• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendly Pre season friendlies

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hawkes hits the post with a cracking effort

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
1-0 at half time. Cogley took a knock just before but doesn’t look serious. Hopefully see something of Nolan second half. Very strange not seeing Clarke or Davies at the back and we do look a bit short of experience and aren’t particularly vocal. Hard to judge this sort of game though

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Two centre mid subs with Lewis and Nolan on for OConnor and mclear. Doohan also off for hewlet.

Morris just subbed injured after a blood and thunder challenge from Evan Gumbs/ hopefully not serious. Merrie on at left CB with bristow left wing back

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
That’s a strange one, wouldn’t think Merrie had the height for central defence.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Got hope these injuries are not too bad as they are coming thick and fast

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A relatively straightforward win at Warrington. Hard to judge players in a game like that but a few comments:

Hockenhull/Byrne - weren’t tested too much. Hockenhull reminds me of George Ray. Hopefully Davies is fit and will be first choice probably alongside Byrne. Bristow not convincing in possession. Looks more comfortable going forward than naturally defending although not sure how much he’s played in a back 3. Merrie looked much more comfortable there.
Mclear decent set pieces - a little bit headless chicken at times but hard to judge on one half.
Nolan not very mobile but sat in front of the back four and kept it neat and tidy. Decent passer.

Overall a good workout but we definitely need another front man. Hemmings often dropping deep and Nevitt still best IMO as an impact player. Morris looked decent nice and to see Josh Hawkes has filled out a bit and if he can stay fit could have a really good season.

As I say only one game but I still think we need more experience and more of a goal threat

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Jolley needs surgery on knee injury going be out long term

• Sad
Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks for the report Sparky. Team sounds like it’s still a few players off being competitive this season. Front man a must as you say.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was an encouraging performance. With the five at the back and wing backs, the football was a lot more dynamic and attractive than last season and both of the new centre halves seemed comfortable playing out. It was noticeable that there is a lot more athleticism in the squad now. Yes, we need to add another striker, but I am convinced we will score more goals this season, because of the additional creativity and goalscoring threat from midfield.

I thought Josh Hawkes was our best player. He ran the show in a central role and it is good to see has shaken off the loss of confidence he suffered towards the end of last season. Cogley was also excellent.

Of the newcomers, I was really impressed with Bristow. Very tidy on the ball and always looking to get forward. I think we would have good balance in a 532 with him and Cogley at wing back, assuming the latter stays. There will be the usual complaints about Morris playing left wing back, but I think that is purely because of the injuries and gaps in the squad at the moment.

Nolan was tidy in possession, but I was concerned about how deep he sat. He was quite immobile and seems a long way from full fitness.

I thought overall we looked more adventurous and athletic than last season, and if we can plug the couple of remaining gaps it will be a good season. The only negative was a nasty injury to Morris from a reckless block tackle from Evan Gumbs (cheers for that Evan).

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thanks for the match reports!
Did the keepers have much to do and if so how did Hewelt look ? Never seen him in action.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Fingers crossed Morris is not too bad, could be a ligament injury from what Micky said

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Did the keepers have much to do and if so how did Hewelt look ? Never seen him in action.
Not really. Hewelt did ok with what he had to do. Doohan untroubled. Murphy was warming both keepers up but although he’s player coach I’m assuming he still be in the first team squad

Reactions: ADD
Player
Manager
John King
As Sparky says, Hewelt did not have any difficult saves to make but looked solid. It is interesting that Murphy seems to be very much taking a back seat now, and Mellon seems to have faith that Hewelt can become part of the first team squad.

Player
Manager
John King
Souunds somewhat frustrated again, need to do some decent business in the next 3 weeks preferably rather than deadline day panic like last year
I think prior to the injuries we were only two or three players away, but the injury to Jolley in particular means we need to do more business.

Managers are never happy with the number of players they have got, but I still think the squad is better balanced than last season. Mellon was probably gutted about the Morris injury.