• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v Doncaster Rovers (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Doncaster

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v Doncaster Rovers (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, October 20, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, October 20, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The ir
Wonder if Taylor has said he’s not signing a new deal, as his absence is baffling.

Him, Hawkes and O’Connor are probably our top assets on paper, and they’re all out of contract at the end of the season.

Excellent squad planning and implementation of the development model again.
Taylor signed a 2 year extension towards the end of last season and I doubt we will have offered him another just yet, I just think it's yet another baffling managerial decision of which there have been so many so far this season

Reactions: Boz
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
But there is no need for the hopelessness if we plug the gaps in midfield and defence. The season is going to be a tough one but we are making it even tougher. Madness.
Yes, I still think we have got enough in the squad to finish 22nd if we are well managed. You can be absolutely rubbish and still survive in this division.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Decent results for us today with Sutton and Colchester both losing, albeit the former were beaten by our opponents on Tuesday night.

Of course, it means nothing if we don't get our own act together.
Yes Morecambe will be buoyed by their win and it doesn’t get any easier next Saturday against in form Stockport. 8 wins in a row for them now I think

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
We are relying on those teams around us to be as s...e as we are!

How as it come to this? (rhetorical question!)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Decent results for us today with Sutton and Colchester both losing, albeit the former were beaten by our opponents on Tuesday night.

Of course, it means nothing if we don't get our own act together.
Indeed. Had it not been for Connor's consolation goal last night, we'd be 23rd by virtue of scoring fewer goals than Colchester.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
We won’t know if it would fail until we try it.

We’re failing now as an attacking side so something different needs to be tried. I can’t believe you’re suggesting playing a centre back up front instead of someone like Jennings, Lewis or even Jolley alongside a Dennis or Taylor.

Like I say not perfect, but we need to try something else
Sparky, good managers have converted centre half's very successfully into strikers. Chris Sutton, Dion Dublin, Paul Warhurst, ...and even Ronnie Moore. Kenny Burns also replaced Bob Latchford at Birmingham with great success. Out of the player you mention I don't think there is a good foil for Dennis. If I had to choose, i'd go Jolley.

I agree with clamour to stick LOC in as a defensive midfielder, but i dont brlieve he alone plus Hendry or ano will be a good enough barrier in a 442. I honestly think we'd need three in a narrow midfield. Wing backs either side, Dennis plus one up front and three at the back.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Higgy 2, I just looked at the team sheet for our last away win, 0-1 at Stevenage and it was a 442 with Hendry and O’Connor as the central midfield pairing. Think Micky used that pairing on other occasions too. It was interesting that the forwards in that game were Saunders and Lewis. The latter is actually closest physically to what we’re likely to get when Luke Norris returns, so if Adkins was clued up, he’d use Lewis there rather than defensive midfield. If the suggestions are true that Luke will be back in contention for the Stockport game, then it would make sense to play Dennis up front for at least part of the game.

While I agree that there is quite a history of central defenders converting to strikers, given the number of attacking players we have, think it makes more sense to exhaust that option first. None of our current central defenders have been regular scorers in their careers to date, certainly can’t compare with Peter Clarke. Turnbull has been the most prolific and would probably be the best option. However he’s very one-footed as seen in the Donny game when he wouldn’t try to convert a fair chance with his right foot.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Good call in giving Dennis a run out paired with someone like Lewis ahead of Norris' return. I think Jolley's physicality is underestimated, but Lewis would do for me.
Equally I wouldn't mind a Taylor and Jolley/Lewis combo.
In terms of converting centre half's to a striker I was just making the point to Sparky that it's not such an absurd idea made by Dollarsbloke given the type and quality available.
Getting LOC into centre midfield has to be a priority and would improve things. But with just him and Hendry in the middle and our traditional wide men I can still see us losing the battle.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Given how complementary Adkins was post match Donny about Lewis I can’t see him playing up front anytime soon. He is an option though as is Connor Jennings to partner Dennis. We’d lose Connors drive from midfield but he could drop in at times especially away from home and we have tons of midfielders enabling us to push Jenno further forward.

it’s probably all immaterial however as I can’t see Nigel changing from this daft 4-3-3 meaning Dennis is lost in the central role. I do think though they’ll be changes on Tuesday in personnel. Hawkes will almost certainly be dropped for Apter and I’d expect Lewis to start. Plus Davies will be back of course. Also does anyone know if McGee got a 3 game ban?

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with Sparky that Lewis won’t be played up front. Some of us feel that Adkins deciding he’s the answer to our defensive midfield issue is questionable. as already explored in this thread.

McGee was sent off for denying goal scoring opportunity should be back as that’s a 1 match ban.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This doesn't have to be difficult. Just stick LOC as a defensive midfielder he's wasted as a right back and is the best we have for that position. That will at least fix a couple of the problems we have right now.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
This doesn't have to be difficult. Just stick LOC as a defensive midfielder he's wasted as a right back and is the best we have for that position. That will at least fix a couple of the problems we have right now.
But create a new one, losing both flanks could be disastrous?

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Things couldn't be more disastrous than they are at the moment, and surely the objective would be to help ease the pressure on the defence, including the full back positions.
That was the oft trotted out theory when Mellon was sacked. Things can always get worse, LOC is defending the right flank very well moving him could make it worse. I strongly believe he is a prospect at CM but not as a pair

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just a few final thoughts on my trip to Birkenhead this weekend.

Although two things put a dampener on it - one literally, the other sportingly, I enjoyed my pilgrimage. I was delighted with my tour of PP, getting to see the trophy cabinet - there's lots in there, surprisingly! - and getting to sit in the manager's chair in the dugout. A couple of things you may not know. The floodlights were originally in Goodison Park and were offered to us when Everton upgraded theirs. The pitch is not flat, but is higher in the centre than in the corners. It's not obvious from a spectator's viewpoint, but is clear from the dugout. It helps drainage, which is now very good anyway.

The SLO's do a great job but are there partly because the EFL demands it. It still rankles a bit that I got no response to my letter from the club itself, who didn't even pass my request down to the SLO's. I remember it took me months of effort to contact the club about the song I wrote with ONIGP's lad. I think this is a general issue for the club. Poor PR and possibly missed opportunities.

I enjoyed a tasty and cheap pint in the marquee, which was warm and welcoming. What a great job the TROSC do for the club. The new fan zone is coming along and will be great when finished and I hope it still has the intimacy of the present set up.

At risk of a deluge of angry responses, I thought the Kop was very quiet until Connor's goal. Even before Donny scored, their 400 fans were outshouting the home fans. Once we scored, the atmosphere was fantastic, but before then it was a bit flat. Perhaps it was the weather or just the poor form of the team. Mercifully, there were no negative comments about the team or the manager.

Finally, because I have no family or friends left on the Wirral, I booked a B&B for the night just a five minute walk from PP. If anyone needs some cheap and welcoming accommodation for a visitor, then please PM me for the details. It was like a home from home.