• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hill did not play Nugent every game after we lost Vaughan, used Lewis as a striker on occasion. I don’t think we stuck with the same team throughout the post Vaughan spell which I agree was dismal. Micky has more attacking options now than were available to Hill but thus far has chosen not to use them in recent FL games.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Hill did not play Nugent every game after we lost Vaughan, used Lewis as a striker on occasion
Well, I don't think Mellon should be following tactical masterstrokes like those....

Micky has mixed up the personnel in recent weeks, playing Watson, Mani, O'Connor and Duffy at times, so he has not been totally rigid in approach.

Player
Manager
John King
Micky has more attacking options now than were available to Hill but thus far has chosen not to use them in recent FL games.
Debatable, but if that is the case, it is purely because Hill binned most of his options in the January transfer window (Payne, Smith, Ferrier) and replaced them with dross.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Well, I don't think Mellon should be following tactical masterstrokes like those....

Micky has mixed up the personnel in recent weeks, playing Watson, Mani, O'Connor and Duffy at times, so he has not been totally rigid in approach.
I still feel Micky hasn’t made the best use of his squad so far, weak though it is in certain aspects. Think we’ll have to agree to differ.

Player
Manager
John King
I still feel Micky hasn’t made the best use of his squad so far, weak though it is in certain aspects. Think we’ll have to agree to differ.
Yes, we will. I ultimately trust Mellon's judgement, not least because he is party to a great deal of information which outside observers don't have.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Stratulis joins Marine on 1 month loan and starts.

Last edited:
Paul Carden has left NPL side Warrington to take over as boss of Telford in VNL North. A better level for him to attract loanees and ex-players from us! Although Telford are rock bottom of the league at the moment.

Player
Manager
John King
He was not the most stylish Rovers right back but Stan Storton (66-70) was a very successful Manager of Telford who he guided to the fifth round of the FA Cup in 1985 when they lost 3-0 to Everton who were then, but not now, a power in the land.
I remember that well. I think we had knocked Telford out of the cup a couple of years earlier in one of the early rounds.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I remember that well. I think we had knocked Telford out of the cup a couple of years earlier in one of the early rounds.
I was at the match; a full house if I remember correctly. It was a marvelous Everton team that season, probably the best football I've watched. It shows how much admission prices have changed that I could afford to watch both Rovers and Everton that season on a student grant!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Paul Carden has left NPL side Warrington to take over as boss of Telford in VNL North. A better level for him to attract loanees and ex-players from us! Although Telford are rock bottom of the league at the moment.

Jay Harris to take over at Warrington in a temporary coaching role I wonder

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Stan Storton was a useful player. His brother Trevor came through our youth scheme and was bought by Liverpool but only played a few times before moving to Chester.

drwhoman

Stan Storton was a useful player. His brother Trevor came through our youth scheme and was bought by Liverpool but only played a few times before moving to Chester.
Trevor never quite made it at Liverpool, when they were in transition post Shankly but, as you say BBTC, he had a very successful ten years at Chester. The 70s were a good decade for them. I have discovered that sadly he died of cancer in 2011 at the age of 61. Stan is now 82. How time flies!