• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Keith hill and devarn green relegated today. Keith’s record not too great in his time there

Scunthorpe manager Keith Hill, who has seen his side win just two games in the 28 he has taken charge of since November, said he is upset that his side will be playing in the National League next season.
In fairness to Hill, he had no chance at Scunthorpe because of the financial situation there. They have got Conference North standard players.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Norwood, Donacien and Iheikwe in the live sky game, Norwood missed absolute sitter

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Was it a one-on-one? :sneaky:
Will be interesting if Nors gets a new deal as started the last two games for the tractor boys and goals to game ratio this season isn’t bad, despite off field issues

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Feeney was finished. We shouldnt have kept him for another year. Another poor recruitment decision imo

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Feeney was finished. We shouldnt have kept him for another year. Another poor recruitment decision imo
Indeed. I always think of the three Ms - Maguire, mcmanaman and Mani but there are others like Feeney, loanees like Walker. Others like Ryan Watson and Mark Duffy that just didn’t work out. Some did work of course eg cogley, OConnor but too many have been failed signings

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Indeed. I always think of the three Ms - Maguire, mcmanaman and Mani but there are others like Feeney, loanees like Walker. Others like Ryan Watson and Mark Duffy that just didn’t work out. Some did work of course eg cogley, OConnor but too many have been failed signings
To be fair Walker never got a look in, something that Micky has done far too often

Player
Manager
John King
To be fair Walker never got a look in, something that Micky has done far too often
However, the players we recruit need to be good enough to get a look in, and should actually be wanted by Mellon in the first place. In a number of instances - Maguire, Mani, Walker - that obviously was not the case.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
However, the players we recruit need to be good enough to get a look in, and should actually be wanted by Mellon in the first place. In a number of instances - Maguire, Mani, Walker - that obviously was not the case.
Mani or similar was wanted by Micky to play as a lone striker until McNulty joined, helping teammates get used to that to playing wit it. Took a while after that for Micky to get just how poor Mani was.

Maguire and Walker harder to call Wallker looked to have some potential in the Pizza Cup games and maybe deserved more opportunity.

Player
Manager
John King
Mani or similar was wanted by Micky to play as a lone striker until McNulty joined, helping teammates get used to that to playing wit it. Took a while after that for Micky to get just how poor Mani was.

Maguire and Walker harder to call Wallker looked to have some potential in the Pizza Cup games and maybe deserved more opportunity.
If you read Mellon's comments when Mani and Maguire were signed it was clear that he was lukewarm at best about both players.

Having to accept Mani because McNulty had not arrived, is not the same as actually wanting him.

Walker's attitude was questioned when he was on loan at Crewe a couple of years ago. As much as Mellon is fallible, I do think he sets high standards in terms of workrate in training, which I think is why Walker fell by the wayside.

Player
Manager
John King
Jacko gets a point in his first game in charge at West Ham, which is actually a decent result for Burnley.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If you read Mellon's comments when Mani and Maguire were signed it was clear that he was lukewarm at best about both players.

Having to accept Mani because McNulty had not arrived, is not the same as actually wanting him.

Walker's attitude was questioned when he was on loan at Crewe a couple of years ago. As much as Mellon is fallible, I do think he sets high standards in terms of workrate in training, which I think is why Walker fell by the wayside.
Mellon sounded relatively keen about Maguire when we signed him, though the little we’ve seen of him in action makes me understand Micky’s reservations. On Mani, I broadly agree. Rob Edwards one of the o/s commentary pundits suggested that there was little evidence supporting the issues raised about Walker’s attitude and it was more a question of Micky not wanting him for footballing reasons..

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Mellon sounded relatively keen about Maguire when we signed him, though the little we’ve seen of him in action makes me understand Micky’s reservations. On Mani, I broadly agree. Rob Edwards one of the o/s commentary pundits suggested that there was little evidence supporting the issues raised about Walker’s attitude and it was more a question of Micky not wanting him for footballing reasons..
Walker did not look great when he played anyway, aside from a nice finish against Salford in the Pizza Trophy. I trust Mellon's judgement, and I am not sure Edwards is the fount of all knowledge.....

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Walker did not look great when he played anyway, aside from a nice finish against Salford in the Pizza Trophy. I trust Mellon's judgement, and I am not sure Edwards is the fount of all knowledge.....
Think it’s more a case of players not being picked because Micky doesn’t fancy them for whatever reason rather than purely attitude issues. While you may be right about Rob Edwards he’s likely to know more than either of us.

Player
Manager
John King
Think it’s more a case of players not being picked because Micky doesn’t fancy them for whatever reason rather than purely attitude issues. While you may be right about Rob Edwards he’s likely to know more than either of us.
My point re. Rob Edwards is that he might know if a player is not turning up for training, but he does not know Mellon's innermost thoughts on every player. If Walker is not showing the intensity and competitiveness in training Mellon wants, he won't select him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
All we can do is trust Micky as he sees the players every day. I agree that I can imagine on the training ground he has high standards. I always remember cookie losing a few pounds after he was told he needed to do more. If the likes of Walker,Maguire haven’t featured then you can only assume it’s a mixture of ability and attitude. Whereas someone like merrie has probably done ok but is unlucky he’s been behind spearing,
OConnor etc in midfield and McDonald at LB
Either way, all we can do is trust the manager to make the right decisions