitt and Doohan sales were "worldies"given they were both simply not very good. Re O'Connor I understand the versatility angle but he seems to have lost pace for some reason - can't be age and looks too slow to me. Thought he was again disappointing yesterday
Yep ive been concerned re O'Connor's form and pace lately. I've always been a fan and did tout him for the defensive midfield role when Spearing was here.
If JDC goes I think Lee could do it, but would be a downgrade. Hopefully they can find another gem instead.
Could be one of the most interesting summers for a while.