• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA . CUP . WATFORD

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
And their goalie DID handle outside the area. The local radio said so and you can see on the BBC website highlights, although it was not on Match of the Day. It was not seen by the officials, so not referred to VAR.
OKWU3592.JPG

Not sure how the linesman missed that one!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think the AR thought that the ball
had come off Clarke before the cross that lead to Jennings goal. It actually came off a Watford player.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well what can I say - was not able to watch the game live but what a great response second half but why on earth do we only switch on at half time? Interesting though that MM suggested he made a tactical error and should have started with 4 at the back but was worried about Woods fitness. Shows how threadbare we are.....
I wonder if he will start playing Ferrier up front alone going forward - he has said before he is better alone like Nors was. Great we will get some more money from the replay but the core bread and butter needs to be how we can start playing decent football for 90 minutes at a time!
Clarke seemed to have done well for the first game with virtually no training with the team (aside from that terrible attempted pass to MM). Hopefully if Monthe is going to go that game will have resulted in a bit more going on the valuation....
Finally well done CBT - that said his performance against Coventry will not easily be forgotten. Yes he is young and we can forgive him and RHM having the odd bad game but laziness no way! He clearly felt the stage was more suitable for him today. MM will hopefully sort him out soon as he will likely be one of the players that will be critical in us staying up....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The only downside I can think of is an extra game in a busy and difficult month. But on balance, I'd take it for the financial and psychological boost. It will be a tough few weeks, which will test the squad physically and mentally, but if we can bring in a couple more decent reinforcements and win at Southend, I'll be happy irrespective of the replay result.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They have pretty much said it will be a similar team for the reply as their focus lies elsewhere this season so we have a great chance of getting a result.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The only downside I can think of is an extra game in a busy and difficult month. But on balance, I'd take it for the financial and psychological boost. It will be a tough few weeks, which will test the squad physically and mentally, but if we can bring in a couple more decent reinforcements and win at Southend, I'll be happy irrespective of the replay result.
We can limit the stress to the squad by playing the weakest team possible on Tuesday night. With Clarke, Woodyard and others coming into the side, and Gilmour, Banks and co. returning from injury fairly soon, there will also be some natural rotation.

Player
Manager
John King
They have pretty much said it will be a similar team for the reply as their focus lies elsewhere this season so we have a great chance of getting a result.
As long as we don't get hammered in the replay - which I don't think we will - it is a win-win situation for us. Even if we are knocked out, the performance yesterday has given the whole club a boost and the money we make from the two matches will be in six figures.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
Something else that is interesting to note from yesterday's game is Clarke's ability to win headers in the opposition box. Our best chance in the first half was his header that went wide of the post, and in the second half his knock-down was nearly turned in by Jennings (shown on the highlights on the BBC website).

That threat from set pieces is something we have lacked all season and will be huge for us.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes we need a presence up there. I noticed his distribution was also quite tidy and did not opt for the classic lump up the field.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With regard to ADD's point about playing Ferrier as a lone striker, I'm unsure that he is suited for that yet. Norwood appeared to drop deeper and create a lot more chances for himself than Morgan does. It could work if the supporting player like CBT and RHM has pace.

Player
ian goodison
on the other forum it said pearson went into rovers dressing room at f/t to say well done to the lads

Player
Manager
John King
With regard to ADD's point about playing Ferrier as a lone striker, I'm unsure that he is suited for that yet. Norwood appeared to drop deeper and create a lot more chances for himself than Morgan does. It could work if the supporting player like CBT and RHM has pace.
Ferrier's best performances for us were against Blackpool and in the second half yesterday and on both occasions he was the lone front man. I think he absolutely is suited to that role, with Jennings behind him. Ferrier is not as quick as Norwood but he is far stronger and can fend off defenders with his strength.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The chances of the replay being on tv look good with man u the other game likely to be shown, though if the arsenal came is a draw that could be on

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Something else that is interesting to note from yesterday's game is Clarke's ability to win headers in the opposition box.

That threat from set pieces is something we have lacked all season and will be huge for us.
He has an excellent goalscoring record for a defender which bears this out; 49 league goals and 62 in total.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The chances of the replay being on tv look good with man u the other game likely to be shown, though if the arsenal came is a draw that could be on
It would be great for the coffers if televised. Will there only be the 2 televised matches?

Player
Manager
John King
I always thought there were three televised replays, two on BT and one on the BBC ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ferrier's best performances for us were against Blackpool and in the second half yesterday and on both occasions he was the lone front man. I think he absolutely is suited to that role, with Jennings behind him. Ferrier is not as quick as Norwood but he is far stronger and can fend off defenders with his strength.
Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough in the previous post. Accepting that playing Ferrier as a lone front man suits him, but wonder does it also suit Rovers with the rest of our squad. He's missed a few games through injury and so far isn't as prolific as Norwood. I'm a tad wary of putting all our eggs into the Ferrier basket. You've seen more of Morgan than me, is he capable of getting the goals we'll need to stay up this season?

Player
Manager
John King
Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough in the previous post. Accepting that playing Ferrier as a lone front man suits him, but wonder does it also suit Rovers with the rest of our squad. He's missed a few games through injury and so far isn't as prolific as Norwood. I'm a tad wary of putting all our eggs into the Ferrier basket. You've seen more of Morgan than me, is he capable of getting the goals we'll need to stay up this season?
I think Ferrier is more capable of scoring goals than any of our other strikers (RHM possibly excepted). However, I don't think we are completely reliant on any one individual, as Jennings, Ferrier, RHM, CBT, Morris and others have weighed in in recent weeks. It is not about placing total reliance on Ferrier. As a team, we have looked more threatening when Jennings has played just off him.

That system has brought the best out of both players in recent weeks, and they are both key players for us.

Player
aldo
tickets go on sale on wed . why the wait get pp filled to the rafters lets give em a proper welcome

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I wonder if a televised match against Watford’s second team will be enough to fill PP. I hope so, as it’s about time the Wirral public gave their team better support.
I look forward to the fourth round draw. At least Peterborough are out. ;)
It’s interesting how fickle even the fans on this forum are. Those who slated Micky before the match are now quiet. To be fair, most of us changed our view of Micky and the team at least once during Saturday’s game.