• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Carlisle v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)

Match result

• Carlisle

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carlisle v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)
Posted by Ian
Brunton Park
Saturday, November 5, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 5, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mcalear and Nevitt on for OConnor and Lewis.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
2-0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
McAlear conceding possession led to their second. Disappointing as it sounded like we were getting on top this half

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sounds absolutely woefull, totally outplayed by these yet again

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It was arguably inevitable. They comfortably beat us only 7 days ago with 4 at the back and hawkes playing.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
2-1, 15 to go!

Maybe not 15. Make that about 8. Too little too late?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
FT: 2-1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Full time and it’s a defeat. Perhaps we were pessimistic but it sounds like for most of the game we were second best, I wasn’t surprised You can understand why Micky kept 5 at the back but ultimately it didn’t work.

In the last 5 games that’s 3 draws, 2 defeats and 2 goals scored I think. But no goals scored in 3

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Last few games we’ve been pretty poor. Lots of hard work on the training ground then!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think most of us were expecting this, Sounded like Rovers, early Hemmings effort aside were very poor in the first half and got caught out after a spell of our pressure at the start of the second. Despite Byrne's goal late on, it didn't feel like we did much to test their keeper. Simeu picking up a knock too. The difficulty is that we seem to be lacking options to turn things around.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Always disappointing when we don’t make any progress in the FA Cup.
Didn’t like the look of this draw and the result justified my pessimism.
Over the two games v Carlisle, they’ve just been better than us.
A quick upturn in the league now required to get back to positive mindsets for all.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The strength of the squad is a real issue. We all know we don’t have any real striker competition and if we’re playing attacking wide men who can give Morris and Hawkes competiton?

Ultimately it’s a resource issue. Stockport made 7 changes today after their draw with us and still beat Swindon 4-0

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The strength of the squad is a real issue. We all know we don’t have any real striker competition and if we’re playing attacking wide men who can give Morris and Hawkes competiton?

Ultimately it’s a resource issue. Stockport made 7 changes today after their draw with us and still beat Swindon 4-0
The budget has not been spent very well and our Dof has gone and not been replaced. With no cup money coming in we are likely to have to generate funds through player sales.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Swindon are our next opponents, made a few changes from their 2-5 at Mansfield but kept the same front 3. Hard to predict what they’ll be like…

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Any reports will be interesting. What I’ve seen on social media albeit which can be over the top says how poor we were in the first half. Micky made a lot pre match about from a financial point of view it was a massive game so if we’ve not turned up for most of it then that is a concern. Then again is it simply a case of the players not being good enough on a consistent basis?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky admits we were poor first half and surrendered our FA Cup place far too easily. We’re a young group still learning etc.

I still keep thinking back to how we weren’t far away last season to the play offs and top 3. Did we really have to rip everything up and start with this new policy? It does feel like we’ve gone backwards at times.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That's the risk you take I suppose. They opted for youth this time, so you are going to have huge inconsistencies throughout the season. Having said that, there were quite a few experienced heads out there today. Morris, Hemmings, Lewis, O'Connor. It is more the back line that does not have much experience running through it. Simeu, Jameson, Bristow, Doohan. Add to that the problems up front and it's a tough slog at times. I said a week or so we would have to battle and fight for wins at times and I don't think we are digging deep enough in some games.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Micky admits we were poor first half and surrendered our FA Cup place far too easily. We’re a young group still learning etc.

I still keep thinking back to how we weren’t far away last season to the play offs and top 3. Did we really have to rip everything up and start with this new policy? It does feel like we’ve gone backwards at times.
Where is the risk taking that was promised, its been conspicuous by its absence. We don't look any more likely to score this season than last, not enough was done recruitment wise to make us more creative or score more.