• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Sutton (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Sutton

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Sutton (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 2, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 2, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Surely a winnable game this Saturday as our overall home record remains decent, and Sutton have the worst away record in the league (guess who has the second worst!). That said our overall form is poor and Sutton had an excellent midweek 4-3 away win albeit at a Notts County side dropping like a stone. You wonder with games running out perhaps Sutton who most people have written off are just going for it in games which might make Saturday more open. Sutton are actually only 4 points from safety albeit Grimsby have a few games in hand, however they can still catch FGR and Colchester.
Up front sutton have the giant harry smith who has 11 league goals this season although I think omari Patrick is injured

Either way with much tougher games to come e.g. Gillingham, Mansfield and Wrexham, we really need 3 points. Not just to maintain the gap from the bottom two (I’m still 99% sure we won’t go down), but to try and increase morale after two dismal trips to the South West. Plus the fact that the mood is not great in the terraces at present with criticism of both the owner and the manager on the increase. The latter perhaps less so but like every manager he’ll be judged on results and of late they have not been good enough overall. In fact in the last 6 games form guide we sit 21st with 4 points from the last 18 available. Whilst some might say we have little to play for at present (a bit like this time last season), the club need to retain season ticket holders and also try and show certain players who we’d want to keep, e.g. Turnbull, LOC that it is worth staying around next season.

As for team selection this will depend on the fitness of the likes of Walker, Morris and CJ. If all are available then I’d expect all to start along with Wood who will surely replace Norris at LB if fit. Connor starting may also impact on whether Luke Norris starts again plus there is an argument for Saunders to start up top given his pace as neither Jennings or Norris are quick. Or if Morris not ready is it worth playing Connor on the left and Saunders/Norris up front. I’d quite like to see Dennis and Norris. Plenty of decisions for Nigel to make.

Prediction: A narrow home win. A defeat against lets face it, currently the worst side in the division albeit who have lost the same number of league games as us, would be hard to take.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel typically positive pre match. Lots of management type speak but basically says the process is going well because at FGR for example we had 34 crosses and 20 shots and lots of opposition managers say we’re hard to play against!!

I must be missing something!

31 players available for selection so I’m expecting the 5 players ‘rested’ for Swindon to return.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m expecting one or two changes from FGR. Luke Norris may be preferred upfront. If so, I expect Connor to be accommodated left of midfield. From the Swindon reports, I don’t expect any other changes. Out of a squad big enough to field three different teams, I get the impression that only 16 or so tick enough of Nigel’s boxes.

As another poster said, the result depends on which Rovers team turn up. On form, Sutton might be considered favourites, but most of our results have gone against expectation.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Home form is generally good so I think we'll win this one with a couple of rested players coming back. I think Sutton will be fighting for everything so could be tougher than expected.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I'm sitting on the fence after @Ian's advice on Tuesday.
So a draw for me.
But as always, these games are never cut and dried. We usually never do well playing bottom teams.
I do hope we see Connor and Norris as our attacking options. And Walker back in midfield.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'm hoping that the team can forget the away defeats and perform as they did at PP against Stockport. Comfortable 3-0 win for me!

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I got to the point I could guess nearly the entire teamsheet. If I had gone the bookies on Tuesday I'd have been wiped out!
Nigel clearly preferred the eleven he kept selecting, FGR was no train crash well bar injuries and a super strike. I cannot see how he will veer from that eleven with Norris now for Saunders. Fact is Saunders can come on for either wings or indeed Jennings. Problem is Norris won't last and we have no like for like.
Hawkes is an issue his coming on roles have been so so, but his start was very poor. I'd like to see Taylor coming on more, probably disappear again! Lewis played well to his strengths but he just doesn't offer us much.
Jennings is no longer a wide man at all but he could drop into midfield and allow a different player going off. You still have the issue of one Norris not none and up to four playing off him.
If that wasn't an injury driven team, then Nigel needs to get someone doing his plans because it was a most non-cunning one!!!

Given the opposition it probably won’t be pretty.

Norris’ physicality and hold-up/link play could be very handy against these.

We’ve still got a soft centre that only Walker’s inclusion seems able to mitigate with any reasonable degree of consistency. So hopefully he’s back.

Anything less than three points will be a big disappointment. But with those two in the side I’d expect a win and, with a fair wind, by more than a one goal margin. I’ll go for 2-0 or 3-1.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sutton’s new manager has made them harder to beat. Probably unable to do enough to save them from relegation but they won’t go down without a fight and will have tails up after their midweek win.

The second half of both FGR and Swindon games was very poor for Rovers. I’m not convinced that reverting to Nigel’s favourite line up but bringing Norris in will be enough to get the win.

Reactions: Ian

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Given the opposition it probably won’t be pretty.

Norris’ physicality and hold-up/link play could be very handy against these.

We’ve still got a soft centre that only Walker’s inclusion seems able to mitigate with any reasonable degree of consistency. So hopefully he’s back.

Anything less than three points will be a big disappointment. But with those two in the side I’d expect a win and, with a fair wind, by more than a one goal margin. I’ll go for 2-0 or 3-1.
Oh great another dark arts job. A draw might suit them and would make us out if their reach. Early goal might open it up

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It will be interesting to see who Adkins selects up front.

I don't think Jennings and Norris are a natural partnership, but Connor clearly won't be dropped, so does he drop back to the left of midfield in place of Morris ? Or does Norris go back to the bench and play a cameo role ? There is plenty for Nigel to ponder.

I think we will win the game to effectively guarantee safety. Anything other than a victory would leave us in a tricky situation, if you consider the difficulty of our upcoming fixtures.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Norris is clearly the best forward we have but I still think it’s best not to rush it. Maybe select Jennings from the start with the option to bring him on if things are going south. I have a feeling Adkins will start him though.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Norris is clearly the best forward we have but I still think it’s best not to rush it. Maybe select Jennings from the start with the option to bring him on if things are going south. I have a feeling Adkins will start him though.
I thought he maybe rested Tuesday and he started. I'd guess he will start with Jennings in his best role behind, as near as we can get with his prime Nors partnership. As you suggest Norris won't last 90

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Really raining hard and cold.
Will put a few off I think.
Connor will start but will Nigel risk Norris if it's a bit wet?

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
One of the least attractive fixtures of the season, not much to play for, not going to get above 4 degrees, raining and I’m still going. With all that in mind, my wife said I must be mad; I had to clarify with her that supporting Tranmere regardless, is the real madness!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Walker back in, Jennings and Saunders up top. Norris on bench.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Odd to not start Norris. Only one forward one singer on bench where your impacts come from. Lewis over mcalear odd also

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Changes as expected. Re Norris I suspect with tough games coming up we need to win today and we can’t afford anyone rusty. Let’s hope we’re 3-0 up at half time and big Luke can come on and get some minutes.
Morris if fit was always going to start as he’s second top scorer so Connor J needs to be up top and Saunders can be a nuisance.