• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Orient v Rovers

Match result

• Leyton Orient

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Orient v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Breyer Group Stadium
Saturday, September 3, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 3, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
That is not how the team has been set up away from home this season. We were on the front foot and the better side in the first half at Hartlepool and Newport, and matched and caused problems to the top of the table side in the first half yesterday. We have not started the games with negative tactics or a negative mindset.
How many of those games did we win? Hartlepool are hopeless and we couldnt score against them. Not sure what difference it makes matching a team for 45 minutes if we still lose 2-0. They away form has been an issue for a long time, mostly as a result of negative tactics.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I haven’t had a chance to see the match highlights yet, but will comment more after viewing. However, it sounded like in pre-season we’d devised a supply line which largely kept Hemmings in and around the box with plenty of chances. That seems to have dried up since the season’s started irrespective of formation. Any ideas why this is?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Hemmings is not being played out of position. He is playing as a striker in a front two. He comes deep or drifts wide at times because he is good at linking the play and that is his natural game.
It maybe the case that he is supposed to be playing as striker in a front 2 but he isn't actually fulfilling that role and he is playing far too deep/ wide.
I assume that when Glatzel comes in for Nevitt he will revert to genuinely playing as an out and out CF given Glatzel's extra class and them being on the same wavelength.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
How many of those games did we win? Hartlepool are hopeless and we couldnt score against them. Not sure what difference it makes matching a team for 45 minutes if we still lose 2-0. They away form has been an issue for a long time, mostly as a result of negative tactics.
I was referring to the tactical approach, not the results. The tactical approach this season away from home has not been defensive or negative.

You are simply repeating lazy cliches relating to last season's away performances.

I haven’t had a chance to see the match highlights yet, but will comment more after viewing. However, it sounded like in pre-season we’d devised a supply line which largely kept Hemmings in and around the box with plenty of chances. That seems to have dried up since the season’s started irrespective of formation. Any ideas why this is?
I’d say because we have very little creativity through the middle, regardless of what impression friendlies may have given. In general, if we don’t get the wing backs into the game, we don’t have enough guile to open defences up. I’m hoping Glatzel’s movement and Morris’ eventual return may improve us in that regard, but centre mid seems to be the one area where the spine of the team isn’t right.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Charlton1975 should learn to count to eleven before he advises Mellon on his tactical approach, or ridicules other posters. :)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Strange that there is still no report or interviews on the O/S, yet there’s a write-up of today’s Ladies’ game already.

Incidentally, I think I’ll switch my allegiance. The girls have had a great season so far. ;)

drwhoman

I was referring to the tactical approach, not the results. The tactical approach this season away from home has not been defensive or negative.

You are simply repeating lazy cliches relating to last season's away performances.
Unlike me, you go to the games RLC and I have great respect for your views. However, whatever our tactical approach our results have not improved away from home. It has been said that we lack leaders. I would hope that this issue is being addressed internally?
We have a highly experienced Manager who should be on top of these sorts of things? Do they need a sports psychologist? I am being serious. Something has to change if we are to be promoted, either this season or any time in the future.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The team is lacking in various areas. Mellon has said a few times he will work with the players and try and improve them because of their age but it is very much a work in progress, not a squad ready made for promotion.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Just to depart from the doom and gloom from yesterday’s game for a moment. We’ve been beaten by the team that’s top of the league, are in terrific form and at their place. At no point did they dominate the game or did we look out of our depth and before the somewhat fortuitous first goal, we looked decent and probably the better team. On another day we might have taken one of our chances (Hemmings, Nevitt, Turnbull), the deflection of their keeper might have fallen to us and it’d have been a different story; all ifs and buts I know, but there’s not this massive chasm between teams and it is fine margins. Having said that, it’s the context of our away form and mediocre start to the season that’s overshadowing a performance that was far from the abject failure that some are touting (not specifically a reference to here). It’s been said by some that Orient weren’t all that, a sentiment I can’t disagree with; surely we deserve some credit for nullifying a lot of what they did. Feels like I’m clutching at straws, but got to find some positivity before the Monday morning grind of work! I’m hoping with two good home wins we’ll all be in a better place come our next and long awaited away victory!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just to depart from the doom and gloom from yesterday’s game for a moment. We’ve been beaten by the team that’s top of the league, are in terrific form and at their place. At no point did they dominate the game or did we look out of our depth and before the somewhat fortuitous first goal, we looked decent and probably the better team. On another day we might have taken one of our chances (Hemmings, Nevitt, Turnbull), the deflection of their keeper might have fallen to us and it’d have been a different story; all ifs and buts I know, but there’s not this massive chasm between teams and it is fine margins. Having said that, it’s the context of our away form and mediocre start to the season that’s overshadowing a performance that was far from the abject failure that some are touting (not specifically a reference to here). It’s been said by some that Orient weren’t all that, a sentiment I can’t disagree with; surely we deserve some credit for nullifying a lot of what they did. Feels like I’m clutching at straws, but got to find some positivity before the Monday morning grind of work! I’m hoping with two good home wins we’ll all be in a better place come our next and long awaited away victory!
I hope the team read your post, GTS. I agree with the sentiments. The players have the ability to play the new system. The problem is one of confidence, which the team is a bit short on - the strikers in particular. We now have two winnable home games to help us get back in form. We should also have Davies and Morris back soon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn't feel from either the commentary or the brief highlights that this was either a terrible Rovers performance or a side set up negatively in the way we were at times last season. However, I'd agree that we are lacking on field leaders. Hemmings does his best, though there's always the issue of whether forwards make good captains, while Turnbull hasn't really stepped up. I don't think the absentees are particularly strong in that regard either. Heads seemed to drop after the first goal and there wasn't much geeing up on the park.

Looking at the highlights Ian's put up, I'd note the following;
Good build-up involving Hemmings, Nolan and Cogley for the early Nevitt effort. Sure Eliott could have done better, but it wasn't a "sitter" there was work needed to convert that.
The og. There was a heap of things going wrong in the build-up; notably a failure of the midfielders to track back and Bristow ought to have been making it more difficult for Smyth to put the cross in. Once the ball got into our box, it was in the zone of uncertainty, too far out for Doohan to claim, but with the forward lurking Turnbull had to make an attempt to reach the ball.
Turnbull free header over. While the jury's out over whether we miss Clarke's defending, we sure as hell are lacking a defender who can attack and finish chances like that.
Nolan's shot. Decent effort and Hemmings again involved in the build-up. Nevitt or McAlear should have been alert to the second ball after the keeper parried.
Orient second Byrne out of position to cover for Bristow and nobody really covering for him. A decent clinical finish though.

Tactically think Rovers got things right going 442 and the diamond, the Orient boss said how they found it difficult to break down that formation. Maybe worth freshening up the midfield, though wish Micky would give Merrie a chance in a more attacking role, however from the point of the first round of changes, it seemed the hosts tightened their grip on the game. The switch to 532 didn't seem to work at all, Byrne a right-footer struggling on the left, while Orient fans were scathing about Simeu and even the commentary remarked how he kept bundling into his team-mates. While I'm sure he'll come good, it wasn't an auspicious debut. Perhaps we should have tried Bristow on the left side of central defence and Hawkes/Merrie at left wing-back? However, I'd disagree with the suggestion that there are no options available to change things at present.

I wonder if Micky's remark about Glatzel being match fit was a consequence of MMs attendance at a funeral on the Friday, so not being fully in the picture. It's one where the follow-up question of "why wasn't he in the squad then?" should have been asked. I would be wary of rushing Paul back. better to do it gradually and hopefully he'll build up some resilience.

Sorry to pee on everybody's chips, but I think the next few games are going to be testing. On reports and highlights, Stockport looked worthy of a more comfortable win than the 1-0 they managed, while both Bradford and Salford are genuine promotion contenders. Hopefully we'll all be feeling more positive when these are out of the way

Player
Manager
John King
I still have not seen the full game as it has not been posted on Ifollow, but if the extended highlights are representative it is frustrating we did not come away with something. We arguably had the better opportunities, as cited by Boz above, and some of the build up play was very good.

I thought Nevitt should have got his shot on target in the first half, but the defender did just enough to put him off. However, Turnbull's free header was an absolute sitter, and he simply got the timing of his jump wrong. It was a great strike by Nolan after half time which should have been followed up by the strikers when it came off the keeper, and I think an on-form Hemmings would have buried the chance after a great cross from Bristow (I think).

I agree with a lot of Boz's comments, but Turnbull has certainly delivered as a defender, even if he is not a natural leader. His early error aside, a number of observers also thought Simeu looked promising yesterday.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RLC, I agree about Turnbull’s defensive capability and he does take a lead in organising the defence.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It doesn't show you on the highlights but Simeu had a terrible first five minutes after coming on. First minute he collided with his own defender causing problems in the area and then a minute later, somehow slipped and lost the ball in a dangerous area. He did however compose himself and go on to have a decent game.

As said above, our play was great before the goal. However, it all went a bit flat after that. Micky needs to work on that pretty quickly with the players. At the moment, I feel if we are leading in a game, we seem to do OK, the heads are up and the game plan is working. But if we go behind, we really do not know how to respond.

The only game where we did fight back and knuckle down was Accrington. We need more of that.

Player
Manager
John King
I have belatedly watched the full game from Saturday, and I don't actually think heads went down when we conceded. In the first twenty minutes of the second half we continued to play well and create chances, and should have equalised. Micky's comments after the game were slightly harsh on the players, and were perhaps borne out of general frustration. We capitulated after conceding at Newport, but that did not happen in this game.

I thought the substitutions and change of system were more of a turning point. We lost shape and impetus in the last twenty minutes and the performance petered out in the closing stages.

Hawkes and Nolan both had good games in midfield, with and without the ball, but MaClear was poor, a couple of decent corners aside. I would not be surprised if Lewis comes back into the team on Friday.

Orient were simply more ruthless than us in taking their chances.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Second goal could definitely be described as ruthless, but hapless is more apt for the first goal. I guess it adds to the frustration for some that recognised we played okay, but still got beat. It is about points on the board after all, but there’s definitely something to build on and we definitely don’t look a poor side as some would have us believe. Just need to convert those chances/half-chances into onion-bag busting goals!