• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Carlisle v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)

Match result

• Carlisle

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carlisle v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)
Posted by Ian
Brunton Park
Saturday, November 5, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 5, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
If you want quality you have to pay for it.
Indeed, which is what we were supposedly prepared to do on deadline day before those players ended up unavailable and didn’t move anywhere. By that yardstick we should still be able to bring in a L1-ready (or at least half decent) striker in January, subject to availability. On the other hand, if we end up recruiting just another squad filler, some questions will need answering.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s a shame that the ‘highlights’ don’t include the disallowed goal. Even some Carlisle fans said at first glance they couldn’t see why it was chalked off.

I’m a tad sceptical about all the strikers we were interested in suddenly becoming unavailable on deadline day. Are we going to have the funds in January, without selling our better players? Who will be responsible for recruitment now the DoF role is vacant? Micky’s previous forward recruits have been uninspiring on the whole.

drwhoman

It’s a shame that the ‘highlights’ don’t include the disallowed goal. Even some Carlisle fans said at first glance they couldn’t see why it was chalked off.

I’m a tad sceptical about all the strikers we were interested in suddenly becoming unavailable on deadline day. Are we going to have the funds in January, without selling our better players? Who will be responsible for recruitment now the DoF role is vacant? Micky’s previous forward recruits have been uninspiring on the whole.
I know that Glatzel had an operation. Do we have any idea as to when he might be available again or do we effectively write him off?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I know that Glatzel had an operation. Do we have any idea as to when he might be available again or do we effectively write him off?
Don’t know anything definite but he was out for over 6 months after the hamstring injury v Mansfield and as you say an operation after this one. I doubt we’ll
see him again this season but if the operation is a success might be interested when his Liverpool contract expires.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
From what Micky has said its worse than last time so will be out long term. We need to avoid bringing him back again it's just not worth the risk due to his injury record

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King

'Micky's forward recruits are uninspiring'.

Like James Vaughan and Andy Cook (second time), or even Hemmings ? You could even add Mullin to the list, although it did not work for him here. When we have had substantial money to spend they have been excellent, which we have not had in the majority of transfer windows.

Player
Manager
John King
Indeed, which is what we were supposedly prepared to do on deadline day before those players ended up unavailable and didn’t move anywhere. By that yardstick we should still be able to bring in a L1-ready (or at least half decent) striker in January, subject to availability. On the other hand, if we end up recruiting just another squad filler, some questions will need answering.
It will be a loanee, not a League One quality player. The players we missed out on in the summer were loans, and there won't be substantial additional funds available now we are out of the cup.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
From what Micky has said its worse than last time so will be out long term. We need to avoid bringing him back again it's just not worth the risk due to his injury record
Yes sadly we need to stay away from glatzel

I’m not sure there was any suddenness about it. It’s like buying a house, there’s often a chain and the chain can sometimes break. More so in the case of transfers, because of the effect of a window on the market.

Re RLC’s point, I don’t believe it’s been said they were all loan targets. I’d be surprised if all four were. But even if they were, Palios seemed quite adamant we were targeting L1 quality in that area, whether that be the striker equivalent of an established pro like Turnbull or of a young loanee like Simeu.

For this reason, and also for the related issues you raise, it’ll be very interesting to see what we do in January.

Player
Manager
John King
I’m not sure there was any suddenness about it. It’s like buying a house, there’s often a chain and the chain can sometimes break. More so in the case of transfers, because of the effect of a window on the market.

Re RLC’s point, I don’t believe it’s been said they were all loan targets. I’d be surprised if all four were. But even if they were, Palios seemed quite adamant we were targeting L1 quality in that area, whether that be the striker equivalent of an established pro like Turnbull or of a young loanee like Simeu.

For this reason, and also for the related issues you raise, it’ll be very interesting to see what we do in January.
Yes, I agree regarding the reasons for the deals falling through. Palios explicitly said that the clubs involved could not bring in the players they wanted and hence were not prepared to release strikers we had agreed deals for. However, I still think they will be squad players or youngsters rather than genuine League One quality.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
'Micky's forward recruits are uninspiring'.

Like James Vaughan and Andy Cook (second time), or even Hemmings ? You could even add Mullin to the list, although it did not work for him here. When we have had substantial money to spend they have been excellent, which we have not had in the majority of transfer windows.
I chose my words carefully and am disappointed that you opted to misquote me. What I actually said was Micky’s previous forward recruits have been uninspiring on the whole. Vaughan was a good signing, Cook second time was a disappointment and Hemmings the jury's still out on, as I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. Surprised that you mention Mullin, given how negative you usually seem about him, but Micky gave him relatively few opportunities, so he must take a share of the blame for Mullin's failure to show his ability and develop, as he subsequently has at Cambridge and Wrexham. However James Alabi, George Waring, Gerry McDonagh, Stefan Payne and Jordan Ponticelli were all uninspiring signings and we paid a fee for Alabi too. Just as with the money Rovers have we are unable to get the best players at this level, the same is true for managers. Micky is one of the better managers at this level, but he has his weaknesses including forward recruitment.

Player
Manager
John King
I chose my words carefully and am disappointed that you opted to misquote me. What I actually said was Micky’s previous forward recruits have been uninspiring on the whole. Vaughan was a good signing, Cook second time was a disappointment and Hemmings the jury's still out on, as I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. Surprised that you mention Mullin, given how negative you usually seem about him, but Micky gave him relatively few opportunities, so he must take a share of the blame for Mullin's failure to show his ability and develop, as he subsequently has at Cambridge and Wrexham. However James Alabi, George Waring, Gerry McDonagh, Stefan Payne and Jordan Ponticelli were all uninspiring signings and we paid a fee for Alabi too. Just as with the money Rovers have we are unable to get the best players at this level, the same is true for managers. Micky is one of the better managers at this level, but he has his weaknesses including forward recruitment.
I don't accept that forward recruitment is a weakness of his. You get what you pay for. In the transfer windows where has had money to spend, he has brought in good strikers. Hemmings is a good striker. He saw the potential in Mullin before most other managers did, irrespective of his inability to form a partnership with Norwood or his struggles the following season when he was given an extended run in the team.

The centre forward position is the most difficult to fill due to the massive cost of signing strikers relative to other areas of the squad. It is no surprise that our record in signing forwards is mixed, and the same would be true of any other manager at this club, and most other clubs as well. Ponticelli and Payne were only brought here in the summer of 2019 when we did not have a pot to piss in after unexpected back to back promotions and three years in non-league, and Waring and McDonagh were simply squad filler when we already had Norwood and Cook.

Player
Manager
John King
. Just as with the money Rovers have we are unable to get the best players at this level, the same is true for managers.
Did you really just say Mellon is not one of the best managers at this level ?! Because if you did, I find that sentiment utterly laughable.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Did you really just say Mellon is not one of the best managers at this level ?! Because if you did, I find that sentiment utterly laughable.
Is this National Misquotation Day? I clearly said in my remarks Micky is one of the better managers at this level, but he has his weaknesses including forward recruitment. Where he ranks amongst current L2 managers would make an interesting debate. I find your reluctance to acknowledge any weaknesses in his management puzzling. While currently his strengths outweigh those, it is a fluid process.

Player
Manager
John King
Is this National Misquotation Day? I clearly said in my remarks Micky is one of the better managers at this level, but he has his weaknesses including forward recruitment. Where he ranks amongst current L2 managers would make an interesting debate. I find your reluctance to acknowledge any weaknesses in his management puzzling. While currently his strengths outweigh those, it is a fluid process.
I did not claim he has no weaknesses compared to Klopp and Guardiola, so I am not sure why you are so puzzled. However, I do believe he is one of the best managers in this division and, no, I don't think his forward recruitment is particularly poor, not that he is solely responsible for recruitment anyway, as I am sure you are aware.

I would love to know the current League Two managers you think are superior......

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Charlie Savage at man u and Chris Long at Crewe were 2 of the strikers we tried to sign on deadline day, Savage was a done deal only for United to change their minds last minute

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Charlie Savage plays central midfield like his dad. Long might have been decent, don’t know much about him.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We miss out on a second round trip to Walsall. Not the most exciting of ties but the extra money and prospect of a third round tie are gone. They seem to be fixing the draw for Wrexham, who don't really need the money.

Player
Manager
John King
A decent set of results in League Two tonight which leave us three points off the play offs, with all teams in the top half now on seventeen games.