• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Doncaster Rovers (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Doncaster

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Doncaster Rovers (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, October 20, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, October 20, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We are truly hopeless. At both ends of the pitch

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Apter does well and pulls the ball back but with only one central striker playing no one gets on the end of it

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Apter on fire and sets up Jennings to make it 2-1. Game on

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Adkins out palios out this is just not good enough for this club both are clowns again so glad i did not bother tonight

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Apter done more in 5 minutes than Hawkes and Saunders combined, need constantly get him the ball as they look weak at the back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Much better now but we were poor for 70 minutes

Player
Goodison
Desperately need a manager, someone to fire fight us out of trouble, so desperate I’d take Ronnie Moore at this point.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Poor poor poor and bet Nigel goes on about the Last 20 mins and moving fkn boulders the biggest boulders to mobe are this formation that doesn't work and a chairman who looks like they have given up

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Thought there were lots of signs of progress there frankly. Saunders has to be given his left foot to go outside, Hawkes is just making bad decisions. Apter as suspected has some potential. Not sure how taking Morris off, you classiest player who can produce a goal from nowhere, is a good idea note the missed openings! Still puzzled how Taylor who could be better than all of them doesn't get a look in now.
The second goal summed our luck up, a tussle, Turnbull gets a poke at it but it hits the striker as he is moving forwards creating a one on one- cool finish btw. Dennis has a similar opening and fell over.
You can't form opinions just on outcomes, this is still miles better than Dawes and in the long run may have more going forward than under Mellon. Having two wide joining the attack still gets undermined by the fact the central man is unsuited. Mellon's plan was to have two forwards of that ilk.
Think I would bring Morris back in then start as we finished. The left back issue continues, maybe the reason he won't risk moving LOC. Where the hell is Norris?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thought there were lots of signs of progress there frankly. Saunders has to be given his left foot to go outside, Hawkes is just making bad decisions. Apter as suspected has some potential. Not sure how taking Morris off, you classiest player who can produce a goal from nowhere, is a good idea note the missed openings! Still puzzled how Taylor who could be better than all of them doesn't get a look in now.
The second goal summed our luck up, a tussle, Turnbull gets a poke at it but it hits the striker as he is moving forwards creating a one on one- cool finish btw. Dennis has a similar opening and fell over.
You can't form opinions just on outcomes, this is still miles better than Dawes and in the long run may have more going forward than under Mellon. Having two wide joining the attack still gets undermined by the fact the central man is unsuited. Mellon's plan was to have two forwards of that ilk.
Think I would bring Morris back in then start as we finished. The left back issue continues, maybe the reason he won't risk moving LOC. Where the hell is Norris?
Largely agree, except I thought Saunders was awful. When even when he did something, he wasted the ball. With Sam Taylor playing there, we might even have won.

We could have won, but didn’t deserve to. Donny were not much better and won’t finish high.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m really not sure it’s miles better than Dawes. For 70 minutes today we were second best. The Crewe game we were shocking first half. We’re still playing this ridiculous 4-3-3 which isn’t working and we’re making a 20 goal a season striker look hopeless.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was Groundhog Day.

I thought we were decent going forward for long periods of the game and there was not much between the sides in general play. If anything, I thought we were the slightly better side in the first half.

However, we are horrendous defensively. Wood is not good enough and was exposed yet again tonight, but I don't think the major issue is the individuals in the back four. The three other defenders were OK tonight I thought. The issue is the narrowness of the team and the lack of protection from midfield. Doncaster were able to get in on our back four with virtually every attack due to the gaping holes in our midfield, and it did not require play of any particular imagination for them to create chances. We are too easy to play against and concede too many chances. It amazes me that Adkins has not made it his first priority to address this.

Individually, I thought Hendry was poor as a holding midfielder in the first half, because the role does not suit him, and was much better when he was pushed forward after half time. Morris had a decent game but was scapegoated and subbed, and does not seem to be a favourite of the manager. Apter made an impact when he first came on but then faded a bit. Jennings was man of the match once again.

We are conceding two or three goals per game which is not sustainable and will result in relegation. Unless Adkins can address that issue we are only heading in one direction.