• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Sutton (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Sutton

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Sutton (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 2, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 2, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Brad Walker turning into a bit of enigma. Wasn’t great today and same at FGR. Took off for Merrie which made me think how many times has Walker played a full 90? He’s under contract for next season so we’ll have to make do but we can’t afford part time players.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Chat soon doing a private house dinning just arrived great win we need a few more

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Brad Walker turning into a bit of enigma. Wasn’t great today and same at FGR. Took off for Merrie which made me think how many times has Walker played a full 90? He’s under contract for next season so we’ll have to make do but we can’t afford part time players.
Hendry was also poor today. He just is not physical enough for that sort of game and is probably better suited to playing in a midfield three.

The centre of midfield remains a problem for us, as the other options - Lewis, McAlear, Hughes - are not good enough.

I still think Merrie is ok as a squad player, certainly better than McAlear.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I agree Merrie worth a new deal. Decent on his day in the middle, still a good age and can play at LB too.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting post match the Sutton manager said they’d worked on Jennings penalties and knew he likes to go down the middle.

Didn’t matter in the end but will be interesting who takes our next one

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Stickman

Player
Aldo
Interesting that several people have suggested it was a poor game. Have to say, I've seen far worse from us. The stats suggest it wasn't that bad!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There were good chances created by both teams but Sutton just make it ugly.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Robbie’s goal means he’s on nine goals for the season, level with Kieran. Connor leads on 11. With ten more games to go there is every chance we will have three players in double figures by the end of the season. There might even be four if Josh Hawkes gets enough time to add to his six. I can’t remember the last time this happened, certainly in the EFL.

The irony is that Micky was asked to provide “goals, goals” with a squad of his own choosing (largely) but failed. Nigel inherited an unbalanced squad which is producing goals galore - even at both ends! None of the four players I mentioned are recognised strikers. The ones we thought would do the business (Dennis and Norris) have hardly featured. Football certainly is a funny game. You just can’t predict what is going to happen.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There were not as many goal threats in Mellon's squad as Apter and Jennings, to name two, were not here.

I would argue the squad last season was weaker than this one, but Mellon still kept us well clear of any relegation trouble. That squad was not simply of Mellon's own choosing, as Palios has explained publicly when discussing our recruitment process. There was a lack of experience and emphasis on 'development' which would never have been Mellon's preference.

I think events this season have emphasised what a solid job Mellon did in the previous two years.

Last edited:

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Morning all that was a good night i had. Great win even if ut was an ugly one. What is going on with Dennis do you think he will be with us next season. Glad they are going slow with Norris no point rushing him back. As for scorers yea can't remember having so many spread around but isn't it great having loads of players adding goals from all over looking forward to seeing a nigel adkins tranmere next season when he might have some of his own players in the club

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mellon had to work with the likes of Mumbongo and Burton.
Enough said. Hindsight is wonderful but looking back Micky did a decent job with the tools at his disposal.

He must have been scratching his head when he saw we’d invested in the likes of Norris and Dennis plus Apter on loan when you see what Micky had to live with.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My last post was not meant to be critical of Micky. I agree he was dealt a poor hand and forced to play a different game with his cards. My point was to emphasise what a great job Nigel has done in harnessing his resources. He has quantity but not much quality. And some of his quality is not fit. It would have been interesting to see what Micky would have done with this season’s squad but we’ll never know and it doesn’t really matter.

I’m delighted we’ve got Nigel and pleased that Micky got work soon. He has a tough job, but he’s never had it easy and usually manages to succeed. I wish him well in the bear pit of the National League.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
When we had inexperienced managers like Jackson/Dawes, then there seemed to be more funds to put into the playing side. However it did not work and experienced managers are more costly.
I think Micky would have probably got us promoted with the Mike Jackson squad. He’d certainly have done better than Dawes with this squad, but so would Adkins had he been managing us from
the start of this season. Interesting to speculate but I’ve no idea who of the pair would have done best with a full season of the current squad.

drwhoman

Either would have done a good job from the start of the season with a fit Norris and Apter. As has been said, we would be in a much darker place without the latter. We have been very lucky. I know that we all hope that we see more quality than quantity in this summer transfer window. I am sure that Nigel will be quite discerning particularly given the financial constraints. That said, keeping the better players in the current squad will also be very important. I would hope that Nigel’s positive qualities will be recognised by those players and that they will not simply bail out for more money. Time will tell!

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I have to agree with all of you with whats being said mm got a crap hand and paid the price the reason they prob spent a little bit more last summer you would think Daws was not on a great deal but who knows. Really hope Nigel is allowed to get his own players in but we know what palios is like.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
When we had inexperienced managers like Jackson/Dawes, then there seemed to be more funds to put into the playing side. However it did not work and experienced managers are more costly.
I think Micky would have probably got us promoted with the Mike Jackson squad. He’d certainly have done better than Dawes with this squad, but so would Adkins had he been managing us from
the start of this season. Interesting to speculate but I’ve no idea who of the pair would have done best with a full season of the current squad.
We've never had a period where you just don't know who recruited and how much the manager agreed with it. Maynard came at the end of August as no one offered him more, he never got going for us. We ended up with the novice Nevitt up top alone shipping long balls to little avail. By the time Hemmings arrived Nevitt had been downsized and was even weaker. They were both bullied and shirts shredded, rendering them next to useless.
Who thought speedy Saunders was the answer alongside the classically trained channel runner in Hemmings? Because he wasn't whereas a Norris could spark off all three players previously named.
Did Mellon go along with this or did he object. He let Nevitt go, Dawes Hemmings and both are playing at a higher level. Crewe are real contenders now.
I'd guess the answer is somewhere between, suffered interference but not blameless.
Saunders brings real pace and that can hurt. Frankly Jolley and Dennis are less use currently than Norris with a significant limp. Nigel needs to lose a dozen bring in 6 or so and that includes 3 first choice improvements.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No player in Europes top 5 leagues (Premier League, LaLiga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A) and the EFL have won more penalties this season than Harvey Saunders (4)

The only player to equal his total is Sunderland’s Jack Clarke (4)

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
No player in Europes top 5 leagues (Premier League, LaLiga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A) and the EFL have won more penalties this season than Harvey Saunders (4)

The only player to equal his total is Sunderland’s Jack Clarke (4)
The spirit of Franny Lee lives on! Wouldn't have thought Harvey has had that many minutes either