• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Doncaster Rovers (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Doncaster

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Doncaster Rovers (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, October 20, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, October 20, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Apologies for starting this thread a few days early. The reason is I wanted to share some things with you and I will be away from home almost until the day of the game.

The first game I saw Rovers play was against Doncaster Rovers on 22nd August 1958, so I have been a fan for over 65 years. I have lived in the south for most of my life and mainly go to away games. This season I decided to pay a rare visit to Prenton Park and naturally chose this game.

I tried to contact the club to tell them about my visit and to ask them a favour. I wrote a letter and got no reply, so I rang the club several times and emailed them but still no response. I now know my request was not possible, but I thought they might have responded, even with a no. Very disappointing.

However, that is when I contacted the lovely Supporter Liaison Officers, Nina and Louise. They have been brilliant. I got a quick reply and they even sent me a personal video message from Lee O'Connor congratulating me on my "achievement". I am meeting up before the game for a tour of the lounges and the trophy room. That is really kind of them.

So, I am really looking forward to my trip next week and hoping for the same score as in 1958 - three-nil!!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Apologies for starting this thread a few days early. The reason is I wanted to share some things with you and I will be away from home almost until the day of the game.

The first game I saw Rovers play was against Doncaster Rovers on 22nd August 1958, so I have been a fan for over 65 years. I have lived in the south for most of my life and mainly go to away games. This season I decided to pay a rare visit to Prenton Park and naturally chose this game.

I tried to contact the club to tell them about my visit and to ask them a favour. I wrote a letter and got no reply, so I rang the club several times and emailed them but still no response. I now know my request was not possible, but I thought they might have responded, even with a no. Very disappointing.

However, that is when I contacted the lovely Supporter Liaison Officers, Nina and Louise. They have been brilliant. I got a quick reply and they even sent me a personal video message from Lee O'Connor congratulating me on my "achievement". I am meeting up before the game for a tour of the lounges and the trophy room. That is really kind of them.

So, I am really looking forward to my trip next week and hoping for the same score as in 1958 - three-nil!!
The club should be ashamed of the reliance they place on the liaison officers, all of whom are volunteers.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Unfortunately I’ve had similar experiences when writing to the club via email about certain things. No response.

However I’ve also found the SLOs very helpful and we’re lucky to have them.

Not sure our defence is up to keeping a clean sheet but 3 goals would be nice! :)

drwhoman

August 1958: Payne, Bell, Frith, Heydon, Millington, Farrell, McDevitt, Rowley, Williams K, McDonnell, Eglington! So names there BBTC!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Friday night football returns to Prenton Park with a relegation 6 pointer against Doncaster. Well perhaps that’s a bit over the top, but its certainly a massive game for both sides. We know our away form is poor but as much as I’ve moaned about the 4-3-3 in recent weeks, we have taken 7 points from the last 9 at home so with a good atmosphere and if we can score first then we’re capable of picking up a win. Last season Donny finished 18th and had high hopes with Grant McCann back at the club in charge but like us they have started the season poorly and below expectations. Pressure has been on McCann but was relieved slightly with a 4-1 win last week over Sutton. Our poor form is evident by the fact that Donny although only 2 places above us, are 4 points better off so even a rovers win won’t take us up any places in the table.

Donny invested heavily in the summer bringing in players like pacey right back Sterry, veteran centre back Richard Wood and former Cambridge front man Ironside who partnered Mullin in a promotion season a few years ago. Ironside is a real threat at this level and the type of target man we need with Norris out.

As for rovers I’d expect Murphy in for McGee and Turnbull for Davies. Nigel could play LOC in midfield and bring in Starbuck or Pike at RB if fit. Walker might be fit of course. If sticking with 4-3-3 I’d be tempted to play Jennings as the number 9. Ideally I’d prefer him in midfield but we need more attacking threat up top and have cover in the midfield with Hendry, Walker, Morris etc.

Prediction: an early goal could see us pick up a home win with the crowd behind us. However if the first half is similar to at Crewe the it’ll only go one way. The confidence after last Saturdays games for both teams couldn’t have been more extreme at full time. Nigel’s positivity will have been needed this week to lift heads after the Crewe game but if things go against us I suspect a negative reaction from the SWA.

Reactions: Ian

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I'm on my jollies in warmer climes so won't make Friday night.
Nigel is in a massive dilemma re formation and Dennis. If he plays 442 to accommodate him I think we'd get battered in midfield, and 433 is disastrous.
I can only think playing 352 gets Dennis in with Norris/Jolley up front. I'd play one or both full backs wide in midfield to sure things up further. Loc, Walker and Hendry (Morris) perhaps keeping centre midfield tighter without getting pulled wide to aid our traditional wide midfielders.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, with our dire away form, we simply have to be taking maximum points at home. This will be interesting as both teams are struggling for form, so let's see how this one pans out. It might give us more of an idea of where we'll find ourselves placed this season. If we lose, that is a big worry.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Forecast tomorrow is pretty rubbish. Hopefully doesn’t ruin the game

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I'm predicting a draw maybe 0-0. But there is the form guide, that Donny are beginning to pick up regular points.
Also with our weaknesses and injuries, bans. It might turn against us.
Hopefully the kop can give us that extra man.
Lots of rain, hope the pitch can take it! Ha!

Need the win tho!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Just noticed the picture you put up @Ian.

The state of that pitch!
Wouldn't be the kit person washing that!

Good job the foreign investment paid for the upgrade!

Out of seven votes, not one has predicted a home win!
Wow!

Reactions: Ian
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I still think a 442 with O'Connor as a defensive midfielder would be much more solid than the 433 we have been playing. Our home form under Adkins is decent, but we still give the opposition too many chances. And obviously the away form has to improve.

I don't think defending as a team is just about formations though. The gaps between the different compartments of the team have been too big all season and we are too easy to play against. Nigel is a positive manager who has generally operated at ambitious clubs with big budgets and I wonder whether he has the right mindset for the position we currently find ourselves in. On occasions we simply need to 'play ugly' and grind out a result, without worrying too much about expansive football.

I would play Pike at right back and O'Connor in midfield in future, but I don't think it will happen.

As has been commented, we really need to win tomorrow or we might find ourselves cut adrift after the two away games that follow.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
On occasions we simply need to 'play ugly' and grind out a result, without worrying too much about expansive football.
Completely agree with this. It is time to dig deep and grind. I was listening to Adkins pre match and quite honestly, it bored the s*** out of me. Thought processes, analysis, problem solving, learning environments.. Can we get our KPIs right?

Sounds like one of those motivational days you get dragged to in work.

It's football. Get the effing ball, work hard and grind out a result.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rovers missing the suspended duo of McGee and Tom Davies, while Luke Norris and Leake not match fit either

As I said on the Crewe thread, 352 doesn't seem viable for this game as unless we deploy Walker there would have to use 2 of Yarney, Belehouhan or Hockenhull alongside Turnbull, which seems to ring alarm bells for a very inexperienced and potentially brittle defence. I'd like us to try 442, but even if we stick with 433, Nigel needs to stick a defensive midfielder protecting the back four into the mix, don't mind if it's O'Connor, Walker or Merrie and shuffle the pack to fill in the gaps. I've not seen him play, but it seems Starbuck has jumped above Pike in the pecking order for second choice right-back.

Don't disagree in principle with grinding out a result, but have some reservations that we've the manager and personnel to achieve that. It's the result that counts rather than how we get there, reckon an Adkins team is more likely to win 5-4 that 1-0.

Doncaster have injury problems too, only Ironside of the trio Sparky names was fit to play last weekend.

I'd be surprised if we get more than a point from this game and not even confident of that.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Completely agree with this. It is time to dig deep and grind. I was listening to Adkins pre match and quite honestly, it bored the s*** out of me. Thought processes, analysis, problem solving, learning environments.. Can we get our KPIs right?

Sounds like one of those motivational days you get dragged to in work.

It's football. Get the effing ball, work hard and grind out a result.
Yes the first 10 minutes of the interview was all about how each week they watch the last game back, try and learn from it. And move onto the next one. Funnily enough Micky said that’s his philosophy at Oldham this week.
Bloody KPIs - and as RLC says, Nigel has had success in the past but at big clubs like Southampton at low levels by their standards and Scunthorpe but that was nearly 15 years ago. Has he got the skill set to get us out of this mess? We almost need a league two equivalent of Sam Allardyce!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Please, no! Are we really that desperate? ;)
Yes I think we probably are!! Our league status is at stake!

Being serious I do think we’re very easy to play against at present and teams are creating good chances, even at home. It has to stop. Stockport could be a cricket score next week