• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Doncaster Rovers (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Doncaster

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Doncaster Rovers (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, October 20, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, October 20, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yet we continue to do the same thing week in week out.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It's the result that counts rather than how we get there, reckon an Adkins team is more likely to win 5-4 that 1-0.
At home we have picked up points in high scoring games, but I still think we need to be more pragmatic when we play away. We have lost every away game and I can't see that record improving unless we address the defensive frailties.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
At home we have picked up points in high scoring games, but I still think we need to be more pragmatic when we play away. We have lost every away game and I can't see that record improving unless we address the defensive frailties.
I agree and think we both think there’s a need for a defensive midfielder at home to protect the back four more. However Nigel seems to view it differently.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Club just tweeted no planned pitch inspection today and the grounds staff are preparing as normal.
Assume they are planning for continued rain all day so hopefully it’s on

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Club just tweeted no planned pitch inspection today and the grounds staff are preparing as normal.
It won't be the pitch, that will cause a postponement, it will only be the surrounding areas, which is my neighbourhood, and we have had a lot of rain. I need a boat to get across my garden!
The rain is due to stop and become intermittent.
I hope.
Don't bring yer boots, bring yer wellys!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Best news I’ve heard in a long time. I’m on the train heading for Birkenhead and staying overnight before heading back. It’ll be a great relief when the match starts.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Ahhh and there's me hoping it would be off and the boys would not lose. Sorry boys you know that it will be the same formation and same result the whole club seems clueless

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think the only weather that would stop this pitch is ice and snow, it loves the rain. Imagine what the old bog would have looked like!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just noticed the picture you put up @Ian.

The state of that pitch!
Wouldn't be the kit person washing that!

Good job the foreign investment paid for the upgrade!

Out of seven votes, not one has predicted a home win!
Wow!
I’ve added my vote and I’m predicting a home win. Three-nil would be great. We did it in 1958 and last season, so why not?

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Finished work early, now I’m just hanging around hoping there’s no postponement! I guess the next few hours are going to tick by slowly. Takes a lot to beat Friday nights under the lights; wish the same could be said about us!

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Latest from Birkenhead!
Rain just spitting for now!
If you need to play on council pitches, unlucky! All games off!
Sky still grey! But it looks hopeful!
That is if the players can get here and of course the officials!
Getting windier, hopefully keeping rain at bay!
Don't forget your wellys or waders.
But still bring your boots, long studs required!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I didn’t realise that Donny have won 4 of their 6 last league games after their dreadful start. So they are in good form.

Maybe I should do a rain dance…

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Although on their travels they are nearly as bad as us!
5 defeats and 1 win from 6 games

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
No issues with the system just not sure the personnel is right or even Nigel has the right players. Someone pointed out Wood had a decent CV, he has so maybe that nightmare at Crewe could be a blip? I'm in the LOC camp for central midfield, however I recognise it might make a similar issue at full back.
Just about in the Jolley camp with Dennis coming one, but cannot fathom how Taylor isn't a wide selection?
Could do with seeing some glimmers of progress. 4 points from the next three would be good, three coming tonight!!

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I still think a 442 with O'Connor as a defensive midfielder would be much more solid than the 433 we have been playing. Our home form under Adkins is decent, but we still give the opposition too many chances. And obviously the away form has to improve.

I don't think defending as a team is just about formations though. The gaps between the different compartments of the team have been too big all season and we are too easy to play against. Nigel is a positive manager who has generally operated at ambitious clubs with big budgets and I wonder whether he has the right mindset for the position we currently find ourselves in. On occasions we simply need to 'play ugly' and grind out a result, without worrying too much about expansive football.

I would play Pike at right back and O'Connor in midfield in future, but I don't think it will happen.

As has been commented, we really need to win tomorrow or we might find ourselves cut adrift after the two away games that follow.
I agree 433 is asking for trouble and LOC is a must for DCM. My worry is that with just him plus ano...say Hendry in the middle, they might get steam rollered. I'd much prefer 3 in Centre Midfield with both, or at least one of our full backs performing the wing back roles. Pike looks composed in forward position with some clever runs. Get Hawkes, Taylor on later. Dennis hopefully more of a goal threat next to Jolley up front.
Disappointed how it turned out after Mellon left. I hold my hand up I was anxious for change - big mistake! Nigel is massively more experienced than Dawsey - so just hope the improvement forthcoming.
2-2 draw for me.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Murphy and Turnbull come in, Pike back on the bench, no sign of Walker no doubt Injured again

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Walker has disappeared leaving Lewis as the only midfield sub? Saunders retains over Taylor- odd. Jolley and Dennis is an evens match for a role neither are suited. Hawkes needs to up his decision making, he opened up so much for one of his log shots at Crewe the defender realised he was nearer to the ball and nicked it!

Starbucks has disappeared, Pike back but can only see Apter as bringing something new