• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Orient v Rovers

Match result

• Leyton Orient

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Orient v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Breyer Group Stadium
Saturday, September 3, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 3, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
well with the way they have started and the hit and miss of our form we need a Newcastle type of performance to get anything out of the game let us hope last night's battering has taken something out of them a draw would do me but I am going for a 95th 1-0 smash and grab with a new player scoring

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have a feeling we might do well on Saturday. Remember when we played Newport when they they had lost their last seven home games? This time, Leyton Orient are riding high, undefeated in the league. The run has to end some time!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think we'll struggle here simply because our away from still needs big improvements and they are flying at the moment.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wonder if the arrival of Simeu means we'll revert to a back three for this one. I would hope we keep Hawkes in the starting xi.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Wonder if the arrival of Simeu means we'll revert to a back three for this one.
Yes, I think we will.

This game will be a real test for the youngsters. Orient have plenty of experience in their ranks, including the likes of Moncur and Pratley, and seem to be playing a high tempo, high intensity game this season. We will need to be up for the fight mentally and physically, or the game might run away from us as it did at Newport.

I would be pleased with a point.

Another game I will miss as I am working, but at least there are a few tasty fixtures coming up in the next few weeks.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wonder if the arrival of Simeu means we'll revert to a back three for this one. I would hope we keep Hawkes in the starting xi.
Yes I agree. Hawkes is in my opinion our most creative player and has a goal in him. We must find a way of getting him into the starting eleven whatever formation we play. It says something that although early days he’s joint top scorer with 2 in all competitions having had much less minutes than our front two, although as I say early days in the season

Player
Manager
John King
I think Morris is more creative, but I agree about Hawkes' goalscoring potential. He should be aiming for double figures this season.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Momentum is key, MM cant look at home and away games differently this season, as that is what killed us last season/ Hawkes is one of the most creative players we have and is a goal threat, so he needs to be in the team. Let the full backs go forward and push them back. This is a watershed game for me, against a good side. Lets see if MM reverts to type and tries for a 0-0 or actually has a go.

Player
Manager
John King
MM cant look at home and away games differently this season, as that is what killed us last season
There is no evidence that he does this, this season or last.

The full backs could not be as adventurous last season, home or away, as we were playing a back four and had two slow centre halves, one of whom was forty.

As for 'reversion to type', take a look at how many goals we scored away from home with Cook and Norwood up front. It is the capabilities of the players that has determined the number of goals we have, or have not, scored under Mellon.

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
Funnily enough MM referred to this home and away set up in his pre- match and even joked about it! He said there was no difference in approach.
Despite that however we all have our own views as to how we approached home and away games last season... and some of those views will differ:)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do worry about our away form. I think there are confidence issues playing away. I have a horrible feeeling about this game because if the game plan goes wrong, it could get ugly.

Player
Manager
John King
I do worry about our away form. I think there are confidence issues playing away. I have a horrible feeeling about this game because if the game plan goes wrong, it could get ugly.
We have only played a handful of away games with the new group of players, but the issues we have had this season largely relate to inexperience and inconsistency, rather than tactics.

We have only played a handful of away games with the new group of players, but the issues we have had this season largely relate to inexperience and inconsistency, rather than tactics.
Yes, and it’s for that reason, plus the pleasing (and very different) qualities we showed in our last two games against Newcastle and Colchester, that - bizarrely - in some ways I’m more interested in the performance tomorrow than the actual result.

Both would obviously be nice, but another good performance will reinforce that we might just be on the right tracks, whereas a flukey win might only paper over cracks.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Yes, and it’s for that reason, plus the pleasing (and very different) qualities we showed in our last two games against Newcastle and Colchester, that - bizarrely - in some ways I’m more interested in the performance tomorrow than the actual result.

Both would obviously be nice, but another good performance will reinforce that we might just be on the right tracks, whereas a flukey win might only paper over cracks.
I agree a good committed performance will give us momentum and indicate the standard has been set and understood. Hopefully the results should follow.
The line up should be interesting and I'm glad to see Burton back in the mix. He will defo be useful at some stage when pressing up front and I've wondered before if he could prove a better foil for Hemmings in the long run.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can't see anything other than a home win but hopefully we can in a decent performance and be creative

ADD

Player
Norwood
Will be interesting to see if Simeu starts and as Higgy says hopefully Burton is on the bench again and gets some more minutes.
Hemmings needs to get on the score sheet also ideally - it is all very well getting assists but he will not be wanting his goals per game record to start deteriorating as it is at present. Would prefer he plays through the middle as an out and out CF.
Would be happy with a draw and a positive performance with some decent chances created.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We’re capable of getting something out of the game, though not sure what to expect. Will be interesting to see how we line up today.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The performance as Higgy says is important although I’d take a smash and grab all day long away at the league leaders. The Colchester performance was decent albeit let’s face it, against very poor opposition. Today will be a much bigger test

Player
Manager
John King
A back four again, and Hawkes and Nolan start in midfield. Looks like a 442 diamond, as against Colchester.

Simeu on the bench.

Reactions: Ian