• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Sutton (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Sutton

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Sutton (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 2, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 2, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting selection on the bench with no McAlear or James Norris. I’m in Scotland and missing this but not confident of the outcome.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not the best of games of football so far, plenty of huff and puff but not great deal of quality

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Referee is a joke. We should have 2 pens for handball.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Thought their goal was good. Can't push a lads head into ground esp retaliating to a non foul. Liner must have seen the save. Even got injury time wrong

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ref has been poor but we’ve not been much better.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Seem to be picking up a lot of bookings. Wouldn’t fancy Rovers playing with only ten men

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think they are all for dissent too.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not the best of games but a vital win which all but confirms our place in league 2 next season, a poor season but considering how it started it could have been a lot worse.
Apter is a game changer, he has pace, skill with an end product and has been vital for us. Mcgee made a couple of good saves. When the penalty was missed I thought it would end 0 0 but made up we won

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Unfortunately there's no chance we will sign him permanently, he's signed a new improved contract and will be with them for several years.
If they go up? They didn't see any role for him this season which is surprising, but maybe indicative of the standard gap.

On top of more blunders of sheer vision, the Ref failed to book the professional foul of dragging Saunders to the ground for the penalty. Worst Ref in years

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, let’s just take the three points but it was a game to forget. Sutton made it tricky with their physical play and it made a scrappy game although we did open them up more in the second half.

Regarding Apter, obviously he won’t be here next season but that is the kind of quality we need to finish off games. I’m not sure we are capable of getting it.

It’s all pretty mundane without his spark.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think with apter our only chance is Blackpool go up to the championship and don’t need him. One reason he signed a new deal was to help Blackpool get a better fee for him. Doubt we’ll be able to afford him though and some of league 2 big hitters who don’t go up this year may try and sign him.

Anyhow a deserved three points in the end as their keeper was very good. Our finishing was poor though with apter hitting shots straight at the keeper and Connor missing the penalty.
We kept going though and apter who was exhausted still had the ability to find the net.

Slightly worrying we took so long to beat the team with the worst away record in the league but a win is a win.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
24 shots with 13 on target. Probably the best stats we’ve had this season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not a convincing performance but a vital three points.

I thought we were poor in the first half. Sutton came here for a scrap and unfortunately we descended to their level, with only a few coherent passages of play. The first twenty minutes of the second half were a lot better, and we forced their keeper into several decent saves. However, as at Forest Green last week I thought the substitutions disrupted us and allowed Sutton back into the game. There was no threat in behind with Norris and Jennings up front and Saunders was less effective stuck out wide. Perhaps Adkins does not realise that Jennings can also do a job on the left of midfield.

As it transpired, the tactical niceties were irrelevant as Apter again produced a moment of quality to win the game. However, I would not want to contemplate how many points we would have this season without his goals and assists.

I thought Jennings and Davies were our best players today.

The victory effectively secures our safety, but we simply have to offer more next season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It was interesting that Merrie was preferred to McAlear on the bench today, and James Norris and Jolley were nowhere to be seen. Perhaps Adkins has now made decisions on a few players.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
An awful game despite the stats. Awful weather, very cold in the stand.
Two poor teams.
I would buy Apter and build a team around him, but that goes against the boards usual decisions and financial situation.
A win is a win, season well and truly over.