• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Cobblers

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Northampton

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Cobblers
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, May 8, 2023 - 12:30 PM
Until: Monday, May 8, 2023 - 02:15 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve started this thread early because it’ll be the last one for a while and with over 6,000 tickets sold so far, and the visitors selling out the cowsheds, it should make for a good atmosphere. With Stockport having a much superior goal difference and a winnable (sold out), home game against already relegated Hartlepool, the pressure will be the Cobblers to beat us which in the event of a Stockport win, is the only outcome that will see them gain automatic promotion. Last season of course they missed out on the last day in dramatic circumstances due to Bristol Rovers 7-0 win and it will be interesting if their failure to make it in the subsequent play offs, is in their mind for Monday and possible deja vu.

Clearly they have decent players. Notably league two player of the season Sam Hoskins who got the award over Andy Cook which seemed a bit harsh on the big man. Everton boss Sean Dyche may be at PP to see his son in action who is at the heart of the cobblers defence.

As for us assuming Saunders isn’t fit then I’m expecting Sam Taylor to start. I’m hopeful it will be the last time we see the likes of Mumbongo and Burton at PP, and hopefully not for the likes of Hawkes and Bristow. It’ll be interesting if Cogley gives any sort of goodbye if he knows he is leaving in the summer. Of course we may well have a new manager by then but unlikely they will make any changes and will presumably let Dawes take the reins (unless of course it is Dawes who gets the job – surely not).

I just hope with the TV cameras present and no pressure we can go for it and give the visitors a good game. The last thing we want is to concede a couple of early goals and its party time for the opposition fans including a possible pitch invasion at full time.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think they will probably just beat us 2 1 but hopefully with a new manager unveiled in time for the game we will put up a decent performance

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
They are clearly a stronger team than us, the table doesn't lie. I would expect that and their added motivation to be enough to deliver a Cobblers' victory. Having said that they wouldn't be the first team to "bottle it". If they fail to go up you'd have to feel sympathy for their fans after the shenanigans of last season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, they should win but then again on that logic so should Leyton Orient so who knows..

I just want the lads to give them a good game, give the home supporters something to cheer and then we can quickly forget this season and look forward in trepidation to next season.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Looking forward to this one and the fact that as you say Sparky they really need to win to make sure of going up. Should be a great atmosphere and a sense of what could have been for us this season. Hopefully we will rise to the occasion and play some decent football.

That they have a lot riding on this game will also mean that should we beat them/ draw with them then those who have questioned every point gained since MM was sacked as being against teams with nothing to play for/ being cannon fodder will hopefully see the performance for what it is.

Going for a 2-2 draw or a narrow 2-1 defeat given we won't be going for it as much as they are to put it mildly!

Will be interesting also yes to see how many players (if any) make it reasonably clear they have played their last game for us. Thinking myself Cogley Bristow, probably Turnbull and maybe even Hemmings are the ones to look out for (of the ones we want to keep/ are under contract I mean).

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
That they have a lot riding on this game will also mean that should we beat them/ draw with them then those who have questioned every point gained since MM was sacked as being against teams with nothing to play for/ being cannon fodder will hopefully see the performance for what it is.
Lol, the performance has not even happened yet.

If Dawes finally manages to beat a decent team following the appointment of a new manager and the issuing of his P45, I will be happy to praise him to the rafters. :)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can't imagine it will be a good atmosphere now and could turn quite ugly

Last edited:

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Just imagine being 4 or 5 down at half time live on sky and the fans riot in the stands could be a very bad day

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, who knows we could be 4 or 5 up!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some tit bits from Dawes pre match.

Looking to bring in more Tom Davies characters suggesting we’ll bring in some more leaders in the summer

Also the director of football will likely be someone very experienced. Wonder if that is someone like Artell but we’ll wait and see

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Some tit bits from Dawes pre match.

Looking to bring in more Tom Davies characters suggesting we’ll bring in some more leaders in the summer

Also the director of football will likely be someone very experienced. Wonder if that is someone like Artell but we’ll wait and see
The key know is the Technical Director as they need to be fairly experienced

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The key know is the Technical Director as they need to be fairly experienced
Got to be someone happy to be part time and a modest wage. Artell for example would want more than Dawes so no chance. Ronnie or Jimmy Harvey more likely, if it ever happens