• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Trialists

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
flanagan is lpool's 4th choice fullback, eng u21 international, prospect etc

they won't loan him out to league 1 to play centre half

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
Squad

Just having a look at the squad and i am not too disappointed so far. It is obvious we need a centre half...but i have confidence in Ronnie to come through on that. I also still think that we are going to have goal scoring problems and shouldn't rely to much of Cassidy (although he did have a storming loan spell for us) so i would like to see another striker signed. Maybe a target man is what we do need, but a target man that can get the ball, hold it up and actually understands the role (unlike Show or Tiryaki). Once the likes of Championship and Premiership clubs name their squads for the season there may be scope for a few youngsters who arent going to be playing a massive part to join us, so i think the next couple of weeks will be interesting...not only for us but other teams in the division.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Just having a look at the squad and i am not too disappointed so far. It is obvious we need a centre half...but i have confidence in Ronnie to come through on that. I also still think that we are going to have goal scoring problems and shouldn't rely to much of Cassidy (although he did have a storming loan spell for us) so i would like to see another striker signed. Maybe a target man is what we do need, but a target man that can get the ball, hold it up and actually understands the role (unlike Show or Tiryaki). Once the likes of Championship and Premiership clubs name their squads for the season there may be scope for a few youngsters who arent going to be playing a massive part to join us, so i think the next couple of weeks will be interesting...not only for us but other teams in the division.

Ronnie found it very difficult in his previous spell (as manager) to get centre half,s in, so why are you so confident now.....?

Up front we need experience not kids like Cassidy...maybe it won,t happen for him this time..has.nt scored pre season so far so..

Player
Goodison
I don't see what's wrong with playing Vaulks, I'd rather play our young player for a month than some random player from another club who we will never see again.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't see what's wrong with playing Vaulks, I'd rather play our young player for a month than some random player from another club who we will never see again.
+1

In response to Amplesou, think Vaulks is a Brit. Ronnie's previous recruits at central defence include decent players like Kay, Chorley along with bringing back Goodi to play him there rather than left-back as Little had done. He does have this obsession with big central defenders though...

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Ronnie found it very difficult in his previous spell (as manager) to get centre half,s in, so why are you so confident now.....?

Up front we need experience not kids like Cassidy...maybe it won,t happen for him this time..has.nt scored pre season so far so..

cant work out which statement i disagree with more

Player
Goodison

Apart from Goodison, Chorley and Kay - our 3 best defenders in the last 10+ years.

You mean expereince like Gareth Taylor et al? Personally I'd prefer a young player who actually scores goals, like erm, Cassidy.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Apart from Goodison, Chorley and Kay - our 3 best defenders in the last 10+ years.

You mean expereince like Gareth Taylor et al? Personally I'd prefer a young player who actually scores goals, like erm, Cassidy.

Goodison he inherited just like this time..ok resigned
Chorley first season was crap ..ala Graham allen ,very average

Kay played all/most his games at midfield ,would,nt be good enough for centre half first choice ..

Ronnie took on the injury prone lad from crewe (hamstrings)if memory serves..who did ok but >>?

Graham tayor was a centre forward so i don,t quite see the comparison ..

But another good player ousted out by the fans imo..

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
cant work out which statement i disagree with more

There wil be 2/3 games a week coming up against an experience 11, who will try and beat us with experience in div 1

Kids and skill and all that BS won,t win many of them ...imo

come out of your pre season comma ...and get real

sorry...but my memory is fading but i don,t forget how tuff it is after the bala of pre season matches..
\\:D/

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
There wil be 2/3 games a week coming up against an experience 11, who will try and beat us with experience in div 1

Kids and skill and all that BS won,t win many of them ...imo

in their last season for the club:

taylor scored 5 in 42 games

showunmi scored 4 in 30 games

cassidy scored 5 in 10 games

bolded part infers one of the worst arguments i've ever read on this forum: skill doesn't win you games, relative age does?

Goodison he inherited just like this time..ok resigned
Chorley first season was crap ..ala Graham allen ,very average

Kay played all/most his games at midfield ,would,nt be good enough for centre half first choice ..

i didn't like kay and even i'll admit that he would have strolled into our back 4 at any point since leaving. chorley goes without saying. rm arguably saved goodison's career.

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
Ronnie has been unlucky with injurys and i do agree with Ronnie that the chesterfield game should have been put back a week but i dont think it going to make much difference with having the first game of the season on saturday.regarding our defence Ian goodison this will probably be his last season and people that comment on vaulkes i havent seen much of the lad play but by reports he may be a good young prospect but he is only 18 and Ronnie might want to try and get a experienced defender on loan i bring the point up again i said flanagan of liverpool why not try and get him for a month to help our defence he isnt going to be playing for liverpool first team well maybe he will be on the bench but we need someone.and also we need another striker and a experienced one at that.what happened with Francis Jeffers did tranmere not bother keeping hold of him.i hope Jake Cassidy does well in his loan spell.\\:D/

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Young players, developing like Lucas Atkins, did really well in his last games for us and got him self a (good?) move in the process....

But some fans will never let go, of past performances..

Sad really...especially for a club that needs to develop young talent ...

Player
Goodison
Stop going on about Akins! He's useless, end of.

If you're looking for Ronnie's weaknesses when you're talking about his supposed problems with defenders/strikers, I think he has two major weaknesses.

The first is bringing young players through from the youth system, which you sort of touch on in your last post. Moore's current ignoring of Vaulks is testament to this. The players from our youth system who will get a chance under Moore are those who are physically imposing in some way. Last time Moore was here Taylor, Curran and Gornell we're given a chance - all 3 players are phyiscally imposing in some way, whilst the likes of Jones, Pursehouse and even Holmes were not given a look in.

I would argue that if Tranmere had a youth team with Curran, Gornell, Hume and Jennings at the same time - Hume and Jennings would not get a chance. I do hope that the likes of Warwick Rimmer or Shaun Garnett try and encourage Moore to select young players based on something besides their physical stature but I doubt this is going to happen.

Ronnie's second problem is playing away from home. Unfortunately he doesn't adapt his 4-4-2 to play away from home very effectively. It occasionally works - 2-0 at Leeds and Oldham for example, but more often then not we get caught out wide because the wide players aren't encouraged to track back enough, or worse still we go 1 or 2-0 up and throw it away. The Bristol City game a few years back always reminds me of this, as does a game at Peterborough.

Hopefully this time around Moore will encourage the team to hold the midfield together more effectively away from home as this is where we often get overran away from home, as the wingers don't tuck in or trackback to any great extent.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Getting worried re lack of movement for centre backs. Surprised no trialists from failing Euro countries such as Spain. I gather some of their second tier clubs, who often recruit from African continent, are struggling to pay wages and only get similar attendances to our divison - so possible hunting ground.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
unless these players from spain write to the club asking for a trial, and are already in the country, we can't really do a lot

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Was hoping we would have the odd contact over there or know somebody who knows someone. They all must have released player lists. Given economic downturn it could have been a good pool to recruit from.

Player
Goodison
Wasn't Antwi from a lower division spanish club before he went to Liverpool? :shock: