• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Not having a good time! Mind you, not sure how much he'll miss the Range Rover...

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What a game this is turning out to be. Can’t compare but makes me wonder whether challinor would have been a better bet than Micky. Stockport so attacking and exciting to watch. The opposite of us in recent games.
Trust in Micky though to turn us around

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
What a game this is turning out to be. Can’t compare but makes me wonder whether challinor would have been a better bet than Micky. Stockport so attacking and exciting to watch. The opposite of us in recent games.
Trust in Micky though to turn us around
Mellon has done plenty for us in cup ties. The difference is they have Quigley and Madden up front so they can afford to be cavalier, plus they have got nothing to lose tonight.

I love the way Dave 'Mr Loyalty' Challinor is now the saviour we never had. Mellon's career record is better and he is the right man for this club.

An incredible cup tie though, as good as you will see, and it is nice to see Bolton being humiliated.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree it’s good to see Bolton losing. No one is saying challinor is the saviour and as I said, I trust in Micky.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great to see Connor on the TV. It’ll be a challenge for him to get back into their team when they have Rooney and Sarcevic as number tens

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good old enjoyable cup tie.

drwhoman

Five goals after being 2-0 down after five minutes. Oh for a decent finisher at Rovers. They must be paying Quigley a heap! very jealous!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think it’s understandable that we are envious of the attacking players at Stockport’s disposal by comparison with our own threadbare strike force. Hard to evaluate the relative merits of MM and DC. Micky’s undoubtedly the more successful manager to date, but suspect Challinor might set us up to play more adventurously.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If Micky had stayed at Dundee United, I’d have been delighted for Dave to come back to Rovers. I expect he may return one day. Undoubtedly, he is one of the best lower league managers and still has ambition. However, Stockport County are no ordinary NL side. They are well financed and can afford players out of reach to us. Also, you can’t judge a manager entirely on his cup record, as we’ve seen with Aldo. Let’s see if he can get County back into the league. Until then, Micky has a far better record than Dave.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If Micky had stayed at Dundee United, I’d have been delighted for Dave to come back to Rovers. I expect he may return one day. Undoubtedly, he is one of the best lower league managers and still has ambition. However, Stockport County are no ordinary NL side. They are well financed and can afford players out of reach to us. Also, you can’t judge a manager entirely on his cup record, as we’ve seen with Aldo. Let’s see if he can get County back into the league. Until then, Micky has a far better record than Dave.
Very true BBTC. Challinor was also fairly well backed at fylde so no surprise he did well there although they have slipped backwards. He did a good job at Hartlepool but as bigmart points out Stockport have several good earners and probably gave Connor a decent salary when he signed. Challinor too of course will be on decent money for that level

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The reality is there are a few NL teams who are backed much more strongly than Rovers. Wouldn’t want to be fighting to get out of that level now.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Orient may seem a bad cup draw but after seeing the match last night I'm very glad we avoided Stockport! A very enjoyable match and, apart from the excellent football, I was amazed by the quality they brought on from the bench. Good luck to them in getting out of the NL. I can't believe they are currently 11th; I know there is some quality (and money) in there but I can't believe there are 10 better teams!

Player
aldo
that was a great watch seeing some of the balls they got in the box some of our lads could learn a thing or two watching it.and have to agree glad we have avoided them

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Very true BBTC. Challinor was also fairly well backed at fylde so no surprise he did well there although they have slipped backwards. He did a good job at Hartlepool but as bigmart points out Stockport have several good earners and probably gave Connor a decent salary when he signed. Challinor too of course will be on decent money for that level
Challinor was heavily backed at Fylde but was fired when they were in the bottom half of the National League. A promising manager, yes, but not the genius some people make him out to be.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Challinor would indeed have been an excellent choice. He was also reportedly desperate for the role. Think he would definitely have got the job other than for the fact that MM suddenly and unexpectedly became available again. We are where we are however.
I do 100% agree with Boz that Challinor would be playing a style of play more entertaining than we are right now however. Whether that would be bringing us better results or not though we will never know.