• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA . CUP . WATFORD

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In fairness, the tactical changes were brilliant. Mellon showed his worth yet again.
I’m not so sure. The local radio felt that the Hornets lost control of the game when they took off Chalobah at h/t who was running the game first half. Presume that we went to a back four after the break?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They also tired a little in the second half with some of the younger lads struggling. However our OAP's in midfield kept the gas on :D

Player
ian goodison
didn,t go and to be fair never gave us a chance then grandson phones to say we drew oh me of little faith, replay and hopefully be on telly money will come in handy,

drwhoman

Sensational result against a weakened Watford team that would still be earning more than our lads. Heart and commitment! The cash might be decisive in strengthening the squad sufficient to stay in Div One.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just seen the highlights on BBC website, keeper was lucky as to me he handled just outside the area. Amazing comeback with over 14000 so not a bad attendence, be interesting to see if they put out a stronger team in the replay

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I’m not so sure. The local radio felt that the Hornets lost control of the game when they took off Chalobah at h/t who was running the game first half. Presume that we went to a back four after the break?
The switch to a back four and the performance of CBT on the left wing were key elements in the comeback. Ferrier was also much better as a lone striker. I was at the game and it was not just a case of Watford losing control. Their local radio are not the most impartial observers ! Mellon and the players were immense. Anyway, I am too happy to argue !

Player
Manager
John King
They also tired a little in the second half with some of the younger lads struggling. However our OAP's in midfield kept the gas on :D
The fitness levels of our players were impressive, particularly Danns and Perkins. To put in a shift like that with the schedule we have had is remarkable really.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
CBT showing why we signed him but predictably inconsistent for a youngster. Hopeless against Coventry but on form today and interestingly taking more of our set pieces including the manny goal.

Player
aldo
the pitch at pp will be a Leveler . they will hate it . what a come back did fear a hammering at 3-0 . but by the sounds of it we could have won it . MOD tweeted we could be first on the show tonight . a big TV game to come hope its on and not on BT or sky get it on bbc . and a full house don,t think it will be £10

Player
aldo
all i will say the boys need to play like that second half. for the rest of the season and there will be no worries this season if they do

Player
Manager
John King
One of those days that makes you happy and proud to be a Tranmere fan.

It was a strange first half. We set up in a 532 and sat pretty deep, presumably to try and at least get to the thirty minute mark unscathed and get a foothold in the game. However, individual errors and lapses in concentration gifted Watford a three goal lead. For the first goal we switched off from a quickly taken corner; for the second Clarke tried to play out from the back when we were being pressed; for the third Manny played a reckless cross field pass and we were picked off. In fairness, the finishing from Watford was clinical and I don't think the errors for the first and third goals would have been punished at League One level.

The scoreline was particularly frustrating as, while Watford were comfortably in control, they had not really cut us open in general play at all and we had several periods of decent possession. However, we were too passive without the ball and lacked self belief, which is understandable given our recent form.

A tactical switch to 4411, and no doubt an inspirational speech from Mellon, changed the game. We completely dominated the second half, playing some great stuff at times, and can ultimately count ourselves pretty unfortunate not to have won the game, as we created other chances in addition to the goals, with their keeper making a brilliant save from Jennings at 3-1. The said keeper was also lucky to stay on the pitch after handling outside the box.

Individually, there were some highly impressive performances. Monthe had simply too much strength and power for Andre Gray and kept him quiet all game (his transfer value will have risen further after that display); Clarke was solid after his early gaffe and was better on the ball than I expected - he looked much more comfortable after we switched to two centre backs; CBT helped to change the game in the second half and caused the Watford defence constant problems, even when he was tracked by two or three men; Ferrier was excellent as a lone striker and gave Dawson a very tough afternoon. However, my joint men of the match were Jennings and Danns, both of whom were immense.

The atmosphere in the away end was fantastic, enhanced by the drama of the VAR incidents, and it was an incredible day.

I think today's performance and the Wycombe replay a few weeks ago show that the spirit of the last three years is alive and well, which is vital for the weeks ahead.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
An honest post-match interview from Micky, where he suggested it might have been better starting with the formation we ended up with at the back, but fears about Woods' fitness meant he decided against starting that way. It would seem Ridehalgh isn't close to a return and there is a real need for full-back cover.

Having seen the highlights, would agree with RLCs comments about clinical finishing from the hosts. All of their goals, regardless of Rovers errors in the build-up, were well taken. It's credit to Micky that whereas many managers would have opted for damage limitation at h/t he kept positive and the team responded by clawing their way back into the game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A draw for us but a victory for VAR! Two important decisions on our goals. And their goalie DID handle outside the area. The local radio said so and you can see on the BBC website highlights, although it was not on Match of the Day. It was not seen by the officials, so not referred to VAR. However, had he been sent off, he couldn't have spilled the cross for our second goal, so I'm not complaining. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Their keeper did handle outside the area, but that's not an automatic red card. The nearest Rovers player was some distance away, so don't think we could say he was denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity. A yellow card and a free-kick on the edge of the area would've done at that point in the game. I thought the red card for the Watford player seemed a bit harsh.

Player
Manager
John King
Funnily enough, I was confident that both of the VAR decisions would go our way, as I think were most of the people around me. I had no idea how Jennings' goal could have been offside and you could clearly see from behind the goal that the defender got nothing of the ball in the penalty incident. The VAR element was quite fun to be honest, but I still certainly would not want it introduced in the Football League.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
My fear was that they were going to rule it as a tackle outside the box although you could see the mark left on the pitch after the tackle and it started on the line so good decision. I see Pearson was his usual cocky arrogant self after the game. I think he's a decent manager but his attitude stinks.

Player
Manager
John King
My fear was that they were going to rule it as a tackle outside the box although you could see the mark left on the pitch after the tackle and it started on the line so good decision. I see Pearson was his usual cocky arrogant self after the game. I think he's a decent manager but his attitude stinks.
Yes, I agree about Pearson. He always comes across as an arrogant bugger and reminds me a bit of Adams in that regard. He did not even bother to take the pre match press conference and said nothing positive about us after the game. Most of their fans come across the same way on their forum, which is surprising considering they have spent far more of their history at our level(s) than Liverpool's.

Last edited: