• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

FA Cup Carlisle v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)

Match result

• Carlisle

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Carlisle v Rovers (FA Cup 1st Round)
Posted by Ian
Brunton Park
Saturday, November 5, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, November 5, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Where is the risk taking that was promised
I think that was just nonensense talk Bigmart, maybe some frustration at the time, it was certainly out of character.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Also, how many times recently have we had a 'really poor 1st half'?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Also, how many times recently have we had a 'really poor 1st half'?
Yes I was thinking that. Rochdale and Harrogate from memory. Carlisle we were poor all game and Stockport first half wasn’t great

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
hi all just got home after a 14-hour day and had to listen to the radio shitside they only ever have rovers on the FA cup 1st round day 1st half we were shit nothing in the team no threat up front and they silly errors for both the home goals, improved second half but let us face it and stop the bullshitting we needed a run in this comp and now will have to look at the pizza comp but the team and manager have let themselves down and also the fans we don't score enough we just don't have goals in the team it's just getting boring same shit different game MP wanted goals goals goals we want entertainment to fill the ground and pay higher prices you want to be entertained but we are not getting it ahhhhhhhhh rant over also Hemmings did nothing apart missing the 1 on 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Disappointing that we did not take the tie to a replay after an improved second half performance. The real killer was the soft concession of the second goal after an individual error by McAlear in a period when we were well on top. In fact, both of the goals we conceded resulted from individual errors, the first by Doohan.

The first half was very poor and similar to last Saturday's performance. Carlisle started the game aggressively and pressed high and we struggled to cope, turning over possession too cheaply and failing to win enough second balls. We did not look comfortable in the 532 formation and had particular problems down our left side, where Gibson kept exploiting the gap between Jameson and Bristow. I have seen some criticism of Ethan above, and he was not great, but Jameson was the real issue. He struggled with his positioning and was rash and beaten far too easily. I just don't trust either Byrne or Jameson defensively.

We seemed to have weathered the storm and got a foothold in the game around the twenty minute mark. However, a mistake by Doohan, who parried a shot he should have held, gifted Carlisle the opening goal. All of that said, the team performance was poor in the first forty five minutes and we were probably lucky still to be in the game at half time.

In the second half we switched to a 442 and introduced Nevitt and McAlear and were much better. We actually dominated the half and played some decent football but, as commented above, the gift of a second goal, with McAlear giving the ball away on the edge of our own eighteen yard box, gave us a mountain to climb. To give credit to the players they continued to battle and deservedly pulled a goal back, and Carlisle were hanging on in the final fifteen minutes.

Individually, I thought O'Connor and Merrie had decent games and Davies looked very assured on his return, probably the biggest positive of the afternoon. I also thought Hemmings had a very good second half, getting the assist for our goal and putting in another wicked delivery which should have been finished. McAlear also did ok other than the mistake referred to above.

We obviously have a real issue with consistency, both within games and between games, but there was some encouragement in the second half performance. I think we will revert to 442 for a while now. To give credit to Carlisle, they are the best side I have seen this season, but the game was not the humiliation some were forecasting........

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC. It’s a shame that after a decent performance against Stockport, Doohan made a mistake. My memory isn’t great but I’m sure there have been others this season. Although relatively inexperienced at 24 he’s not a youngster and has looked shaky and timid at times. I don’t think it would improve our fortunes but is it worth giving Hewelt a go?

Player
Manager
John King
Just to add, I think Simeu's 'goal' should probably have been allowed. I have not seen a replay, but it looked like he was simply shoulder to shoulder with the keeper and the keeper failed to hold the ball.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With regard to the difficulties on our left, it was the commentary with Simon Haworth as summariser who were name-checking Bristow as having a problem. That may be down to Jameson's failings, though he didn't get mentioned so much by the Merseyside team. Fwiw, I thought Jameson had a reasonable game v Stockport, while Bristow has been flaky defending in recent games.

Player
Manager
John King
Bristow is inconsistent defensively due to his inexperience. However, I think Jameson is erratic and unsettles the defence generally.

Bristow looked better when Jameson was not in the defence alongside him.

The first half performance was not just the result of those two, but I think we look more solid with a back four and Jameson / Byrne out of the team.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Jameson although has done ok at times he was released by relegated Oldham. Overall I agree with RLC that both him and Byrne are not great and certainly capable of being in a team challenging for promotion.

They are adequate as back up for turnbull, Davies and Simeu.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the goals. The mistake by Doohan js absolutely shocking. Mcalears less so but still leaves you thinking without two individual errors we could have won the game

Player
Manager
John King
Just watched the goals. The mistake by Doohan js absolutely shocking. Mcalears less so but still leaves you thinking without two individual errors we could have won the game
Carlisle were much the better side in the first half, and probably feel they did enough in that half to deserve the victory.

However, as you say, without those errors we would have been well in the game, and we had them stretched in the final twenty minutes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's all if's and but's though. We lost, again and are now out of the cup. Let's ditch the 532 to start with and go from there. We need 90-minute performances.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would also have been a different game if Hemmings had converted the early chance. Goalkeeping mistakes are usually fatal, but let's not go OTT, have seen worse than Doohan's in my time following Rovers, while we seemed to have a few things going against us for Carlisle's second goal.

Player
Manager
John King
I am a supporter of Doohan and always have been. However, his error today did have a significant bearing on the outcome.

Hemmings played well today and his chance in the first half was not a sitter by any means.

drwhoman

While there were clearly defensive issues at Carlile they would be skated over if we had strikers who could actually score regularly. Norwood was the last one who fitted into that category. When did he leave? 3 years ago? Budget keeps getting mentioned but how many centre backs did we sign in the summer? I think we have five now?

While there were clearly defensive issues at Carlile they would be skated over if we had strikers who could actually score regularly. Norwood was the last one who fitted into that category. When did he leave? 3 years ago? Budget keeps getting mentioned but how many centre backs did we sign in the summer? I think we have five now?
Vaughan?

There must‘ve been budget to have been in for any one (or two) of four strikers on deadline day, supposedly of L1 calibre. Iirc Palios indicated that those four ended up not moving because their clubs had been unable to bring in their target replacements, as opposed to us not being able to afford them.

We’ll surely move for at least one striker in January. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of quality we attract.

Player
Manager
John King
Vaughan?

There must‘ve been budget to have been in for any one (or two) of four strikers on deadline day, supposedly of L1 calibre. Iirc Palios indicated that those four ended up not moving because their clubs had been unable to bring in their target replacements, as opposed to us not being able to afford them.

We’ll surely move for at least one striker in January. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of quality we attract.
Hemmings also fits into that category based on career record.

Just reflecting on Hemmings' performance today, in the second half he had lots of balls threaded into his feet from Merrie or McAlear and seemed to thrive on it. That is the kind of service he needs, not long punts or crosses knocked into the box (even good quality ones).