• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Carlisle v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)

Match result

• Carlisle

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carlisle v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)
Posted by Ian
Brunton Park
Saturday, November 5, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 5, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On paper not the most attractive fixture in this year’s FA Cup 1st round and hats off to any of the SWA who make the journey.

For Pizza Trophy games Micky has made a number of changes but my guess is for an FA cup game it’ll be more of the usual suspects.

The big question is whether we stick with the back 5. Given the problems Carlisle caused us at PP, and the clean sheet on Tuesday, I think Micky will stick with it.

As for selection unless injuries I suspect the only possible change is Lewis for Nevitt. Hemmings seems undroppable however if Nevitt is sub it’ll mean two of our top two scorers (Hawkes and Nevitt), are on the bench. Not sure this is a good idea given we don’t score many as it is. Of the 19 goals scored in all competitions this season, Hawkes and Nevitt have 9 between them. However as we have seen Lewis is capable of picking up goals. Could do with Morris starting to chip in as it’s unlikely OConnor and Merrie will contribute.

I’d like McAlear to be given a game but I can’t see it, especially away from home as MM will want the two defensive midfielders behind Morris. I’d still also look at changing the captaincy but again I cant see it happening anytime soon if at all. It might even help Hemmings game if it was taken off him.
Prediction: If we are more solid than we were last Saturday then we are capable of nicking a win, however I just can’t see it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think this is going to go well. They were much better than us last week and if we do play five at the back, we will struggle to score. We could get a draw at best and take it back home but I can't see us winning. Hemmings is in the position where he could not score for another five games but will still get picked as he is the senior figure and has no competition. I personally don't think he's done enough in the last few games but who realistically takes his place?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I can't see anything other than a home win after last week's game. Its a game we really could do with winning for financial reasons

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I get the feeling and I've said it b4 if Kane left in Jan I would not be bothered, Ve saw him a few times if he was in the box and made himself a pain no probs, but he just does not seem interested but as I've said I only seen him a few times, as for the game let us hope we turn up as we need the money to replace the forward line or at least add some players to pressure the supposed strikers we have

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Some overly pessimistic predictions above. No reason why we can't get a result and at least take the game to a replay. Our away form has been better than our home form in recent weeks.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can understand the pessimism, with the dismal home defeat still fresh in the memory. Presume MM will adopt the same approach as Stockport and go 532 to mirror the formation the Cumbrians deployed at Prenton Park. I thought Hewelt might get a game in this, but as Doohan has been put up for the pre-match interview no longer expecting that to happen. To be fair Doohan probably had his best game since Stevenage in midweek. The only change likely is Lewis replacing Nevitt in the starting xi. I'd rather see Hemmings left out on current form, but don't see that happening.

Player
Manager
John King
The pessimism is overdone., The Carlisle game was the only really poor performance, and the only defeat, in the last nine games and we are strengthened by the return of Lewis and Davies. I suspect the game won't simply be a repeat of last Saturday, as that is not how football generally works.

I agree that we will start in a 532 and that Lewis will replace Nevitt. However, I think that is the correct change to make, not because Hemmings has been brilliant recently, but becasue he and Lewis seem to have a good understanding as evidenced in the Sutton game, and we need to freshen things up in the attacking areas. Nevitt has been at his best as a supersub in recent weeks rather than when he has started, and is one of the few players we have who can make an impact from the bench.

Prediction: if we play as we did on Tuesday night there is no reason why we can't at least take the game to a replay.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Perversely, I’m going for a win. I’m expecting an unchanged side (with perhaps Lewis coming in) and formation with a return to winning ways.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You highlighted how big the Carlisle squad is, so quite likely one or two of their absentees might return. Can see the logic of starting with Hemmings-Lewis, because of Nevitt’s supersub reputation. However, Nevitt-Lewis worked pretty well in the first half of the Leeds kids Pizza Cup game, so if Hemmings plays as half-hearted as the last couple of games he should be the one to be hooked for the supersub.

Player
ian goodison
we have had our share of shocking strikers in our time but I expected much more from Hemmings with his reputation but he looks as if he,s doing us a favour just turning up to be honest

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
On a more posative note Charlie Jolley is doing some light training now so maybe back earlier than expected

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
we have had our share of shocking strikers in our time but I expected much more from Hemmings with his reputation but he looks as if he,s doing us a favour just turning up to be honest
I think views on Hemmings are partly down to his general demeanour. He doesn’t have blistering pace like prime Norwood so won’t press which always goes down well with fans. He won’t win many headers because he’s not a target man either. I suspect he just looks lazy at times because of the way he goes about the pitch but I’m sure he’ll be aware that his scoring record isn’t great this season so confidence could be affected. He may even feel he’s been flogged but with our recruitment of injury prone strikers that’s just the way it is

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On a more posative note Charlie Jolley is doing some light training now so maybe back earlier than expected
Good news but we can’t pin too much hope that when fit he’ll come in and solve our goalscoring issues. You never know though

Player
Manager
John King
I think views on Hemmings are partly down to his general demeanour. He doesn’t have blistering pace like prime Norwood so won’t press which always goes down well with fans. He won’t win many headers because he’s not a target man either. I suspect he just looks lazy at times because of the way he goes about the pitch but I’m sure he’ll be aware that his scoring record isn’t great this season so confidence could be affected. He may even feel he’s been flogged but with our recruitment of injury prone strikers that’s just the way it is
I agree with this. I think he is a technical player rather than a striker with great physical attributes.

He is probably better suited to League One than the blood and thunder of League Two. He is clearly a very good player, as his career goalscoring record demonstrates.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky has confirmed pre match no injuries other than the long term ones. Tom Davies not far off and and Lewis ok after Tuesday. He emphasised how important the game is financially and with no game next midweek I’m sure we won’t see many changes From Tuesday which is understandable.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I
I agree with this. I think he is a technical player rather than a striker with great physical attributes.

He is probably better suited to League One than the blood and thunder of League Two. He is clearly a very good player, as his career goalscoring record demonstrates.
indeed and with all due respect to Nevitt, Kane has probably never played with a strike partner who was playing in the eight tier not too long ago. I’m sure hemmings would have loved a fully fit glazel to partner with as the few glimpses we saw were positive, but hey ho.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good point RLC. It is also worth bearing in mind re. Hemmings that he had mental health problems earlier in his career, so low confidence might be a particular issue for him.
Good point, RLC. He has not scored for a while, except at Sutton with a penalty. He celebrated like he’d won the FA Cup, but fair play to him that he even took it.. How would he have felt if he had missed?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is also worth bearing in mind re. Hemmings that he had mental health problems earlier in his career, so low confidence might be a particular issue for him at times.
I guess you wonder if someone has had issues like that is the captaincy a good thing? Could probably inspire someone or perhaps weight them down….

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Interesting reading about Hemmings' mental health issues, which I wasn't previously aware of. He's been very frank about past difficulties and hopefully in a better place mentally, now.

However, despite the encouraging pre-season where he was getting and converting chances, things seem to have gone off the boil recently.