• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers old boys

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
As KTF says very tragic news about Gary Stevens’ young lad. In my thoughts at this difficult time.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Challinor would indeed have been an excellent choice. He was also reportedly desperate for the role. Think he would definitely have got the job other than for the fact that MM suddenly and unexpectedly became available again. We are where we are however.
I do 100% agree with Boz that Challinor would be playing a style of play more entertaining than we are right now however. Whether that would be bringing us better results or not though we will never know.
I doubt Palios ever preferred Challinor to Mellon.

There was no shortage of entertainment value in our last Football League promotion under Mellon, something Challinor has never achieved. In fact, he has only managed at this level for three months.

Challinor would be left with the same striking options as Mellon, so there is no evidence the football would be any more expansive. Mellon's previous teams were entertaining, because he had the attacking options that made that kind of football possible.

drwhoman

I doubt Palios ever preferred Challinor to Mellon.

There was no shortage of entertainment value in our last Football League promotion under Mellon, something Challinor has never achieved. In fact, he has only managed at this level for three months.

Challinor would be left with the same striking options as Mellon, so there is no evidence the football would be any more expansive. Mellon's previous teams were entertaining, because he had the attacking options that made that kind of football possible.
Fair comment RLC. However, the fact remains that without any decent young players coming through it is going to take a huge effort from MM to get us promoted. It seems that we simply cannot attract, in particular, the required quality of strikers, presumably for financial reasons. We can all look to January again but that requires us to beat Orient and to get a good Third Round draw. Without more money the transfer market will not be improved, in fact it might be even worse given that good players are rarely available on the cheap in mid season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Corey Blackett-Taylor extends contract at Charlton till summer 2023

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Corey Blackett-Taylor extends contract at Charlton till summer 2023
Interesting as he’s hardly featured of late apart from the odd appearance off the bench. Maybe the change in manager has persuaded him to stay

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
However, the fact remains that without any decent young players coming through it is going to take a huge effort from MM to get us promoted
I don’t think we go anywhere near promotion with this current setup. It’s is not young, pacey or simply good enough at the moment. Mid table fodder for me.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Totally realistic Ian. The evidence is there for all to see, well to most without rose coloured glasses.

Player
Manager
John King
I don’t think we go anywhere near promotion with this current setup. It’s is not young, pacey or simply good enough at the moment. Mid table fodder for me.
Mid table is not a disaster though, and certainly not a sackable offence for the manager as some seem to believe........

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mid table is not a disaster though, and certainly not a sackable offence for the manager as some seem to believe........
I wonder what Palios’s expectations are and what Mellon has been told. What do they think constitutes success?
The trouble is that nearly all the team will be out of contract in June and many may decide to move on, especially if we don’t go up. This would leave Micky starting again from scratch with another rebuilding job with probably the same budget. The only hope is that we get an injection of new cash from somewhere to pay for better players.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I guess it depends on what the identified outcomes/expectations were when he was offered the role. Any decisions about a mid-table finish being a sackable offence or not would be down to MP‘s discretion. I do doubt it would happen though as I feel Micky is still in credit (well, at least with some, even if it is small change with a proportion of them).
Some would have said a play-off position was not a sackable offence, but it happened; I guess there’s more to any decision than just league position alone, with the dynamics of the relationships with players and fans being part of the equation. Football is a ruthless game, particularly at management level and I’m not sure if sentiment can be allowed to taint any judgement. If we finish mid-table, so be it and I’d be okay with Micky still at the helm with the caveat we see positive progression on the pitch next season; to qualify that from my perspective, play-off position and a more cavalier approach. Others may have a different perspective on what they view as “progression”. If we don’t aspire to better things or to repeat success, I kinda don’t see the point; of course, the realist in me says you can’t always get what you want………we can but dream!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would have been disappointed with anything but a top six finish but that was before the disastrous recruitment over the summer. Now I see mid-table as realistic which for Tranmere I believe is not good enough. I'm not blaming the manager either, I'm blaming the recruitment process and whoever was in charge at the time.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A few things to address further here.

Challinor's teams that I've seen in the past and this season seem to be set up to have a go. I'm not certain that he would get better results in the short term, because of the lack of quality in our forward line, but if we've made more effort to attack, then the crowd may be more forgiving, having seen a decent game of football, even if the team ultimately fall short. When we set up and play as negatively as we did v Sutton, off the back of a couple of league defeats and after an alternative option was shown in the Oldham Pizza Cup game, then there will be much less tolerance shown when we don't get something out of the game. You can't expect quality defending every match. The last two home league defeats have been really poor to watch. While Northampton looked a fairly decent team, Sutton seemed more mid-table fare and setting up to contain them and hope for a moment of magic and no defensive howlers seemed both too cautious and optimistic.

I agree that the summer recruitment was appalling and Micky's role in that seems to have been limited. The team is lacking both in attacking fire-power and any pace, yet we persist playing with one-up, a non-scoring rookie striker and haven't even given the only forward with any pace (Walker) a place on the bench. Meanwhile Feeney, who many on here thought was lucky to get a deal with Rovers gets regular game time and Mcmanaman, despite some indifferent, verging on disinterested performances is a regular starter. Micky needs to shake some out of their complacency and make use of all the squad, we are playing nowhere near well enough for the first team line-up to be virtually a closed shop.

At the start of the season, my thought was this was a squad capable of making the play-offs, probably better if we recruited a decent striker. Unusually for me, that assessment was way too optimistic and I now feel mid table is as good as it gets, fear there is a danger, where some of the better players to be missing, that we flirt with relegation. Reality is needed about the transfer window, it's unlikely that we'll bring in a striker that transforms our attack and it's unrealistic to expect we beat Orient and get a decent cup draw as the strategy for squad improvement. MM has a history of turning round sluggish starts during his time with us, but can that be achieved with a much more limited infusion of new blood?

I doubt that anyone at the club would admit that mid-table was an acceptable finish, but wouldn't think that was a sackable offence by any stretch. What might be is a continuation of the negative football and losing at home, because as we saw with Hill the Palioi took action when they saw how big the disconnect was, with season card renewals at stake.

Player
Manager
John King
Mellon has been just as adventurous in the past as Challinor allegedly is, but you need the right balance in the squad to play that way. We lack pace and finishing ability.

Despite the absence of an even remotely reasonable striker, Mellon has produced mid table form this season. That is actually quite an achievement when you consider the relegation form Hill served up once Vaughan got injured last season. There is no comparison between the performances of the two managers - Vaughan's brilliance hid a multitude of sins last season.

drwhoman

Mellon has been just as adventurous in the past as Challinor allegedly is, but you need the right balance in the squad to play that way. We lack pace and finishing ability.

Despite the absence of an even remotely reasonable striker, Mellon has produced mid table form this season. That is actually quite an achievement when you consider the relegation form Hill served up once Vaughan got injured last season. There is no comparison between the performances of the two managers - Vaughan's brilliance hid a multitude of sins last season.
Fair comment RLC. Vaughan was so important last year and it is such a shame that he had to retire. Mid table is all we can expect on the current budget unless we generate some FA Cup cash. We simply cannot compete with clubs with more money. Cash is so important for players given how short a player career is. You cannot blame the likes of Mullin and Quigley who are prepared to drop a level or more for a good contract, frustrating though it might be. Neither of the players I mention are world beaters but they have more to offer than our current ' attacking' force!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

I agree re Vaughan. The performances an approach in the last two home league games (and I gather Mansfield was no better) have been almost as bad as those under Hill after Vaughan's injury. Hill did at least shuffle the pack a bit to try and improve things, something I feel Micky should be considering.
Fair comment RLC. Vaughan was so important last year and it is such a shame that he had to retire. Mid table is all we can expect on the current budget unless we generate some FA Cup cash. We simply cannot compete with clubs with more money. Cash is so important for players given how short a player career is. You cannot blame the likes of Mullin and Quigley who are prepared to drop a level or more for a good contract, frustrating though it might be. Neither of the players I mention are world beaters but they have more to offer than our current ' attacking' force!

Don't disagree, but only notlob of the teams promoted had spent significant money, while Cambridge got Mullin from us on a free.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Clint Hill follows Dave Challinor to Stockport as assistant manager

Player
Manager
John King
I agree re Vaughan. The performances an approach in the last two home league games (and I gather Mansfield was no better) have been almost as bad as those under Hill after Vaughan's injury. Hill did at least shuffle the pack a bit to try and improve things, something I feel Micky should be considering.
Hill did not shuffle the pack at all. He only made changes for the final game when he had fallen out with half of the squad, and the club was having a collective nervous breakdown.

Hill's atrocious run lasted fifteen games, Mellon's poor run has lasted three. No comparison, and the evidence of last season suggests we would not be in mid table if Hill was managing the current squad, with the absence of any reasonable striker.