• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Trialists

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I think the signing of Wallace shows how we really should tap into the loan system from the close by Prem clubs as the vast majority of their youngsters don't make it through and can come to PP to ply their trade.

Anthony McNamee I have always liked - tricky winger with lots of pace but currently on trial at Bradford - Ronnie should go for him

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It looks like Tony Silva may be signing for Barnsley.

A variety of unfamiliar names on show at Lairds tonight. One player who isn't featuring is Lucas Akins...

drwhoman

Silva has signed for Barnsley on a permanent basis. End of the month is crunch time for players looking for a gig as their one month parachute payments (from the PFA?) finish. If you have commitments..... See how the trialists go. They definately need one or two decent ones. We are light on numbers if we get any injuries and you cannot completely rely on short term loanees.

drwhoman

Good 3-0 win at Lairds. Did anyone go and have views on the trialists? Doing a bit of surfing - I see Mooney the Irish goalie is 6ft 9in!! A huge advantage if he is agile when going low. Mehmet is a former Rochdale junior - seems to have scored a few goals at youth level. Franca is Dutch - started at Feyenoord and then had four years at Breda. Not done much since. Gharzoul is a Tunisian who spent a few years playing for Sedan in France. He last played in Iran. Could not find anything on Riley although he may be American. These guys come from everywhere!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Riley was on Wigan's books and lives on the Wirral apparently.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
According to the OS, Rovers have only a couple of trialists at the moment, not counting Franny Jeffers. They are a young Irish keeper released by Wycombe and the incredibly named Abdoulai Bell-Baggie. ABB is a two-footed winger who was capped for England U16 and U17 when with Reading, but has done little since. He was in the Conference last season but didn't get many games. He played on loan for a few weeks under Ronnie at Rotherham. Ronnie has described him as "an impact player". Mustn't judge too early, but it does show what a small budget Ronnie must have.
I see we've signed ABB as well as Jason Mooney - and FJ is still training with us. I expect Ronnie to sign at least three more players (striker, centre back and winger/midfielder).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Liam Chilvers on subs bench tonight, plenty of experience aged 30 centre half.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Strong rumours that Akins going to Stevenage we signing Cassidy on loan till january and signing Joe Thompson from Rochdale, will be happy if true.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Strong rumours that Akins going to Stevenage we signing Cassidy on loan till january and signing Joe Thompson from Rochdale, will be happy if true.

If all that happens, I'll go out and buy a hat, just to eat it!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If all that happens, I'll go out and buy a hat, just to eat it!
I wouldn't be surprised if all this happens, as it makes sense to me. Ronnie won't want to keep an unhappy player, so if he can get cash and line up a decent replacement, Akins will be off. Signing Cassidy for six months makes sense for him, Wolves and Rovers. He needs the experience of first-team football to break into Wolves' first team and hopefully he has a good relationship with Ronnie. Joe Thompson has a good pedigree, is out of contract and won't want to drop to League 2.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From Ronnie's comments on the official site, it sounds like the priority is a central defender and whoever we get is going to walk into the starting line up. Yes, we've been poor at set-pieces, but overall is the defence that bad? Goodison will be returning too...

I'd like to see Cassidy back, but by no means a done deal as yet. If he does come, will there be funds left to recruit Tehoue/Jeffers, if Ronnie wants either? As for Joe Thompson, not sure how good he is. He didn't register in the way AA did when Rochdale played us, though if we're in profit after deals involving him and Akins, it will probably be good business.

It sounds like Robinson + Wallace were good in midfield, but Palmer wasn't. If it's one of those deals we're obliged to play him or pay more, then certainly for away games he'd be better deployed out wide than in the middle. My preference would be for Max Power or Harrison in the centre on current showings.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Ronnie's comment about the centre half suggests that he really doesn't rate McChrystal at all. Vaulks played well at centre back in the first half at Heswall, but apparently RM doesn't rate him that highly either. Like Boz, I don't remember too much about Thompson but presumably he is solid enough. I think Palmer has been low key in midifeld, but has used the ball well and has been better than most people are suggesting.

Up front, I think the loss of Burgess is pretty significant for us. For the first time in ages we were going into the season with two experienced strikers, whereas we will now bw playing Akpro and a rookie / square peg in round hole. This is not ideal given RM's prefernce for 4-4-2. Cassidy is a good player, but is still raw, and pretty similar to Akpro in style: will they be able to form a partnership ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Balint Bajner 6'5" Hungarian striker on trial. Doesn't seem to have a great pedigree, though spent some time on loan to West Ham. Seems Ronnie's still keen on a target man...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It looks like the Tehoue deal is dead then, which is a shame. He played ok in the matches I saw and looked brilliant in the highlights at Fleetwood.

It would have been nice to have a striker with strength and mobility rather than the stereotypical big galoot often seen in the lower divisions.

drwhoman

I agree RLC. I suppose Tehoue wanted more money or a club closer to France! On players, I see Antony Kay has signed for Franchise and Craig Curran for Rochdale.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Balint Bajner 6'5" Hungarian striker

i, for one, am sold

get him

On players, I see Antony Kay has signed for Franchise and Craig Curran for Rochdale.

curran would have been a good replacement for akins

edit: cant work out if that's a joke or a serious point, possibly a bit of both

tea for two

Player
johnny morrissey
we wouldent want craig curran back he wasent too bad but we dont want too many former players.on antony kay it would have been good to get him but M K Dons can pay more money than what we can offer.we could still do with another striker im not sure about akpro he might be ok but what i saw of him against marine im not sure.thinking about the defence why dont Ronnie try and loan flanagan from Liverpool for 3 months.he would answer our problem and it would help the central defence problem as goodison not getting any younger.:-D