• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Trialists

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
According to the OS, Rovers have only a couple of trialists at the moment, not counting Franny Jeffers. They are a young Irish keeper released by Wycombe and the incredibly named Abdoulai Bell-Baggie. ABB is a two-footed winger who was capped for England U16 and U17 when with Reading, but has done little since. He was in the Conference last season but didn't get many games. He played on loan for a few weeks under Ronnie at Rotherham. Ronnie has described him as "an impact player". Mustn't judge too early, but it does show what a small budget Ronnie must have.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I suppose we shouldn't expect much and just hope ronnie unearths a few gems a bit like we did with the likes of Buchanan who was released by Hamilton in Scotland and unheard of but was our player of the season. OFW was another who wasn't a big name, but has been quality.

Still plenty of time and have trust in Ronnie.

Now pre season training has started, we may see more transfer activity as players will want to get themselves fixed up with a club

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not so sure we're that badly off. Akpa Akpro was apparently offered more money by us than Rochdale. Suspect funds are being held back for a half-decent winger and to part-fund the wages of the loanee central midfielder. Ronnie has indicated that the reserve keeper will be a youngster and has delegated that decision to the goalie coach. If recent seasons, including those with RM at the helm are an indicator, there will be a number of trialists, but only one or two will get an offer.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I suppose my main concern is that half way through July we have only two trialists of dubious quality. Against this, Les did unearth McGurk, McChrystal, Akins, Holmes and Buchanan from non-league, Scottish and Irish sources. None of them had any pedigree but have all done well in League 1. Let's hope Ronnie can find one or two more.

Perhaps things are moving slower this summer. Even the Premier League has been very quiet with not a single "marquee" signing to date.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Things to bear in mind:

Due to the (insert expletive) Olympics, our season begins a fortnight later, so the point of comparison is where we were at the start of last July. Les had signed OFW and the 2 Sunderland loanees permanently by then, so Burgess, Akpa Akpro, Wallace and Black puts us at least on a par. As for the lack of marquee signing in the Prem, Ferguson said this week that things always move slower in years where there is a World Cup or the Euros.

Realistically, given Ronnie's stated intention of a smaller squad, we've probably only got 3 or 4 more players to get in, although like Raven last year, a trialist may impress enough to change the plans. I would hope that the net is cast widely again, as you highlight players who have been perfectly capable at L1 level

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Perhaps things are moving slower this summer. Even the Premier League has been very quiet with not a single "marquee" signing to date.

Hazard was a huge signing. Kagawa, Podolski and Giroud are all big signings.

No need to panic re: our transfer activity yet. We've brought in some good players so far.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not at all concerned by the level of transfer activity thus far. Recent seasons under both Les and Barnes have seen us go into the final week of pre-season under strength in certain ares, or in the case of Barnes, even start the season with one third of the squad missing.

What is noticeable to me is that the quality of established player we have attracted is a definitely a notch up on the last three seasons, and we have signed these players earlier so they will get a full pre-season with the club. This time last year we had not brought in established players of the calibre of Wallace and Akpro, and were never seriously linked with a player of the quality of Kay.

Given that the wages we are offering are apparently still rubbish, as highlighted by Boz above, this suggests that a) wages are falling and squads becoming smaller at other L1 clubs and b) Ronnie has greater pulling power when it comes to established pros, although Les did have a talent for unearthing unproven gems.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Erm... did he?

Danny Holmes - yes. But I'm struggling to think of any others.

Buchanan was on trial here and had been overlooked by other clubs, similarly Raven; Wallace was actually Les's signing on his loan spell; Labadie was a success at least initially, and does have talent; McGurk and McChrystal are both decent players at this level.

But the point of my post was to emphasise that RM is better at recruiting.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

That is an interesting point. I think Ronnie, due to his reputation as a player, is arguably better equipped to attract players than Les. However he tends to be more conservative in his recruitment; players who are well-established or those he's worked with before. Sometimes it works; Kay and Chorley, others it doesn't think Ellison and Mullin. Ideally, there's a happy medium somewhere in between.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
I'm not convinced that prospective players really care who they are playing under, unless they have worked with that manager previously. Ultimately I think money talks more than anything. We don't have any more than we used to, but other clubs have gradually cut their budget year by year; hence the quality of player we are able to bring in has risen a little bit I think.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Buchanan was on trial here and had been overlooked by other clubs, similarly Raven; Wallace was actually Les's signing on his loan spell; Labadie was a success at least initially, and does have talent; McGurk and McChrystal are both decent players at this level.

I would agree with your point totally, but I wouldn't agree that anby of thiose players are 'gems' apart from Wallace.

Labadie has potential but seemed a complete loose cannon, Buchanan had played for Bury, Raven for other clubs, and the jury is still out on McChrystal after a less than convincing season last year.

McGurk - not convinced by him at all although he does have potential.

However, Ronnie at this stage has shown he is more capable of putting a squad together.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
I'm not convinced that prospective players really care who they are playing under, unless they have worked with that manager previously. Ultimately I think money talks more than anything. We don't have any more than we used to, but other clubs have gradually cut their budget year by year; hence the quality of player we are able to bring in has risen a little bit I think.

Exactly, those moaners on here saying we have a small budget..anyway what do they know....?

the key for the relagated champion sides is to off load ....if they can,t then more chance they will stay in div 1 imo..

DIW

Player
Goodison
Exactly, those moaners on here saying we have a small budget..anyway what do they know....?

Are you suggesting we don't have a small budget? Do you know something we don't? Are we about to splash the cash? Alot of your posts are completely ridiculous.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
It does not help, going on about our small budget when we lose or what ever,or reason for not affording players ..last season we could not afford a certain player who was training with us ...but in the end we got him ...he got released at the end of the season so no good in the end...

Completely ridiculous... really jeez...!

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I was talking to someone who works at the club. They reckoned the average wage at Tranmere is around the £1200 per week. Thats over £62,000 per year! Hardly loose change.

Yes in the scheme of things its not a lot compared to those in the PL who are on double this per WEEK, but it is still a decent figure. I think SonkORLY was spot on. We were one of the first clubs in the lower leagues to recognise that the only way small clubs would be able to survive is if they become self sufficient and dont spend beyond their means. Because we were ahead of the pack it meant we struggled to bring in the type of players we wanted while other teams over spent. Suddenly most teams in L1 and 2 have come to the realisation that financial prudence is the way forward and as a result players are not getting the deals they once demanded. Players will eventually be forced into joining clubs they may not have considered and the calibre of player you can pick up will improve.

We are a testament to this already this season. Wallace had other offers including one from Everton, Akpo was wanted by Bury. There are literally hundreds of players all over Europe still without a club and there will be some quality left for those that hold their nerve and dont panic sign. We are in a good position at the moment with most of the squad already in and training together. We still need possibly 3 players to balance the squad out and I am reasonably hopeful these may prove to have a little quality about them. We also have trialists to come in and there is still plenty of time.

As we are now we have enough players to start the season, the squad just needs a little fine tuning. I would say Tony Kay, Hume and that lad from Sheff Wed we have been linked with (think his name is Palmer) should just about do us! Oh and Franny Jeffers.\\:D/

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
It was interesting to see DIW comment on McCrystal's less than convincing season. We also have Goodi who can't go on forever and may not be the force he was, and Ash is prone to confidence dips, although Ronnie reckons he will play at a better level....I think he might. Maybe signing Kay will give cover at centre half - otherwise I think we are thin on the ground.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Stevenage rumoured to had an offer rejected for Akins who has put in a transfer request which was rejected.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think we should accept that Kay isn't coming here and move on. We've got 3 central defenders plus Vaulks for at least 6 months and Danny Holmes can fill in there too, so Ronnie probably doesn't see it as a priority.

Don't know much about Palmer and my Owls-supporting mate isn't responding to texts atm. At first glance, he seems promising, but is also relatively inexperienced, something we're lacking in central midfield.

Akins is a difficult one. We haven't recruited a single winger yet, so to lose someone who can play wide and has some pace won't be welcome. It does seem a bit like a re-run of the offer for Enoch last year, which, with hindsight, we should have taken.