• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Orient v Rovers

Match result

• Leyton Orient

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Orient v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Breyer Group Stadium
Saturday, September 3, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 3, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don’t have much sympathy for Micky because they knew that would be the case when they spent a lot of the budget on lots of centre backs and central midfielders. It only left money for mumbongo as a striker back up who wasn’t even fit. .
This is not true. It seems clear we had money available for other attacking signings on Thursday but could not meet the required asking prices. Mellon will have assumed - and no doubt received assurances - that additional strikers would be brought in, which ultimately was not the case. Mellon identifies the players he wants, in tandem with Palios and Vaughan, but he does not write the cheques and finalise the deals.

If you are playing three at the back you need considerable cover at centre half, as the recent injuries have proved.

The squad is not particularly big overall. We are not overloaded at centre half and in midfield: we are undercooked at centre forward. Of course, that could change if Glatzel remains fit for an extended period and Mumbongo does manage to play games.

It is also worth bearing in mind that the wages of a top striker at this level probably cost three times those of a reasonable centre half.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree about strikers wages in general but I still find it hard because we saw last season the problems were we didn’t score enough goals. We still seem to have the same problem. 7 scored in 7 games and that has partly been down to disappointing performances from Nevitt in particular. Strikers don’t come cheap but I still can’t believe there weren’t people out there we couldn’t afford apart from injury prone strikers

Player
Manager
John King
Agree about strikers wages in general but I still find it hard because we saw last season the problems were we didn’t score enough goals. We still seem to have the same problem. 7 scored in 7 games and that has partly been down to disappointing performances from Nevitt in particular. Strikers don’t come cheap but I still can’t believe there weren’t people out there we couldn’t afford apart from injury prone strikers
There were probably plenty of people available to us who would play 46 games, but the majority of them crap. We have got one proven striker in Hemmings and I just don't think we have the financial clout to bring in another, other than someone like Glatzel who has injury problems.

I agree the Mumbongo signing is strange. You would think we would want a squad striker who was at least guaranteed to get on the pitch. However, Mellon is only one part of the transfer committee including Palios, Vaughan and Beck, so all the blame can't be pinned on him.

I personally think Mellon has been dealt a difficult hand. Expected to challenge for promotion with a squad full of kids, whereas his successful teams have always had plenty of experienced journeymen.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes and that is where Micky must be scratching his head. Promotions with experienced pros like McNulty, Scottie, Harris, Perkins even Jennings and Nors. They set the standards on and off the pitch.

Feels like we’re a long way from that sort of approach…….

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There aren’t enough leaders out there too. Lots of inexperience and not knowing what to do when the game changes. There is ability there but you need more than that to win games of football.

You could hear the disappointment post match because Orient weren’t all over us. We just went flat when the first goal went in and the game fizzled out. This is where we need leaders and players to knuckle down and get stuck in.

Hopefully some returning players might give us a bit if a kick we need.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes lack of leaders a big issue. Again the fault of the recruitment process. Ok we’re missing Davies but not sure Morris is a leader albeit he’s experienced. Even Hemmings doesn’t come across like someone who would lead the group

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
It's MM's job to motivate the players if Glatz is match fit and ready why the fuck not have him at least on the bench somthing stinks and it's not my feet after running for a few hours but something is very wrong

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
as for Hemmings, I would drop him and Elliott and play Jake and Glatz in the next game or fine the bastard lot of them till they start playing any way back to the Kitchen another 2 hours to go yet, tell ya what send them to me I will show them what proper teamwork or just really what hard work is

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
as for Hemmings, I would drop him and Elliott and play Jake and Glatz in the next game
interesting point am. i wonder if hemmings is also a little complacent as he gets picked regardless. i know he is our main striker but sometimes a rest can also do wonders. he is obviously feeling the pressure. the sooner glatzel enters the fold, the better, to mix things up.

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Think Ian summed it up really well with lack of leaders being a key factor, certainly no shortage of ability to play some decent football at times but a naivety and lack of cohesion to our play.
I was probably one of the ones walking out grumbling that Orient didn’t really seem anything special and a 2 -0 flattered them but we didn’t know how to pick ourselves up once behind. Usually I moan that we don’t change things around enough when behind but sadly the changes didn’t help at all with Lewis quite poor, Burton keen but nothing falling or working for him.
One positive came away with was Rhys Hughes looks a promising player who can tackle and find space but of course on the learning curve.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Bottom line is that it is another away defeat. This just seems to be an ongoing issue, which the manager has to take responsibility for. Yes the players heads went down after conceding, probably knowing that the way this team has been set up to play away from home for the past 18 months is not to concede and try and nick a point.

Hopefully there are a few returning from injury that can improve the 11 on the pitch, and if we can keep the key players fit then we can start to develop some cohesion and style of play. Still a long way to go, but every defeat makes it a harder job.....

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
complacent or just lazy 1 goal in 9 and we have been making chances 9 goals i 28 games is mmmmmmm alright but will he or Nevitt score more than 10

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I am tired off to bed got a carvery for more than 100 tomoz and in at 7 in morning night all

drwhoman

I wonder when the future of the Manager will come under the spotlight. Disappointing last season and we do not appear to have improved this time round. I expected the result at Orient and even the score! It is frustratingly predictable.

ADD

Player
Norwood
interesting point am. i wonder if hemmings is also a little complacent as he gets picked regardless. i know he is our main striker but sometimes a rest can also do wonders. he is obviously feeling the pressure. the sooner glatzel enters the fold, the better, to mix things up.
Hemmings is this season being played out of position at the moment for some reason... he and Cogley set up our best chance down the right which Nevitt blasted over. Hemmings spends much of every game effectively playing as an attacking midfielder creating - hence all his assists.
I suspect that rather than being complacent he is getting seriously peeved with how he is being asked to play as it is cratering his goals per game average.
As to Glatzel given he was supposedly "match fit" on Saturday he should have been starting with Hemmings.... though of course we all know he wasn't/ can't be.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just watched the extended highlights... 3 decent chances were shown, Nevitt blasting over, Turnbull heading over when unmarked and Hemmings not connecting with a decent cross from Bristow... that aside all the highlights were of Orient's play - they looked from the highlights at least much slicker and direct. Smyth was good even before his goal and Bristow looked suspect defensively against him which was surprising.

Player
Manager
John King
Bottom line is that it is another away defeat. This just seems to be an ongoing issue, which the manager has to take responsibility for. Yes the players heads went down after conceding, probably knowing that the way this team has been set up to play away from home for the past 18 months is not to concede and try and nick a point.

Hopefully there are a few returning from injury that can improve the 11 on the pitch, and if we can keep the key players fit then we can start to develop some cohesion and style of play. Still a long way to go, but every defeat makes it a harder job.....
That is not how the team has been set up away from home this season. We were on the front foot and the better side in the first half at Hartlepool and Newport, and matched and caused problems to the top of the table side in the first half yesterday. We have not started the games with negative tactics or a negative mindset.

Player
Manager
John King
Hemmings is this season being played out of position at the moment for some reason... he and Cogley set up our best chance down the right which Nevitt blasted over. Hemmings spends much of every game effectively playing as an attacking midfielder creating - hence all his assists.
I suspect that rather than being complacent he is getting seriously peeved with how he is being asked to play as it is cratering his goals per game average.
As to Glatzel given he was supposedly "match fit" on Saturday he should have been starting with Hemmings.... though of course we all know he wasn't/ can't be.
Hemmings is not being played out of position. He is playing as a striker in a front two. He comes deep or drifts wide at times because he is good at linking the play and that is his natural game.

Last edited:

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Agree Bristow had a fairly testing afternoon defensively. Orient had looked threatening down our left a few times with some misunderstanding who would cover when Bristow was out of position, resulting on one occasion to Byrne being dragged out wide getting booked to prevent getting skinned then having a very public raging row with O’Connor about positioning.
Think Hemming’s is a very good player at this level generally but seem to recall he did have two half decent chances despite all the comment about the deep role. The course of the game can of course change in a flash by a sharp striker taking an opportunity.

Player
Manager
John King
Hemmings had two good chances at Newport as well. He is not playing 'deep'. The service to him can improve, but that is another issue.